Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 3, 2005, 8:07 PM   #1

I am looking for a new digital 6-7 mp camera. I scrapbook so I like to be able to crop (hence the MP). I was looking at the CanonG6, Sony V3, and Olympus 7000. My head is spinning at this point:?I mainly shoot children and dogs (yes, the camera is safer too shoot with). Everyone in ourfamily are almost albinoes and the red eye I get even with my red eye reduction is like something from Stephen King. My dogs are nocturnal sitehounds and they also glow (but in shades of green and blue) I have an SLR Canon and one of the first Cybershots which happens to take a fair picture for it's age and 2MP (that is if you have time to wait three minutes for it to write to the card). I like the idea of a compact camera for conveinece but I like to play. So it all comes down to who has the most effective red eye reduction. I don't like fixing redeye with software because the eyes get a dead look. Thanks:?
doglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2005, 8:14 PM   #2
KSV

There is no camera witch can rid off red eyes *COMPLETELY* - they just reducing this undesirable effect more or less. You can shoot with flush *TOTALLY WITHOUT RED EYES* by pointing flush backward or into ceiling. This method required external powerful TTL (or PTTL) flush with swivel and I do not know if any P&S camera can do it, but ANY DSLR can.

Hope it helps
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:09 PM   #3

A few of the Fugi cameras were good for no red eye, actually I think it depends on how close the flash is to the lens. I have an S5100, and not found red eye to be a problem, especially compared to my old Canon A40.
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:39 PM   #4
KSV

You right - if flush closer to lens then more chances to get red eye. But if flush too far away from lens you will have very unpleasant shadow. Plus it not eliminate red eye completely - from time to time it is still appears, depending where object look at.

And in addition to my previous post. Red eye reduction works by pre-flushing or emitting strong light on object. Afterhalf asecond or so when pupil in eye get smaller camera takes photo. Thus we have two problems - delay is undesirable for any fast moving objects (kids or dogs) and pre-flush not only distracts people, but also make quite a few photos totally immune for red eye phenomena just because object winks :GThis is why I never use such a "feature" anyway :-)
Old Feb 4, 2005, 2:47 AM   #5

have heard a lot about red-eye...why does it happen exactly?

thanks
kaz
kazaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:03 AM   #6

kazaan wrote:
Quote:
have heard a lot about red-eye...why does it happen exactly?

thanks
kaz
Scroll down to the red-eye definition part on this site (definition reproduced below)...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_dictionary.html#r

Quote:

"Red-Eye - An effect caused by an electronic flash reflecting off of the human eye and making it look red. Compact cameras with the flash located close to the lens suffer the worst from this problem. Pro photographers use a bracket to hold an external flash unit above and off to the side of the lens to eliminate red-eye." (source: Steve's Digicams)
Basically, it's flash light bouncing off the retina of the eye. The closee the flash to the lens, the more apparent the problem...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:04 AM   #7

Most of the cameras you listed (maybe all of them?) have flash hot-shoe, where you can attach an external optional flash. If you are really concerned about red-eye, which seems to be the case with family members you have described, it might be worth buying an external flash.

The external flash will minimize red-eye way more than any red-eye reduction lamp or any other in-camera technique...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:39 AM   #8

I can actually answer this question. The red eye comes from light bouncing off the retina in the back of the eye. Just as you see dogs eyes glow in certain lighting ours react the same way. I am a nurse. Also this is why I mentioned albinoes. People with dark eyes have less reflection off the retina. As eyes get lighter (less pigment and decreased pupil function) the redeye gets worse. An albino has no pigment or protection. This is why lighter eye colors also develop the most damage from the sun. That's your trivia for today. But... I am still looking for a camera that does a pretty good job on red eye without a external flash. (I can't afford one right off the bat)I also don't want the extra time to pre light the subject because it will be gone! I know I may be asking for the impossible.
doglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 10:00 PM   #9
KSV

doglady wrote:
Quote:
I know I may be asking for the impossible.
:-) It is always compromises out of here - life is not perfect

Semi-automatic external flush will not cost you an arm and an leg - here (in Oz) it is possible to get new one for something like $50AUS - and they can work pretty well, but you still should be willing for experiments. And you can use it on almost anything as long as those "anything" has flush shoe. Particularly with albinos you will not find camera with internal flush witch give you 100% of "red eye free" photos. Better result will be from camera with flush as far away as possible from lens and (sorry!!!) those one witch does pre-flush. Good luck :-)
Old Feb 6, 2005, 10:32 PM   #10

Not a compact, but the Oly 8080 does a great job re: red eye - even when not using red eye reduction mode (pre-flashes). I just use fill and have yet tosee a single red eye.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote