Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 3, 2005, 4:27 PM   #1

I narrowed my choice down to the FZ20 or the C-5060, but I can't make my mind up. I know one has 12x zoom and the other has wide angle! But I've read so many things about both cameras that each has features that tempt me. I want the best out of the 2 for image quality and all-round use. Noise also concerns me...does anyone know which scores best and which has the best image quality? Also I see the FZ20 only has slowest shutter speed of 8 secs? Is this enough for good night shots

Can anyone help me make my mind up? - ARRGHH it's weird, I'm never like this when buying other electrical goods - lol.

cheers guys

Craig
ras2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2005, 5:45 PM   #2

They are different cameras for different categories of photogs. It's just not right to compare them directly, like apples and oranges.

The 5060 is a prosumer model with wide angle while the FZ20 is a consumer ultrazoom (I'd say almost prosumer).

There are a few ways of looking at it.

How much value do you put into high zoom power and wide angle? If the size of the FZ20 doesn't bother you, get it and add a wide angle conversion. If some loss of zoom power (less than the FZ20) is fine, the 5060 can also accept telephoto conversion lenses too.

You can also get both and have the best that both offer.

8 secs for night shot is fine, but you are limited to the wider apertures. 5060 has 15 secs and you can close the aperture a bit to get better depth of field.

Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 7:57 PM   #3

thanks for your input thon!
Old Feb 5, 2005, 4:34 AM   #4

ras2a wrote:
Quote:
I narrowed my choice down to the FZ20 or the C-5060, but I can't make my mind up. I know one has 12x zoom and the other has wide angle! But I've read so many things about both cameras that each has features that tempt me. I want the best out of the 2 for image quality and all-round use. Noise also concerns me...does anyone know which scores best and which has the best image quality? Also I see the FZ20 only has slowest shutter speed of 8 secs? Is this enough for good night shots

Can anyone help me make my mind up? - ARRGHH it's weird, I'm never like this when buying other electrical goods - lol.

cheers guys

Craig
My brother has a Oly 5060. Now that he has seen the pics from my FZ20, he is (upgrading). :lol:
888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 6:30 AM   #5

Thanks mate, I wasn't certain. I like the massive amount of manual controls on the FZ20 but figured that x4 optical zoom wouldn't be enough for me further down the line. Also, what's the noise like on the pics?

cheers, craig
Old Feb 5, 2005, 11:51 AM   #6

ras2a wrote:
Quote:
Thanks mate, I wasn't certain. I like the massive amount of manual controls on the FZ20 but figured that x4 optical zoom wouldn't be enough for me further down the line. Also, what's the noise like on the pics?

cheers, craig
There is noise if lighting is poor (i.e. you have to use a higher ISO no.). However, there are plenty of free noise reduction s/w around. I use Noiseware which give very good results. Definitely a better camera for outdoors rather than in. No other camera at £299 allows you to get pics at 1" and also photograph the craters on the moon (handheld at that). DOF is also unmatch by anything at the price due to the zoom and F2.8 aperature.
888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 2:17 PM   #7
ecm

As a C-5060 owner, I'd buy the Pana FZ-20 next time.

Not that the C-5060 is a bad camera at all, it's given me fantastic shots that I would have missed with any other camera. The wide angle lens allows me indoor shots that I'd have missed with anything narrower, and the excellent macro mode is unequaled, IMHO. Landscapes and other static subjects arealmost perfect -I'll say there is no 5 Mpixel prosumer that can match the picture quality in good circumstances.

However, within 2 months of purchase, I found I was missing a couple of things - first and foremost a longer zoom; 110mm equivalent wasn't cutting it for wildlife photos. I checked into tele extenders but abandoned the idea as too expensive, especially since it would degrade the image quality. The low light performance was the other big bother - I wasn't getting good results at all indoors. I've invested in a Promaster flash, and I'm now much more satisfied with the camera in general, but it was an extra $160 I could've used elsewhere.

The FL-20 wasn't available when I bought (it was announced the day after I received my C-5060), but if it had, it would have fit me a bit better. The image quality is not quite as good, but it's still very high; the differences are extremely minor, actually. The low light performance is a bit better with F/2.8throughout thezoom range. The only real beefs I'd have would be the lack of a true "bulb" mode, and the lack of TTL flash control. Yes, that'd be a big one for me, but I've used manual flashes in the past, and I've noted several people are getting good results from thyristor-controlled flashes on dpreview's forum. I tried a thyristor flash on the C-5060 and it didn't work so well, not nearly as well as a TTL flash.

Hope this helps! - ECM

ecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 2:48 PM   #8

That's absolutely brilliant, many thanks indeed for your input guys!

One thing that get's me though is that I read the indoor/low light performance of the C-5060 was great (on imaging resource's site). I guess everyone has different experiences with cameras!

Really appreciated your input

cheers again
Old Feb 6, 2005, 10:44 PM   #9
ecm

ras2a wrote:
Quote:
One thing that get's me though is that I read the indoor/low light performance of the C-5060 was great (on imaging resource's site). I guess everyone has different experiences with cameras!
Yeah, but I think that's good low light performance, compared to other similar prosumer cameras at that time. Compared to my father-in-law's Canon A85the C-5060's quite a bitbetter, but compared to my mother's Canon Digital Rebel it's c--ppy.

I'd also qualify my previous statementsa bit - the C-5060'sbuilt-inflash will light up the subject all right, it's good and bright, but that leads to very harsh shadowing that I found unacceptable.I really doubt the Pana FZ20, or for that matter, ANY prosumer, is going to be much better about this issue, though. It's the nature of the beast - a tiny bright light source, close to the lens, trying desperately to light a huge space - of course there's shadowing. So, I bought an external flash; now I'm happy.

I'd also point out that the C-5060 has a F/2.8 aperture at full wide, just like the Pana FZ20 does; it's just that atfull zoom you're stuck with F/4.5 - 2 full stops darker. So, the indoor shots with the C-5060, as long as you stick with full wide, are just as bright as the FZ20's.

ECM

ecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 9:26 AM   #10

Brilliant, cheers for that! So in short, the FZ20 is a damn good camera!

I have pretty much made my mind on the Panny, but the Oly 5060 seems like such a sweet, sweet camera!

The one real thing I'm not sure about on the FZ20 is that it only has 8 sec exposure (max)...is this good enough? The 5060 has around 30 seconds though, right?

thanks

Craig