Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 11, 2005, 10:08 AM   #1

Our family of 5 has decided to start "workamping" around the US. We are currently in California.

My 16yo daughter likes to "borrow" my camera to take mostly people pics and close-up nature pics. She took some pictures of people on a beach trip recently and came up with the idea to take portrait type pics of people on the beach, their kids, dogs, etc and sell them 'on the spot' as she walks along the beach, or wherever.

Her father says he'll buy her a camera but he is 1/2 as clueless as I am on what camera to buy.

As we will be outdoors most of the time for the pictures and with conditions such as sand, rain, heat and cold I have no clue what is available for these conditions or anything about special accessories.

I would like her to get a camera/printer bundle I think. I would also like it to be lightweight. Ink cost for the printer is also important as we will need to figure cost of ink into picture prices.

I need this to be as inexpensive as possible and very portable!!!

We are VERY new to digital photography so Please feel free to "dumb down" your explainations.

tia

bam66
bam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:25 PM   #2

Someone else on another site asked me to give a few more details.. I did and thought maybe I should here too..

You say that her intent is to sell them on the spot. Does she intend to print them on the spot and give the photo right then and there?

Exactly!! Walking along the beach with her camera and printer she spots a family with a small child, asks if she can take a pic, takes a pic, and offers to family, prints and slaps on a sticker with (or has programed in to print on pic)her name and email address.

While I commend your daughter on coming up with an enterprising idea, it sounds like a big time investment and not necessarily a big financial return, at least not enough to cover the equipment, software, printer, etc.

Not looking for a huge financial return yet.. This is just getting her started and I am THRILLED that, being a teen this is one of her interests so I want to further it!!

When traveling last she used my Nikon Coolpix 4500 (that I got an EXCELLENT deal for thanks to FW about 2 years ago). We mainly use the Auto feature on closeup or distance and there is one other option we use a lot and that is a section to pick from night pics, snow/beach pics, portraits, double exposure, etc. We also adjust for light but that is about all the adjusting we do at the moment. Need to read the owner's manual a LOT more. But those are the only options we really use on my camera at the moment.

I have 2 extra batteries for my own camera now. I also have a charger for the car/or electrical outlet to recharge them. MY camera uses CF memory cards. So we are set up with my camera they way I want her to be set up with her camera. (except I don't have a portable printer)

In printers I'm looking for, I guess, one that prints 4"x6" I guess. Probably not a lot out there that prints bigger and is portable at the same time??

tia

bam66
bam66 is offline   Reply With Quote