Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:50 AM   #1

Hi,

Looking for camera for 10% in and 90% outdoor photography. Most usage will be nature along trips and birds.

I like the Nikon 8800 for its zoom, body quality, batteries, along with picture quality.

I could afford its price but is there another camera I could get for a better price ?

What about Fuji S20Pro, or Panasonic Z20 or other ??

I am not a pro, just using the camera for trips souvenirs... about 100-200 pics a day on trips.

Thanks for any help

Guy
coutancineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2005, 12:35 PM   #2

An ultra-zoom like the Panasonic FZ20 is probably good enough...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 3:45 PM   #3

Hi,

Thanks. Your answer helps but still confused

In Canada, price for Panasonic Z20 is 1000$ and for Nikon 8800 is 1100$

Nikon has the remote which I could use for long zoom stability ?

Panasonic has all manual mode...

Now the Fuji S20Pro is 950$... with smaller zoom. I dont know about quality.

I guess I will wait a little and get te Z20.

Guy

coutancineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 4:57 PM   #4

Be aware that you'll get a lot of replies herefrom users that have certain brand loyalties.

jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 5:10 PM   #5

If the prices are similar, I would go with the Nikon 8800. The Nikon is a high-end prosumer with 2/3" sensor, 1/3000 shutter speed, 1.8" flip-out LCD, etc. The NIkon should be far better than any of the others...

Having said that, if you are going into high-end prosumer area, you may also want to check out the low-end DSLRs. The DSLR will cost more if you want to replicate the high-end prosumer (eg. 10x zoom, image stabilization, etc) but it is worth considering.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 6:40 PM   #6

yeah, you can get a D70 (body only) for under $1000US, but even one good high-quality lens (e.g. a bright wide zoom) will cost another $500-$750US. Kind of defeats the pupose to buy a dSLR and then use mediocre optics. A good prosumer will probably deliver satisfying results, at $800-900US total. Depends on how much you're willing to spend and learn.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 6:40 PM   #7

I wonder if Panasonic has its own 8MP prosumer waiting in the wings???
Old Feb 7, 2005, 7:28 PM   #8

jkusmier wrote:
Quote:
yeah, you can get a D70 (body only) for under $1000US, but even one good high-quality lens (e.g. a bright wide zoom) will cost another $500-$750US. Kind of defeats the pupose to buy a dSLR and then use mediocre optics. A good prosumer will probably deliver satisfying results, at $800-900US total. Depends on how much you're willing to spend and learn.
Nikon D70 isn't really a low-end DSLR. That wouldn't be cost competitive with a high-end prosumer. By low-end DSLR, I'm talking about cameras like the Canon 300D (Digital Rebel). A Digital Rebel will just a little bit more than a high-end prosumer, while offering 10x better low-light performance...
Old Feb 8, 2005, 12:38 PM   #9

It's marketed and proceed to compete with the Digital Rebel. It's Nikon's entry-level dSLR, despite the fact that it's a vastly better camera. I wouldn't waste my money on a Rebel (unless I had a bunch of Canon glass). Spend the extra $100-150 and get a D70.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 2:40 PM   #10

jkusmier wrote:
Quote:
It's marketed and proceed to compete with the Digital Rebel. It's Nikon's entry-level dSLR, despite the fact that it's a vastly better camera. I wouldn't waste my money on a Rebel (unless I had a bunch of Canon glass). Spend the extra $100-150 and get a D70.
I'm not really sure if the D70 competes against the 300D; I'm guessing that it competes aginst the 10D or maybe even the 20D. The prices are quite far apart (around 25% or around US$200). The D70 is way beyond the cost of a high-end prosumer. I'm not really sure if anyone contemplating a high-end prosumer can afford a D70, whereas they can certainly afford a 300D...