Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 12, 2005, 2:31 PM   #1

Hi - Newbie here :-)

For my first digital, I'm needing something for sports pics (cricket especially).

I have never used digital and have little knowledge.

Price is important - I cannot go for higher spec models.

I want to publish shots onto a club website. Not looking for professional finish, but wanting enough detail for members to recognise players in photos.

Anyone with any knowledge/advice on my 3 selections:-

Kyocera Finecam M410R

Konica Minolta Dimage Z3

Panasonic Lumix FZ3

Cheers, Steve
cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2005, 3:01 PM   #2

Taking action pics, especially in low-light, is tough. But I'm guessing that your games will be in bright light so it shouldn't be that bad. Anyway...

Posting pics on the web doesn't require high resolution so you'll be ok with any modern camera. Resolution only starts to play a role when you want to print large pics (eg. if you want to print poster size pics, then you need high resolution). The ones you listed are 3 megapixels and that's good enough for average 8"x10" prints.

The Panasonic FZ3 is the best of those IMO. It has a brighter lens (F2.8 throughout zoom), image stabilization, and above average picture quality. The main downside to it is its inferior video (no 640x480). If you don't care about video then the FZ3 is best... If you want larger LCD, flash hot-shoe (allows you to add external flash), more megapixels (5MP), etc then you may want to get the higher end Panasonic FZ20 (but 3 MP should be ok for your purposes; I bought a 3MP ultra-zoom).

(On a side note, Panasonic announced some newer models (FZ4 and FZ5 if I remember) so you may want to wait a bit if you can)
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 3:13 PM   #3

Hi Steve,

You posted here then, another Steve from Notts, yep I used to live there too!!!

There is another Steve from Notts on the Kyocera thread.

You mention on the DCmag forum you will go to Jessops to play with the cameras in your shortlist, they don't stock the Kyocera I went to a Kyocera stockist in Lincoln that had one in.

I think Jacobs may stock it but not sure, at least these 2 shops are oppposite each other in Nottingham!

Ian
IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 3:34 PM   #4

Hi Sivaram,

Thanks for your reply, Some useful info for me there.

The FZ3 does get good reviews, other then the casing which I can live with.

Ian - you found me again! I will try Jacobs as well, Thanks for the reminder. :-)
cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:09 AM   #5

Hi Steve,

Have been looking at the specs there is not much in it, What I would try and do is take photos with all of the cameras in your shortlist but using 400ISO or 800 ISO I've tried and yes there is a lot of noise but the shot could still be used.

I think this would be a good way of choosing which one to go for, it should show you which performs best, when you have low light, you will need slower shutter speed this may be too slow to freeze the action, so you could compensate with higher ISO but this gives higher noise so the above test could be useful.

There is some action shots on the Kyocera thread if you take a look.

Cheers Ian
IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 3:19 PM   #6
TC3

hi guys

I also have an M410R....jacobs do stock the camera by the way.....anyhow do as Ian suggests and take a look at the kyocera forum...new pics have been posted today which may help you make up your mind.....to me the Kyocera is a very good camera that can give very good results in a variety of situations

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote