Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 14, 2005, 4:11 AM   #1

i plan to buy a new camera since since my A70 spoilt recently. i've choices of camera which is S1, FZ20, & S7000. anyone who use any type these three camera, can give some comment ( pro & cons) about the camera............ or any good camera to suggest.

thanx...................

ph_5599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2005, 5:46 PM   #2

Panasonic Lumix line (eg. FZ3, FZ20, etc) is best if you don't care about video... they have brighter lens (F2.8 throughout zoom) and good image stabilization... if you care about video, then Canon S1 IS or another may be better...

New models are being announced so you may want to wait a bit...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 6:42 PM   #3

I also can recommend the Panasonic FZ20. Just got it a week ago, and I am very happy with it. I upgraded from the Canon Powershot G5 which is a great camera, too, but I wanted the zoom. Also, the Panasonic has a much better autofocus in low light.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 12:24 AM   #4

But some complaint that FZ20 is low light focusing can be difficult and there is a bit of noise at higher ISOs.

Then some said:

The assist lamp is in a unconfortable position because sometimes it is covered by a finger.

The manual exposure can't go over 8 sec

When set P: it's always setted for at least 1/4 and f2.8--> so if you want to take picture during night you must use it with manual exposure time

I don't reallyu think the lens are so fast in tele: first beacuse it takes a while to focus and then because the time exposure get very long (not proportionally as f2.8 is setted)

Sometimes you need to focus two times

i love S1 IS because it used CF card with 4AA batteries where is cheap and easier to get

Old Feb 15, 2005, 2:10 PM   #5

ph_5599 wrote:
Quote:
But some complaint that FZ20 is low light focusing can be difficult and there is a bit of noise at higher ISOs.
I don't know about the low-light focusing issue. I am guessing it is similar to other ultra-zooms since I haven't heard much about it...

However, the FZ20 DOES have more noise than lower megapixel ultra-zooms and other low-zoom cameras (low-zooms usually have bigger sensor than ultra-zooms). FZ20 packs 5 megapixels into the same size sensor as FZ3 so some claim it has more noise.

Quote:
The assist lamp is in a unconfortable position because sometimes it is covered by a finger.

These are minor issues. If it's important to you (eg. if you really plan to shoot 15 second exposures) then you should consider alternatives; otherwise, this is a good one...

Quote:
When set P: it's always setted for at least 1/4 and f2.8--> so if you want to take picture during night you must use it with manual exposure time
not sure about that...

Quote:
I don't reallyu think the lens are so fast in tele: first beacuse it takes a while to focus and then because the time exposure get very long (not proportionally as f2.8 is setted)
Sometiems when people say 'fast lens', they are not referring to how fast the pic is taken; instead, it refers to how much light is allowed. A lower aperature ratio (eg. F2.8) lets in more light than higher one (eg. F3.1). The Panasonic can keep its aperature at F2.8 throughout zoom so its lens is faster/brighter--and better.

Quote:
i love S1 IS because it used CF card with 4AA batteries where is cheap and easier to get
I have the S1 IS and I like it... but if you ignore its video (which *I* care about but most don't), then the FZ3 or FZ20 are better...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 2:42 PM   #6

ph_5599 wrote:
Quote:

Then some said:

Sometimes you need to focus two times

AA batteries won't be cheap when you are replacing them every hour. Consider the long term cost of the power supply..

Here's my answer to the low light auto focusing issue...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...l/P1010283.jpg

(250K)
You can see a few more here..

http://photobucket.com/albums/v285/jjmel/

You are going to find things that people hate about every camera. If noise in the higher ISO bothers you, don't use it. There are ways around most situations.

Good luck,
Jeff

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 7:08 PM   #7

thanx for the opinion but i think i'll wait until PMA and hopefully there will be a miracle where canon will release "S2"...........
Old Feb 17, 2005, 5:28 PM   #8

Your choices and quandary are similar to mine. I've decided to wait for tests on the KM DImage Z5 and the Panasonic Lumix FZ5 cameras. From what i read they are a step above the ones listed and offer quality and speed in a compact lightweight package that still offers advanced features alongside the point & shoot.
xjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote