Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 8, 2005, 7:59 PM   #1
RG

Any one have opinions on either?

I am leaning towrds the G6 but still not 100% on it.

Read many reviews on both.
RG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2005, 2:03 PM   #2

I have the V3 and I like it a lot but, really, you won't go wrong with either camera as far as image quality goes. Each has different features that makeone better for some situations than the other.

Do you have a particular use in mind?
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 3:01 PM   #3
RG

Mostly for landscapes and architecture, some portraits but very few.
RG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 3:14 PM   #4

I'd go with the G6 myself.
shoot123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 3:53 PM   #5

For interior shots, people find that the V3 focuses faster and that has been an issue for some people. However, buildings don't jump around as much as kids (except in an earthquake) and you should probably flip a coin.

The V3 leads in performance...shutter lag, Night framing (which allows you to compose a shot when there isn't enough light, I use this one a lot even when I am shooting with flash), NightShot (which shoot in IR without special attachments and in total darkness) etc but the G6 has some unique features too for landscape photographers such as in-camera stitching for panoramas.

Make sure that you have a chance to pick each camera up and see how they 'feel' in your hands. That might make the decision clear and, whatever you decide...have fun!

Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:45 PM   #6

G6 has brightler lens and better ISO performance... so I would probably leans towards the G6... but it'll all come down to minor preferences...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:51 PM   #7
Super Moderator

actually, the V3 has low noise to 400 and only moderate to low at 800.. where as the G6 has significant noise at 400.. but the G6 seems to have better color accuracy and contrast... so the bottom line, try them both and whichever feels best to you, you can't go wrong...

enjoy, Dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:07 PM   #8

It turns out that due to a bit of fudging by both camera companies...the ISO800 on the Sony V3 and the ISO400 on the G6 are both closer to a REAL sensitivity of ISO640.

So the noise at the highest end for BOTH cameras is really at the same ISO level even though the marketing departments put different numbers on the menus. So the G6 doesn't REALLY go down to ISO50...and the V3 doesn't REALLY go up to ISO800...both of them have the same ISO range...100-640!

I think this kind of playing with 'relative' values goes on a lot. Who is to say that the G6 lens is REALLY F2 since its lowest ISO isn't REALLY ISO50 and the shutter speed you will get (under the same lighting conditions) for F2 at ISO50 would be IDENTICAL to the shutter speed that a camera would give with an F2.8 lens at ISO100.

Who can tell for sure? A lot of times the manufacturers are just playing with us and making up values in order to separate us from our money! :evil:
Old Feb 10, 2005, 4:11 PM   #9
Super Moderator

wow. that is very interesting information... more disconcerting than interesting really...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 4:40 PM   #10

Well, when was the last time you bought a 260Gb drive and actually had a full 260Gb to play with? How about digital camera sensors...8Mp CCD...7.3Mp 'effective' resolution:?

About the relative ISO discovery: You can see the page on Phil Askey's site:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscv3/page12.asp

It is, you are right, unnerving.