Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 15, 2005, 12:42 PM   #1

I'm looking for THE best ultra-compact camera. In order of importance, some features that I'm looking for are:

Low noise
Fast power-to-record time
Little shutter lag
Fast shot-to-shot time
Large LCD
Low chromatic abberation
Best shot selection
Manual focus
Aperture and shutter priorities
Image stabilization
Low barrel distortion

I realize that all of these features are not available in one single ultra-compact camera. But I need something that I can stick in my pocket since I will be traveling in the summer.

Thanks so much.
JNish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2005, 12:57 PM   #2

You have built the perfect camera. . Unfortunately, no one else has. I think the only ultra compact with image stabilization is the FX7. I don't know of any that have manual focus or shutter/aperture priority control.

Read the reviews on the FX7. If you can live without a viewfinder, it has a lot of the other qualities you are looking for.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 1:29 PM   #3

Ultra compacts don't have shuuter/aperature priority but compacts do... you may want to look at the newly introduced Panasonic LC1 and LC2 or perhaps wait for the 2005 equivalent of CAnon A95.... also cameras like Canon S70, Sony P150, etc offer manual features in a compact design...

As far as ultra-zooms are concerned, most of them have noise problems, chromatic abberation issues, and flash red-eye problems... the best ultra-compacts IMO are Panasonic FX7 and Canon SD300... I also like Sony W1 as a budget choice... none of these have manual controls and only Panasonic FX7 has image stabilization...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 1:33 PM   #4

I should clarify that the most important features I'm looking for are the one's on the top of the list. Image stabilization sounds nice but it won't account for moving subjects, although I'm sure in my travels a lot of my pictures are going to be indoor pictures of statues, etc.

I've been looking into the SD300 because of its new, faster DIGICII processor. This would give me the quick responsiveness I'm looking for, but I've heard Canons are bad with chromatic abberation. But the most important feature I'm looking for is low noise in low light conditions but nobody really seems to review that. Any suggestions?
JNish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:41 PM   #5

JNish wrote:
Quote:
I've been looking into the SD300 because of its new, faster DIGICII processor. This would give me the quick responsiveness I'm looking for, but I've heard Canons are bad with chromatic abberation. But the most important feature I'm looking for is low noise in low light conditions but nobody really seems to review that. Any suggestions?
There are only a few sensor manufacturers so nearly all the cameras within a price range/type have the same sensor. The noise is somewhat similar in all of them (namely, they all suck in low-light). Review sites like dcresource.com and dpreview.com generally test noise performance and ISOs. So check them out...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 1:47 PM   #6

I would say to take a very hard look at the Sony W1. It doesn't have much in the way of manual options, but otherwise it's one of the best camera's out there for it's price. It's very responsive, takes very good pics, has a huge LCD, and very dependable (well made and no E18 error). Also, if you're looking for a camera for traveling, it's always a plus to be able to buy some batteries at a local store (the W1 takes AA's). I myself own the Sony P150, and I would highly recommend that as well.

Good luck with your search!~Jack
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 4:07 PM   #7

Often imaging-resource.com also does indoor no flash portrait shots at the various ISO settings, as well as a few other shots with varying ISOs.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote