Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 2, 2005, 2:14 PM   #1

I am looking to buy an ultra-compact camera. I am not too concerned with features or anything on the camera. I really just want something that can take good indoor and outdoor pictures, has a decent zoom and the smaller it is the better. I am not too picky when it comes to brand or anything or price, so anything from about $200-$400 is fine. I liked the Casio Exilim cameras, but again, I am not really sure. Just looking for some expert advice. Thanks for the help.

Matt
mdcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2005, 3:00 PM   #2

take a look at the canon sd20

my friend has a sd10 and it takes amazing pictures
travlswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 5:03 PM   #3

Don't know how much these cameras are but you should look at Canon SD300 (or SD200) or Panasonic FX7 or Sony W1... Casios are good for their price but many consider them slightly inferior to Canon and Sony...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 5:41 PM   #4

Great suggestions above - I would love to have an FX7.... Anyway, here is another suggestion to consider. Take a look at the review for the Nikon 3700. It's not the ultimate small camera, but right now you can get a $100 rebate, making the price about $130. It would be a great inexpensive way to get into point&shoot digital photgraphy, and you would have to spend quite a bit more to get any camera that would be substantially better.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 8:31 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice guys.

I checked out those cameras...one thing I noticed was the Sony W1 was a bit bigger and heavier than other ultra-compacts like the Casio Exilim line. Really the smaller the better. Thanks.

If I get a really tiny one that may not be as good quality, will I really notice a difference in the pictures if I print them out like 8x10 lets say?

Matt
Old Feb 3, 2005, 11:48 AM   #6

mdcomp wrote:
Quote:
If I get a really tiny one that may not be as good quality, will I really notice a difference in the pictures if I print them out like 8x10 lets say?

Matt
If you get a GOOD pic then there is no difference; If a pic turns out ok then there is little difference between the cameras....

Where the differences show up is in getting a good pic. In general, the smaller ultra-compacts tend to be a bit more noisy (sensor smaller), have weaker flash, cause more red-eye problems, and so on.

The pic quality is the same between the cameras, roughtly speaking. However the larger cameras are more flexible and let you take pics over wider range of conditions. For example, a weaker flash would mean that the subject has to be closer to you.

In any case, all the cameras mentiond here are ultra-compacts and quasi-ultra-compacts so they are all close enough. Where you will see a differnece is if you compare ultra-compacts (eg. Canon SD300) to compacts (eg. Canon A95) to low-end prosumers (eg. Canon S1 IS) to mid-end prosumers (eg. Canon G6)...
Old Feb 3, 2005, 11:25 PM   #7

I have a Kyocera SL300R camera and I like it a lot. It's small but takes good pictures with it's Carl Zeiss lens system. I can easily print 8 x 10s and have printed sucessfully at much larger sizes. The camera didn't get great reviews anywhere but if you look in the Kyocera section of this board you will find that people who own one of these cameras, or their Contax cousins, are happy with them. The one major drawback is battery life. I get roughly 50 pictures per battery before I swap to my second battery.
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 1:45 AM   #8

you can consider sony-p150 too i guess..what do the experts here think?
kazaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 9:09 AM   #9

kazaan wrote:
Quote:
you can consider sony-p150 too i guess..what do the experts here think?
Sony P150 is bigger... the cameras discussed here are smaller ultra-compacts so I don't know...
Old Feb 6, 2005, 3:49 PM   #10

Thanks for everything guys. I am going to go to the store this week to check out all the cameras in person, as most of my research has been online so far. Once I see what size camera works for me, I can better choose one from the aforementioned suggestions. Thanks again.

Matt