Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 7, 2005, 12:10 PM   #11
ecm

ras2a wrote:
Quote:
Brilliant, cheers for that! So in short, the FZ20 is a darn good camera!

I have pretty much made my mind on the Panny, but the Oly 5060 seems like such a sweet, sweet camera!

The one real thing I'm not sure about on the FZ20 is that it only has 8 sec exposure (max)...is this good enough? The 5060 has around 30 seconds though, right?
The C-5060 has a "bulb" modethat's unlimited - as long as you want, it's open.The FZ20, AFAIK, lacks this mode. The C-5060's max shutter in regular shooting is 16 seconds. Although I haven't used the bulb mode, I might in the distant future- we just got a nice 6" telescope....However, with through-the-eyepiece astrophotography,the latest thing is to take a long series of pics with shorter (less than ~1/15s in order to minimize sidereal motion) exposures, and then stack the pics in softwareto get an "averaged" picture of the planet, nebula, or whatever - it actually works very well with brighter objects.Here's a link to some freeware called Registax that does this:

http://registax.astronomy.net/

It's pretty much the only way I'll be able to do it - I have a Dobsonian (Ad/Az type) and you need an equatorial type motorized telescope mount ($$$) to take long exposures of the really faint stuff. I'll probably never use bulb mode; the noise levels increase exponentially with longer exposures anyways.

So, short answer - unless you already need it, you probably won't miss it.....

Good Luck! ECM
ecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 1:41 PM   #12

Ok nice one mate, thanks for your swift responses. Still gonna go with the FZ20....I think - lol

Craig
ras2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 2:48 PM   #13

I still think that Oly's image processing is better than Panasonic's - much better color and WB. Just my opinion.

I had a C750, lacked the IS of the Panasonic Z20 (kudos Panasonic), but I came to realize that38mm equivalent at wide was a serious shortcoming. Impossible to catch broad landscapes, large group photos, or interior shots of more than just one corner of a room. Buying accessory lenses for a prosumer model just didn't (and still doesn't) make sense to me. Firstly, the lenses often lead to diminished image quality. Secondly, by the time you're done, you could have bought an entry-level dSLR body. Just my opinion.

In the end, the C5060 and FZ20 are totally different cameras - wide angle is more functional, but there's no substitute for a long reach. It's a matter of preference. If anyone tells you that one is absolutely better than the other they don't know what they're talking about, and are doing you a disservice.

jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 4:00 PM   #14

Arrggh - hah, just gotta decide what's best for me I guess, as you say!

Oh well I think I'll give it one more week of checking out sample galleries/photos etc!

cheers

Craig
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:46 PM   #15

What if you threw the C-8080 into the mix, then what would you have chosen?

Thanks
Latteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:05 PM   #16

I've but limited experience with the 5060 and FZ20 (got to play with each fora weekend) but believe I've had enough experience w/ photography and digital photography generally to explore the capabilities of each, and cansay that while thefast lens and IS found on the FZ20 are really nice, the 8080 is easily the best of the three.

The FZ20's lens is a stop brighter than the 8080's at full tele (2.8 at 420mm equiv vs. 3.5 at a mere 140mm equiv) but the 8080's is a bit faster at wide (2.4).

While a long telephoto like that found in the FZ20 and other ultra zooms is essential for photographing wildlife, sports, architectural detail, etc., a wide anlge is equally essential to capturing "sweeping" landscapes, large group portraits, wide interior photos, etc. The 8080's 140mm tele might be woefully inadequate compared to the FZ20's 420mm,butthe FZ20's 38mm wide is woefully inadequate compared to the 8080's 28mm. I personally find myself using wide angles more than telephoto angles. But this is a matter of compositional preference and personal taste, so...

Those considerations aside, the 8080's lens is easily the best I've seen on a prosumer, and I've speaking from hadns-on experience with theSony 828 and the Canon Pro1. Super sharp from corner to corner, nominal fall-off, great resolution. I've always preferred Oly's color, the camera is as feature-rich as any prosumer, AF is generally as fast and accurate as any prosumer I've tried, and it's absolutely built like a tank. One significant con: no manual focus or zoom ring. But I really feel that the 8080 is the best thing short of a dSLR - really a superb lens, which is the most important part of any camera. Would I like an 8080 w/ IS - absolutely, but you can't have everything.

jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 4:34 AM   #17

Latteone wrote:
Quote:
What if you threw the C-8080 into the mix, then what would you have chosen?
Can't afford - I think it's about £80-£100 more than I want to fork out! Unless I buy from the states and just have it marked up as 'gift' ?

cheers