Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 12, 2005, 9:38 AM   #1
mon

:|whitch is the better one... macro is better on s7000 but the a200 has the tilt veiwfinder i am stuck between them...
mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2005, 9:55 AM   #2

I have never touched an A200. It has gotten good reviews. It has a stabilizer. It has a slightly more powerful zoom. The cheapest price I have seen online is about $600.

I did have an S7000 until it was stolen 2 days ago. Shot about 6000 pics in 16 months. I liked the fact that you could use rechargeable AA's, that it took both CF and xD memory cards. The build quality was good. The picture quality was fine for me. It had an ISO setting of 800 though only at 3 megapixels.I really like the color in the pictures. Some people really didn't like the noise they detected in pictures. You have a fine compression setting only at 12 Megapixels, not at 6. I think you can get a new S7000 online for just over $450 including shipping.

Does the $150 difference make a difference to you? If not, maybe the A200 is a better camera for you.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:06 AM   #3
mon

whitch camra will you get next then also how did your cam get nicked ( the low lifes)
Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:53 AM   #4

Don't know what my next one will be. I am now in Taiwan. Prices here for cameras are higher than in the US. I was thinking about Panasonic FZ20 or the A200 or even the new (and smaller than FZ20) F5. The S7000, I thought, had really good picture quality for ISO 400, maybe better than the cameras I just mentioned.

I think they (the low lifes) got my camera on a packed subway. When I got off, my camera was not with me. I should have waited for a less crowded train. Darn!

Whatever you get, I am sure you will enjoy it.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 4:25 PM   #5
mon

whould you get a s7000 again instead of the panasonic or a200 or whould this be a upgarde?
Old Feb 12, 2005, 6:50 PM   #6

Actually, I am considering doing something different. I think Fuji will have a replacement for the S7000 within 6 months. In the meantime, I was thinking of getting either the E550 or the S5100. The E550 is not a super zoom (just 4X optical zoom), but it is very fast and I think its picture quality is better than the S7000's (look at the sample pics on Steve's reviews of the E550 and S7000. The S5100 has a 10X optical zoom, although just 4 megapixels. Both of them can be gotten for less than $300 US online. When the new and improved successor to the s7000 comes out and is $500 or less, I could sell either of the other cameras and get it.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 8:08 PM   #7
mon

so the 7000 is out is the a200 old tech then that e550 looks good sounds like a compact s7000
Old Feb 13, 2005, 2:14 AM   #8

I bought the s-7000 about Christmas time, and it was going to replace my sony s-85 4 mp which still works very good yet. I just wanted to upgrade. I was very disappointed with the 7000. I just have my sony to compare it to but battary life on the 7000 is poor compared to the sony. AA's are nice but I prefured to just plug the charger in to the camera without removing the battarys. One thing I really like about the sony that I can't do with the 7000 is if I'm in macro, and the subject isdark or light in the lcd screan, I can adjust the apature and shutter speedand actually view what the final picture will look like with out taking several pictures to get it right. You can adjust the picture completely dark or all washed outand view as you adjust the knobs. The 7000 won't let you do that. I also didn't like the way it focused in manual. I could take to identical pictures as the same time with each camera and the sony had more detail, and the colors were more natural. These 2 pictures were taken on auto, maybe adjusting or switching modes will help. I wentto a new sony v-3. I understand its not perfect either but I'll learn tomake due. Maybe the 7000 will do you just fine. But if youthink your getting a 6 to 12 MP camera, be warned its not. Maybe i'm stepping on someones toes but I'm just tilling howI sawit. You may want to check out www.digitalcamerabasics.com.
tewitt1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 7:11 AM   #9

I don't take issue with tewitt 1949's comments. I never printed anything bigger than 8 X 10, and I was happy with the results. You will probably get better pics from the a200. I think you may even get better picks from a sub $300 E550, which is why I am considering it. Go to Steve's sample pics for the cameras you are interested in and check out the results. I think the E550's 6 meg pictures of the school are better than the S7000's. In fact, I think they are better than some of the 7 and 8 megapixel cameras'. Somehow, Fuji improved the output from that 4th generation super CCD sensor.

However, the last few sentences of the webpage that tewitt referred to admitted that for $450, the S7000 was a good deal. Phil Askey of www.dpreview.com concluded the same thing almost.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 9:41 AM   #10

I was all set to buy the S7000 when I discovered that it's manufacturehas been discontinued (after a short lifespan) and also that the good price offers did not include the manufacturers worldwide guarantee.

I have now purchased the A200 although I have not had time to photo anything except my cat.

The spec of the A200 is superior. It provides 8megapix, anti-shake, and a swivval LCD as well as other program options not available on the S7000. The S7000 has a fast shutter speed of 1/10000 which is exceptional but I was willing to forgo that particular option. A big advantage of the S7000 is that it takes standard batteries rather than a special rechargeable unit. I'll be missing out on that too.

It appears that the A200 has focus issues but forum reports are varied. On the whole the A200 is a superior piece of equipment and more expensive.

The A200 takes 49mm filters without the need for any adaptor. I believer that the S7000 requires an adaptor...that could be very annoying.

Another issue might be the cost of accessories but I have not compared.

Although the S7000 is obsolete (and this was a big discouragement for me) I believe that there is a new and better FujiPixmodel on the shelves.

bacs57 is offline   Reply With Quote