Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:31 PM   #11

nasticsmom wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for all the input!!

Can anyone suggest a camera with higher ISO's?? Would the Pana FZ20 be a better choice?
Just about all of the point&shoots only go up to ISO 400. There probably are a few that go to maybe 800, but off the top of my head I don't know of any. The other choice would be to use a camera with a fast lens, and hope that it will compensate for the lack of high ISO ability. If you will only be a few feet away and can take pics at the wide setting, then you could consider the Canon G6, which has about as fast a lens as you will find in a p&s.

In the end, it is unlikely that you will get great shots with a p&s in such a low light situation. There just isn't enough light to get the high shutter speeds you will need to capture athletic movement. Take into consideration that the good shots you do see of such competition are taken with cameras thathave the high ISO's that allow the high shutter speeds needed to freeze movement. The FZ20's lens is only slightly faster than the S1's, and only goes to ISO 400 anyway. It might provide marginally better results, but it won't be a great leap.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:31 AM   #12

My S1 takes beautiful pics in both the dark and the bright. Is it possible that you were using this camera in Auto mode???

I use mine in P,M TV, AV and "C" exclusivly and get good LOW NOISE relults... So, I have to wonder if you gave yourself enough time to learn this camera?? Anyhow, for the record I disagree strongly.

Also, consider f3.1 is not that bad at full tele thats 1 stop difference. hardley a dicision killer if you ask me. Heck, the fuji is worse then that.
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:53 AM   #13

Larry, All I can say is what I found in a real life comparison, I guess you're calling me a liar?the Canonvideo had a lot of noise in low light (indoors at night, average lighting) as compared to the Fugi! in fact, colors were starting to bleed, and noise was visible using it in record mode,(hooked up to the tv) like a videocam. At times I couldn't get it to focus to take a still shot at all! in auto mode under these conditions, plus the auto white balance kept giving everything a yellow cast. Daylight indoors was better, still not as good as the Fugi,outdoors shotswere fine, but a little soft. The slightly "brighter then life" colors tend to sway people.I tried to like this camera, because it had some nice extra features, but in 2 days it DIED! wouldn't power up at all??? So, back it went to Dell yesterday.

P.S. It was brandnew, but didn't have the black dot on the batt door, so I guess no factory firmware update, snapshots would blank out the EVF
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 11:59 AM   #14

Hey guys! I thought that the women's scrapbooking boards could get heated. I nicknamed them the "cat box" but I guess you guys get heated too. It's all about perception not absolute truth. I do find a difference between individual cameras of the same model and this may be a case of this.
doglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 2:16 PM   #15

MikDee wrote:
Quote:
Larry, All I can say is what I found in a real life comparison, I guess you're calling me a liar?
Larry did not call you a liar - in fact his post was not even directed to you in the first place. Obviously you have extremely poor reading comprehension. This probably ties in with your poor photgraphic knowledge as well, since youare unable to distinguish between a focus issue and an exposure issue.

PhilR.

p.s. Larry - I hope you don't mind that I jump in here....
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 10:06 PM   #16

Phil my post from imaging resource was just to show that the Fugi had one of the best low noise scores of it's class at ISO 400.

Also, As quoted by lenscaplarry regarding his S1:

"I use mine in P,M TV, AV and "C" exclusivly and get good LOW NOISE relults... So, I have to wonder if you gave yourself enough time to learn this camera?? Anyhow, for the record I disagree strongly.

Also, consider f3.1 is not that bad at full tele thats 1 stop difference. hardley a dicision killer if you ask me. Heck, the fuji is worse then that."

As quoted by PhilR:

"Larry did not call you a liar - in fact his post was not even directed to you in the first place. Obviously you have extremely poor reading comprehension. This probably ties in with your poor photgraphic knowledge as well, since youare unable to distinguish between a focus issue and an exposure issue."

I believe that was referring to me, he did mention the Fugi.

Maybe your comprehension skills are not as good as you think!,,,

Yes, I am an amateur when it comes to photography, never claimed to be an expert, or even, good at it.

I was just showing the capabilities of this camera.

regards, Mike

Old Feb 6, 2005, 9:07 AM   #17

Phil, I don't mind at all.
Mike, you're not a liar.

I'm talking about my experience, not yours though...

Lets put it this way, you must consider the most important factor, the user. I was infact not responding to you, but rather the original post "I bought the Canon S1 and was disappointed with how the pictures turned out. Very dark, grainy and soft ." I disagree with this. for all I know her pics were taken at ISO 400 f8 1/3 shutter.

The comment about f3.1 being hardly a factor was in response to Sivaram's post where he said "Panasonic FZ3 will be better than the Canon S1 IS (because it has brighter lens)... so it will help a bit... However, the pics will still likely dissapoint you. Low-light pics are hard on cameras--especially ultra-zooms which usually let it less light at you zoom (except Panasonic FZ3, which keeps its aperature the same)." I actually agree with what he has said here, I just wanted to throw in that infact the fuji's lowest fstop would be higher then both the S1 and Fz3's...

still I guess its my fault for not cuting and pasting to the direct post...

But mike, My whole life is video, its what I went to school for and what I have spent my last 15yrs doing as s hobby. Thats why I know the S1's is better for taking video. Again,Image stabilization and the ability to Zoom while recording are deal makers or breakers for me. I would'nt ever consider a camera without these feature over one with them if my intent was to buy a camera for taking full motion video.

I realize you disagree, that does not make you a liar by any stretch..

Old Feb 6, 2005, 9:58 PM   #18

Just on a point Larry, thisquote isfrom the conclusion of Steve's recent review of the S5100 on this site:

"The lens is very fast; with a wide-open variable aperture range of F2.8 (wide) to F3.1 (tele), it will allow for a higher shutter speed, reducing the likelihood of shots being ruined by camera shake at long focal lengths."

Peace brothers!

Mike
Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:59 PM   #19

Sorry mike, I believe I had another camera in mind. But yes, thats just as fast as the S1's f2.8 - f3.1 lens. only the FZ's are faster then..
Old Feb 8, 2005, 3:16 PM   #20

I really like Canon cameras, but a little dissapointed in the S1, My wish list upgradefrom the Canon S1 is:

1) A better low lightfocus system, and, or, an AF assistlight to help

2) a bigger swivel LCD display, 1.8", or preferably 2.0", or bigger

3) less shutter lag, &faster shot, to shot, speed for better action capture

4) less noise at low light levels

5) More megapixels, this may help with the above notes