Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 6, 2005, 4:27 AM   #1
cat

My photography takes usually place indoors- poor light conditions, moving objects etc. And outdoors my favourites are horses, cats, dogs, cars(sometimes quite fast moving objects :-))

So basicly what I would like to ask is-

I`ve read that nikon coolpix 8700 or 8800 doesn´t work very well in poor light conditions and when I add to the poor light conditions moving objects- then I would be in big troble?

What camera should I consider buying when-

I´m dealing with poor light conditions, fast moving objects- like jumbing horses, car races and so on. I´ve always been a Nikon lower but I guess now I have to choose sometihng else then?

I´m also interested that the camera has fast (I don`t know the proper term, I´m sorry) "speed"- that it`s ready for next shot as quickly as possible, otherwise the horse is gone already (I´ve read that for some cameras it`s a big problem)

Thank you (Sorry for my not-so-good english, I hope I expressed myself correctly)

cat
cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2005, 11:47 AM   #2

cat wrote:
Quote:
My photography takes usually place indoors- poor light conditions, moving objects etc. And outdoors my favourites are horses, cats, dogs, cars (sometimes quite fast moving objects :-))
Someone called 'cat' loves taking pictures of cats?

Quote:
So basicly what I would like to ask is-

I`ve read that nikon coolpix 8700 or 8800 doesn´t work very well in poor light conditions and when I add to the poor light conditions moving objects- then I would be in big troble?
Nearly all consumers and prosumers have problems in low light. I think you should narrow down your cameras to a few (you already have Nikon 8700/8800 but come up with a few more competitors) and see which one performs best in low-light/indoors/whatever. If the review says that the Nikon is much worse in low-light, I would consider its competitors. What you may find is that all the cameras you have shortlisted may perform poorly in low-light. If that's the case, then it's a limitation of consumer cameras and the Nikon will be just like any other (and you aren't going to improve much by going to another brand).

Also, if you are shooting low-light pics with flash (which is what I do with my camera for family pics, indoor, etc) then you don't need to worry. Flash will provide enough light, and freeze the action, so you'll be ok. But if you don't plan to use flash, then read carefully to see which one is better in low-light.

Quote:
I´m dealing with poor light conditions, fast moving objects- like jumbing horses, car races and so on. I´ve always been a Nikon lower but I guess now I have to choose sometihng else then?
Outdoors (bright light) pics are usually fine with any decent camera. Most of these cameras will have shutter speeds (1/2000, 1/1000 etc) and you should be ok. So, taking pics of a moving car shouldn't be a problem outdoors (with decent light).... your problem, however, will be when you try taking moving objects in low-light. This is very difficult and very few consumer/prosumer cameras will produce low-noise good pics.

Quote:
I´m also interested that the camera has fast (I don`t know the proper term, I´m sorry) "speed"- that it`s ready for next shot as quickly as possible, otherwise the horse is gone already (I´ve read that for some cameras it`s a big problem)
Some review sites time these things so you can check them out... dpreview.com, for example, times this so check it out... Here is the timing for the 8800

The Nikon 8800 has image stabilization so I would pick that over the 8700.... you should compare it to other high-end prosumers like Olympus 8080 and so on.

Also, since the 8800 is a high-end prosumer, you should compare it against low-end DSLRs. The cost will be somewhat similar (low-end DSLR with matching lens will probably cost a little bit more) but the DSLR will offer FAR BETTER(!!!) low-light performance. If you really need good low-light performance, you should look at a low-end DSLR...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 12:09 PM   #3

Hi cat,

The Nikons you mention will only go up to 400 ISO. That will not be enough for what you want to do. You will need a camera that will allow you to increase ISO enough to get the high shutter speeds needed to capture fast-moving objects in low light, especially so if you are using a long zoom lens.

Your photographic situation is beyond the average. You are going to need a digital slr. Take a look at the reviews for the Canon, Nikon, Minolta, and Olympus DSLR's (Fuji might have one too).

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote