Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 12, 2005, 1:16 AM   #1

i am not at all interested in video. any1 got any good info on a 3pixels or more that is very compact & does not make movies, but really terrific pixs?(':?:',
judypudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2005, 2:28 AM   #2
ecm

A bit too general a question.... how much do you want to spend? And how big really - pocketable, ultracompact spycam, or just not SLR sized? What kind of pics - no camera does everything well..... do you need wide angle ortelephoto; indoors, outdoors, both; low light, daylight, spelunking? Do you want a point-n-shoot that does all the thinking for you, ora prosumer with good manual controls?

All of the consumer and prosumer digital cameras these days can make videos, just not very good ones. It's a marketing ploy; nobody I know actually uses the video mode on their digital camera for anything other than dire emergencies. It's safe to ignore the movie mode entirely when selecting a camera.

Check out http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html, and also go to http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.aspand plug in a few things you need; find out what cameras might fit your needs.

Good Luck! ECM

ecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 11:44 PM   #3

thanks for your response..i have a canon s1, but i want an very small item to tuck in a pocket/purse. closeups more than distance shots.. for shots of grandchildren that need something very handy to snap & not miss.
like quick response time & choices, but probably go all automatic normally. looking for something wth large lcd screen.
like the new sony, but had a mavica & do not like the memory stix thing.
still want some info..(':?:',
judypudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 1:54 AM   #4
ecm

Well, the Canon S60 and S70 have a wide-angle lens (28mm) as does the Fuji E510 - you should check out those. The Canon uses CF cards, I believe; Fuji uses xD, unfortunately.

Good Luck! ECM
ecm is offline   Reply With Quote