Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 16, 2005, 6:26 PM   #1

I used to do a lot of photography...but it has been a loooooong time...and I used to use a 35mm camera, not digital. Now I am a stay at home mom and I want to start a home-based business taking "professional" pictures of children.

I have some money to invest into this business...but, of course, I am hesitant to throw it all in and to lose it all. I have been doing some research, and I was thinking of getting the Canon EOS 20D. I like the price and the fact that it has 8mp in case I want to really enlarge. But I wonder if it is the right camera. The I heard some things about the 20D where there were some problems with handheld closeups, the viewfinder, and spotmetering.

Also, the lens that comes with it...will that suffice to start or should I invest in another lens?

(FYI - I will mainly be doing whitebackdrop photos for now)

I am interested in some opinions...

Thanks!!!

:|

Aziah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:12 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I got back into photography when I got the 20D after having used my SLR relatively infrequently over the years. I love it.

The 18-55mm kit lens is IMHO not good enough for professional work. I have one and have replaced it with the EFS 17-85mm lens which may well be good enough for you, it's a very nice lens.

However the 50mm f1.8 is a lovely portrait lens and only costs around $100. You could also try the 85mm f1.8 for a reasonable price.

The viewfinder is the best in its class, which is to say not nearly as good as the $5000 D1 or the $8000 D1S, but better than anything else around its price point. It's plenty bright enough for me - but maybe it's not good enough for you. It's spotmetering is fine, but the centre "spot" is quite big (9% of frame) compared to say the Nikon D70. I've not heard anything about handheld closeups.

Best thing to do is to try it out and see if you like it.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:28 PM   #3

I have had the same question (also for kid shots) and today Canon anounced their new Canon Rebel 350d (go to breaking news on home page). Check it out!
amyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 4:03 PM   #4

Thank you both very much!!!
Old Feb 17, 2005, 4:26 PM   #5

Are you talking portraiture or candids? For portraiture you will probably be using external lights and an external flash-meter. For handheld candids the metering in the camera is very good, but you may be more interested in one or moreexternal flash(s) like the Canon ex580, or Sigma 500DG super.

Unless you can really handle them kids are a tough subject, they rarely take direction well and don't hold still for more that a second. I recommend crazy glue and maybe apeto hold them in place.:blah:

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 5:11 PM   #6

Peter...I want to set up a studio in my basement. I did some research and if I decided to go ahead with this business...I would get two tungsen softboxes, a round reflector and a white backdrop (just to get started). My goal is children's portriats (for now). I just read the article amyg recommended and apparently Canon now has the rebel XT as well as the 350D. But I think the 350D is inferior to the 20D (if I understand correctly). I just don't know how the new XT compares to the 20D.

Am I on the right path? Should I look at the XT? Is there another one that is better? (sorry...no apes for sale!) :lol:
Old Feb 17, 2005, 7:06 PM   #7

I don't do it as business but here's a sample of what I get with my 20D. My setup for this was as follows, prices are approximates...

Canon 50mm 1.4 Lens $340
A couple of AC Strobes (the kind that screw into a lightbulb socket) - about $75 a piece.
2 umbrellas - $50 a piece.
4 lightstands - used about $20
other brackets and stuff... gosh maybe $100...
Material from JoAnn's Fabric.... ????

(lot of this stuff I've had for years)

So nothing really fancy... but we're happy with the results:

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:52 PM   #8

:-)The Rebel-XT and the 350d posts are referring to is the same camera. Just as the original dRebel was also known as a 300d.

Canons lineup is target at the following audiences

The dRebel series is classed as consumer grade, the 20d is prosumer, and the 1D series is professional.

Hunt down Kalypso's lighting hints and tutorials, he has put together a lot of useful hints and tips.

Peter.
Quote:
Canon now has the Rebel [b]XT as well as the 350D. But I think the 350D is inferior to the 20D (if I understand correctly).
[/quote]
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:54 PM   #9

Excellent shot Mr_Saginaw , you can't even see the duct-tape:!:

Peter.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:13 AM   #10

Thanks for the info guys...that IS a beautiful pic :-)