Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:18 PM   #1

I am looking to buy my first DSLR (I currently use s DiMAGE 7Hi) and I am torn between the KM 7D and the Canon 20D. I know that most of you will probably say the 20D, but the 7D has some great features. . .that are really really tempting.
First and foremost are the lenses.
From what I have seen the Canon compatible lenses are cheaper, and more numerous. Basicly I would want a good macro lens, super telephoto lens (400mm+)a wide angle lens, and then just a 50mm to 150mm lens for everyday shooting. Also, what are the advantages to Canon's EF-S lenses?
Second, Anti Shake.
This is probably what has me interested (like all of you) in the 7D. Anti Shake is then "built in" to every lens, and you don't have to spend $1,000 bucks on a lens. Definite plus for the 7D.
Third is image quality, and ISO levels.
I relize that both of these cameras do well with noise at high ISO levels (ISO 800+)and since I would be doing a fair bit of shooting in lower light levels, or with slower lenses (I am not going to be buying any 300mm f 2.8 lenses!). . . this is great. From what I have seen the 20D is great with low noise levels at high ISOs and the 7D is pretty good. One plus for the 20D.
image quality is an issue. . .but not (to me) really as much as the others, as 6MP is really all that I need for what I would be doing (never make any prints over 8x10, really) 8MP would be nice. . .but it eats up your memory card and hard drive all the faster :lol:.
Fourth is price.
This isn't that big of an issue, as both cameras are fairly similar in price, but the cost of a set of lenses could definitely be the deciding factor.
Any help on this decision would be GREAT:!:
Max

P.S. Can anyone give me any first hand feedback on either of these cameras, and maybe post some pics taken with them?
Thanks!
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2005, 5:26 PM   #2

KM_krazy wrote:
Quote:
I am looking to buy my first DSLR (I currently use s DiMAGE 7Hi) and I am torn between the KM 7D and the Canon 20D. I know that most of you will probably say the 20D, but the 7D has some great features. . .that are really really tempting.
First and foremost are the lenses.
From what I have seen the Canon compatible lenses are cheaper, and more numerous. Basicly I would want a good macro lens, super telephoto lens (400mm+)a wide angle lens, and then just a 50mm to 150mm lens for everyday shooting. Also, what are the advantages to Canon's EF-S lenses?
Second, Anti Shake.
This is probably what has me interested (like all of you) in the 7D. Anti Shake is then "built in" to every lens, and you don't have to spend $1,000 bucks on a lens. Definite plus for the 7D.
Third is image quality, and ISO levels.
I relize that both of these cameras do well with noise at high ISO levels (ISO 800+)and since I would be doing a fair bit of shooting in lower light levels, or with slower lenses (I am not going to be buying any 300mm f 2.8 lenses!). . . this is great. From what I have seen the 20D is great with low noise levels at high ISOs and the 7D is pretty good. One plus for the 20D.
image quality is an issue. . .but not (to me) really as much as the others, as 6MP is really all that I need for what I would be doing (never make any prints over 8x10, really) 8MP would be nice. . .but it eats up your memory card and hard drive all the faster :lol:.
Fourth is price.
This isn't that big of an issue, as both cameras are fairly similar in price, but the cost of a set of lenses could definitely be the deciding factor.
Any help on this decision would be GREAT:!:
Max

P.S. Can anyone give me any first hand feedback on either of these cameras, and maybe post some pics taken with them?
Thanks!
can anyone post any high ISO pics (ISO 800 -3200) that I can see?
Or any other first hand comments.
Thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2005, 6:40 PM   #3

Best thing to do is to read all the reviews..but you probably already did that

Did you check out Steve's sample pics:

7D
20D

Here are some ISO pics from dcresource.com (scroll near the middle-bottom for ISO part):

7D
vs
20D

If you are interested in some details on ISO, check out the dpreview.com review. In particular, check out the following page, if you haven't done so already:

7D ISO performance vs others

Also, you might want to read how good--or bad--the image stabilization is in the 7D. Since you are literally buying the camera for this feature, it's worth knowing what it does. If you haven't read the review at dpreview.com, check out the following:

unscientific 7D image stabilization test

Based on the link above, it seems that the image stabilization in the 7D (CCD sensor stabilization) is not as good as optical image stabilization. It also seems to be less consistent. However, when it works, it works well. I think you have to think hard about whether the image stabilization is worth it...

I'm just a newbie and I don't know anything about DSLRs but the 20D looks like a better camera based on specs (faster continuous mode, higher res, faster max shutter speed, etc; here is a side by side comparison). But the 7D has image stabilization, which is valuable if you don't use a tripod, and it also has 2.5" LCD, which must be nice if you like using LCD (I'm not sure how useful this is though; it seems that DSLR users tend to use the viewfinder more than the LCD so who knows)...

It's really hard to say but if I had to pick one out of these two, I would go with the Canon 20D. The 7D seems too expensive for what it offers, compared to the similarly priced 20D. BUT the 7D is a good camera and I don't think you can go wrong with it if you like it...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 1:17 AM   #4

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
Best thing to do is to read all the reviews..but you probably already did that

Did you check out Steve's sample pics:

7D
20D

Here are some ISO pics from dcresource.com (scroll near the middle-bottom for ISO part):

7D
vs
20D

If you are interested in some details on ISO, check out the dpreview.com review. In particular, check out the following page, if you haven't done so already:

7D ISO performance vs others

Also, you might want to read how good--or bad--the image stabilization is in the 7D. Since you are literally buying the camera for this feature, it's worth knowing what it does. If you haven't read the review at dpreview.com, check out the following:

unscientific 7D image stabilization test

Based on the link above, it seems that the image stabilization in the 7D (CCD sensor stabilization) is not as good as optical image stabilization. It also seems to be less consistent. However, when it works, it works well. I think you have to think hard about whether the image stabilization is worth it...

I'm just a newbie and I don't know anything about DSLRs but the 20D looks like a better camera based on specs (faster continuous mode, higher res, faster max shutter speed, etc; here is a side by side comparison). But the 7D has image stabilization, which is valuable if you don't use a tripod, and it also has 2.5" LCD, which must be nice if you like using LCD (I'm not sure how useful this is though; it seems that DSLR users tend to use the viewfinder more than the LCD so who knows)...

It's really hard to say but if I had to pick one out of these two, I would go with the Canon 20D. The 7D seems too expensive for what it offers, compared to the similarly priced 20D. BUT the 7D is a good camera and I don't think you can go wrong with it if you like it...
*sigh*

Thanks for the info there.
I really can't decide. . .the both look so good :lol:
As far as ISO, Battery life, and speed, the 20D looks like it has it. However the 7D is great in ease of use (I love dials and such on my cameras) Anti-Shake, and the great LCD and viewfinder.
Also, I was wondering on the AF speeds. According to Pop Photo, the 7D has great AF speeds, beating the 20D hands down (.34-.37 for the 7D vs. .49-.55 for the 20D @ EV-12to7) and it also focuses down to EV -1.
I think I will wait to get either camera untill next fall, as prices will have fallen. . .and I need to get a little extra chash.
I would kinda like to stick to Minolta, as I have about a little bit of misc. Minolta gear sitting around (a couple Maxxum lenses, a flash, remote realease, etc.)
I also don't just want to "follow the follower" and get the 20D (as it seems that everyone and their dog has it already).
Oh well.
Any feedback from 20D or 7D users would be great (on ease of use and such)
Thanks!
Max