Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:48 AM   #1

Here's a pic of my A70 attached....
As you can see the lens is messed up. Unfortunately I can't get it repaired under warranty.

If I wanted to modify the camera, i.e. replace the lens and/or sensor, what would be my max size I could use?

I would prefer...
at least a 1/1.8" or 2/3" (or 1" if possible) sensor (maybe 1/2" might be acceptable IF I at least get 1.2 megapixel AND it's fairly clean at ISO 400)
1.2 or 2 megapixels (3 if the images are still as clean as the Toshiba PDR-M81 at ISO 400). at low resolution (1/2 by 1/2 or 1/4 by 1/4) I want it to only use the photosites necessary to capture the image (to reduce the noise by a couple stops if possible, thereby allowing ISO 1600 or even ISO 6400 shooting)
lens: I could probably make do with a 54mm focal length, although as long as 72 or 90 or 108 might be useful, but I don't want it stopping down any more than F/2.8 at telephoto (preferably F/2.0 or 1.4 (or even 1.0)), and I want it opening up to at least F/1.4 at wideangle (wider like F/1.0 or 0.7 or 0.5 if possible). I also don't want it sticking out any farther than the battery compartment. I would be willing to sacrifice the conversion adapter (or thread the end of the lens if possible)
I would be also willing to do away with the flash (and maybe optical viewfinder, or if possible move it) if it means i could get a faster lens and/or larger sensor in it. Although, I WOULD like to put an IR emitter on it, and a manually switchable IR block / IR pass filter. I'd also wnat to make "nightshot" mode available at all shutter speed / aperture / ISO combinations.

I would mostly be shooting in P/A/S/M modes.

What are the physical limitations on the size of a lens and sensor on this camera, seeing that there's no warranty so I can pretty much do anything to it that I want? I basically want a relatively large low-resolution sensor, and a fast standard / semi-tele (or whatever the term to describe between 36 to 108mm (even if it's fixed but I at least want it to open up to 54mm) lens.
Would it be possible to go with an extra-wide-angle lens and a larger higher-resolution sensor (for example 3 or 4 megapixel 4/3 or 6 or 8 megapixel 8/3"?) or is there a physical limit (not counting lens size) on how large of a sensor could be put in this?

For example, would a 2/3" (8.8x6.6mm) 3.2 megapixel (2048x1536) sensor with a 36-72mm (9-18mm) F/0.25-F/0.5 lens be possible?
Attached Images

pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2005, 10:33 PM   #2
KSV

Trow it away :-)

No, honestly are you going to make your very own camera? If you really in such a mood, then I can suggest you (just for practice!!!) disassemble this Canon completelyreassemble it back :G
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 12:35 AM   #3

I second the notion to throw it away.

Digital cameras are highly integrated electronic and optical devices. It is virtually impossible to change any part and have it work properly. Even if you have the mechanical drawing, circuit schematic, firmware source code and compiler, it is still not a single person project.

The best you can do is repair or replace the part of the lens assembly that caused the barrel to be skewed. At least this will return the camera to previous working condition.
msb0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 4:03 AM   #4

Then, what can I do for under $200 that will
allow me to get 1.3 megapixel (2 would be nice) images at ISO 800 or 1600 with very little noise (without noise reduction) and F/1.0 or F/1.4?
Old Feb 7, 2005, 4:01 PM   #5

No such camera exists. Unless you actually build digital cameras for a living I suggest you just throw it away. You can get low-noise pics at ISO 1600+ w/a dSLR. Won't find any f1 lenses, though.There are some good fast macro lensesfor 35mm but will cost you lots.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 6:59 PM   #6

what's a good way to get a fast shutter speed in low light, then, with a small (Sony V1 size or smaller, and not using nightshot mode) inexpensive (Canon A75 price or less) camera?

Here's an attached cropped shot of me taken with my S1 IS.

ISO 400, 1/125" (about the slowest shutter speed I want to use), F/2.8, compensated -2 stops, and the room was fairly well lit compared to some places I'd like to shoot.

Attached Images

Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:06 PM   #7

Simply not possible w/o a flash. You'd need a dSLR with ISO's of 1600+.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote