Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 16, 2005, 6:50 PM   #1

I am considering buying a Digital Camera and I need to make choice on Canon S 60 or Olympus C 765/770. My Print Picture size could go max upto 8 x 10 and I take family group and nature photos. Could anyone help me in making the right choice, in terms of any other points you think right.
KetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2005, 6:50 PM   #2

KetMan wrote:
Quote:
I am considering buying a Digital Camera and I need to make choice on Canon S 60 or Olympus C 765/770. My Print Picture size could go max upto 8 x 10 and I take family group and nature photos. Could anyone help me in making the right choice, in terms of any other points you think right.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 10:17 PM   #3

I have always liked the Oly cameras - especially the Point and shoot models (I still have my abused 340dl 6 yrs and going strong!) I believe the Oly has a greater soom that may be better for outdoors/ature shots - both should print well to 8x10
Geeeyejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:12 AM   #4

Just to clarify:

When you say nature, you mean wildlife, not landscape photos, correct?
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:59 PM   #5

Both wildife as well as landscape, I like to take picutes at sea side, mountains
Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:28 AM   #6

I have been eyeing Oly for so long. Imagine from model C750 >> C770!!! I just luv the 10x optical zoom!! :-)

So...it tis cam a good buy?

Peace...

Caralyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:28 AM   #7

I have been eyeing Oly for so long. Imagine from model C750 >> C770!!! I just luv the 10x optical zoom!! :-)

So...it tis cam a good buy?

Peace...

Caralyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:58 AM   #8

How is its working in the dark light? Especially pitcures taking under dark condition. with flash. Do you find any diiference between wide angle usage, canon s60 gives an wide angle of 28 mm and Oly of 35 mm
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:06 AM   #9

Hi,

if you had said landscape only, but not wildlife so much, the S60 would have been the easy choice. 28mm gives you a much wider field of view, very useful indoors and for landscapes.

However, at the tele end, you only get 100mm with the S60, compared with 380mm for the Oly's, so it would be hard to get close to animals far away from you.

As far as low light, there are good and bad things with both. With the S60, I believe you get a useful AF-assist light the Oly's lack, but with the C-770 (not the C-765) you get a hotshoe mount where you can attach an external (though expensive) flash.

Of course, the S60 is also much more pocketable (though not tiny, like the Elphs) than the Oly's.

Personally, I would suggest you take a look at the Panasonic FZ series. The FZ3 is about the same size as the Oly's, and it offers image stabilization which is very useful for a long zoom. Also, its range goes from 35-420mm, so you get better wide angle than the Oly's (though not as good as the S60), and better tele than them also. Unfortunately, it's only 3 MP, but new ones with higher resolution are coming out soon (FZ4 and FZ5). Further, they also have the AF-assist light for low-light conditions. If you're willing to look at a larger camera, consider the FZ10, FZ15, and FZ20.

As far as flash range, the Panasonic FZ3 and the Oly's have good flashes, the S60 not as good. The FZ20 and maybe FZ15 also, (not sure about the 15) have exceptional flashes.

Of course, if size is a concern, and you mainly take indoors pictures with decent lighting and landscapes, then the S60 would be a good idea.

Really, I think Panasonics might be a better choice, unless you like to take movies, in which case the Oly's are a good choice.

Bottom line, I hope this helps you, but you must make the decision yourself. All of them are really nice cameras, and I suspect that you'll be happy with whichever one you choose.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:10 AM   #10

38mm is the widest the Olys will go. 28mm lets you get about half as much again of the scene in the photo. With a wide angle lens you tend to get much nicer scenic photographs and indoor group shots are easier. There are situations you just can't stand back far enough to get everything you want in a picture.

On the other hand you sometimes want to zoom in on a distant object. The S60 doesn't do that nearly as well.

Nobody can decide for you. Those cameras are just vastly different in concept and you have to decide whether you want long zoom or wide-angle capability. The Olys don't focus well in low light. The manual focus has a distance readout that might make it a good option, but it is a hassle when you just need a quick shot. The Canon has a focus assist light and focuses well in limited light.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote