Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:24 AM   #1

Hi , I want buy a new digital camera buti need your help , my old digital camera SONY DSC-P51 don't work so , I don't knowif buy sony again or canon , I like thesony W1because I have the accesories from my old sony( 4 Rechargeable AA Batteries , memory stick , Battery Charger etc etc etc...... ,) also like W1 for the big display 2.5" and conversion lens , but really I need your opinion

P.D sorry for my english
boss9967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2005, 8:37 AM   #2

I don't have a digital camera, but I too have been researching the Sony DSC-W1. I have taken pictures with this camera at Circuit City and at Best Buy and both times I was NOT impressed. At Circuit City a girl printed a picture that I had taken from the Sony DSC-w1 and it just didn't look that good. The picture was taken with the automatic flash and the printed picture looked washed out. I have read many reviews of people that love this camera and many reviews from people that say it takes "soft" or "slightly blurry" pictures indoors. I'm just not impressed enough to buy this camera until someone shows me a printed picture that can match my Cannon Rebel G SLR.

Any help out there???
jepjep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:12 AM   #3

JepJep ! I do have the W1 and it is an awesome machine ! MAybe you did not set the camera correctly when taking the picture at the store? Dont forget that there were a lot of people playing with the camera before you and a lot of times the setting is all wrong.... If you read the manula you will be wery happy with the W1 - fast, good color rendition, LARGE LCD, 2.5" , ability to attach external lenses and flash - the Canon s500 is not even a comarison to the W1 , even thou it is not a bad camera, but hte W1 is way better !!!

Get it and you would not be sorry.. Just leran to hold it steady and you will love it !
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:37 PM   #4

jepjep wrote:
Quote:
I'm just not impressed enough to buy this camera until someone shows me a printed picture that can match my Cannon Rebel G SLR.

Any help out there???
You aren't goign to find too many consumer cameras that can match an SLR camera. Under ideal conditions, you can match; but under random conditions you probably can't. You also probably have to go with a larger camera (not ultra-compact or compact) to match the quality (eg. Canon G6 may match your SLR most of the time).
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 10:29 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply SalBolzano.

I just went to a Camera speciality shop today and they too said that the DSC-W1 was a good camera. In fact. he talked me out of the Canon A95 because he said that it is just too slow of a camera. He really liked the Nikon Coolpics 4200/5200 because of the speed of the camera and the crisp clear pictures it takes. He also said that the Sony DSC-W! was very fast and usually takes great pictures. We then started even talking about a Minolta Dimage Z3 with a 12X zoom and image stabilization. That camera really looked great, and since I come from the Rebel G SLR, the size of the Minolta doesn't bother me a bit. So, I think my decision is down to the Nikon Coolpics, the Sony DSC-W1, or the Minolta Dimage Z3.

Thanks for the help again.
jepjep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 12:52 AM   #6

Hi everybody , Ibought the SONY DSC W1 today and is really amazing , takes fast and great pictures the LCD 2.5"is very big , The CANON S500 looked great in the store andshots good pictures but the LCD is 1.5" .
boss9967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:46 AM   #7

boss9967 wrote:
Quote:
Hi everybody , I bought the SONY DSC W1 today and is really amazing , takes fast and great pictures the LCD 2.5" is very big , The CANON S500 looked great in the store and shots good pictures but the LCD is 1.5" .
yeah... a huge flaw with the S500 is its small LCD.... for ultra-compacts, LCD size is a huge factor (since viewfinder is next to impossible to use) so the S500 is not very attractive IMO...
Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:53 AM   #8

jepjep wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply SalBolzano.

I just went to a Camera speciality shop today and they too said that the DSC-W1 was a good camera. In fact. he talked me out of the Canon A95 because he said that it is just too slow of a camera. He really liked the Nikon Coolpics 4200/5200 because of the speed of the camera and the crisp clear pictures it takes. He also said that the Sony DSC-W! was very fast and usually takes great pictures. We then started even talking about a Minolta Dimage Z3 with a 12X zoom and image stabilization. That camera really looked great, and since I come from the Rebel G SLR, the size of the Minolta doesn't bother me a bit. So, I think my decision is down to the Nikon Coolpics, the Sony DSC-W1, or the Minolta Dimage Z3.

Thanks for the help again.
If you don't care about size, you should look at the low to mid-end prosumers (and if money isn't an issue, then perhaps the high-end prosumers too). The prosumers are FAR better than the ultra-compacts and compacts. They generally have more manual options and better lens/noise performance.

Examples of low to mid-end prosumers include... Panasonic FZ3 or FZ20 (ultra-zooms)... Canon G6 or Sony V3 (low zooms)...

Something like the Panasonic FZ3 (or FZ20) is better than the Konica Minolta Z3 if you don't care about video.

New models (2005) are being announced so you may want to wait a bit if you can (for example, Panasonic announced FZ4 and FZ5, which replace the FZ3; Konica Minolta announced Z5, which replaces Z3; etc)...
Old Feb 13, 2005, 2:50 PM   #9

Wait for the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ1 .. its cheaper and better
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote