Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 16, 2005, 11:33 AM   #1

This is my first post as I am new to the digital world. I have shot with slr film camera only. I am ready to make the jump but am not sure wether to go dslr (such as Pentax ist ds or d70). I am also seriously considering the fz20. How will I know if I am ready for a dslr and should just take the plunge or if it is too much camera for me? I don't want to put down the cash on a camera that I will outgrow in a couple of years though. What do you think?
amyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:04 PM   #2

If you have always used a film SLR then you are ready for a DSLR, and you will not outgrow it soon. The Panasonic FZ20 is a very nice camera which would be an excellent choice, especially for anyone more familiar with p&s cameras, but it does not have the responsiveness of an SLR.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:23 PM   #3

Thank you so much for the feedback! Do you have any suggestions on which dslr? I am debating between the ist ds and the d70.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:23 PM   #4

There is really no such thing as "too much" with a DSLR except for two things:

(i) price
(ii) size

If money isn't an issue and if the larger size is ok with you then I don't think you can go wrong with a DSLR. Don't forget that DSLRs have automatic modes just like consumers/prosumers. The only thing is that they may not be as user friendly but this is pretty minor if you have past experience with any camera (film or not). Do note that trying to replicate the prosumers will cost a bit but I'm assuming money isn't an issue (eg. trying to get 10x image stabilized zoom lens for a DSLR is expensive)...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:45 PM   #5

Yea, I'm trying not to base my whole decision on the money but I do get overwhelmed with everything I "need" for the resuts I want. It all adds up so quickly! Besides I just have SO much to learn. I expect a learning curve but with a dslr will I end up frustrated with my shots for long-- unless I buy all the gadgets (extra lens, software, etc)?
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:18 PM   #6

amyg wrote:
Quote:
Yea, I'm trying not to base my whole decision on the money but I do get overwhelmed with everything I "need" for the resuts I want. It all adds up so quickly! Besides I just have SO much to learn. I expect a learning curve but with a dslr will I end up frustrated with my shots for long-- unless I buy all the gadgets (extra lens, software, etc)?
You don't really need to buy anytying "extra" per se, except a lens that you need. You can just buy over time, and as you need things. For example, you can just buy a "normal" mid-range lens and then buy a wide-angle later on or something--or whatever.

You also don't need to buy software. You can follow the path of some purists, who try to frame, fix, and optimize the picture using the camera and perform little post-processing. Or you can be like a consumer/prosumer user and just use free/low-cost/simple graphics editing programs.

The only thing is that you won't have the complete package right away (unless you spend a lot of money).
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 7:22 PM   #7

Thank you! I guess I read all this stuff on the forums and it gets my head spinning. I am glad to know it is okay to take it slow and decide what I need as I learn. I tend to be a perfectionist but that can spoil the whole fun of experimenting! Besides, that is the advantage of digital, right? I don't have to put out cash for things I don't like. Just delete!
Old Feb 16, 2005, 10:18 PM   #8

The D70 is a big winner in the reviews, very fast with excellent image quality, however for somewhat less money the Pentax *istDS is just as sturdy, considerably smaller, has equal image quality and uses AA sized batteries. The SD cards it uses help the compact size and it will use any K-mountPentax lens which has an A setting on its aperture ring.

I'd get the Pentax (and still might)

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 11:17 PM   #9

If you can wait until 6am tomorrow morning, you may be in for a suprise...
Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:17 AM   #10

Your killin' me here! Okay, I'll wait.