Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 17, 2005, 7:45 AM   #1

We have gone through 4 digital cameras in the past 6 months. We've tried everything and I haven't had any luck finding someone who can actually really answer the questions I have.

these are my requirements:
1) style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"640X480 we are only using the pictures for our website and our auctions so they don't need to be better than 72dpi. This shouldn't be difficult.

2) Either an FTP client built into the camera or some kind of software solution that supports instant upload to an FTP server. So "snap--->server" with no human interface or file naming or directory changing. Does not have to be wireless.

3)Any reasonable price is ofvery little considerationconsideration.Custom software is evenbeing explored at about $10,000 so if I have to buy a $2,000 camera I think I'm getting off cheap. I'm still going to look for the best deal on the camera.

4) Lengthy extended service plan. Once we have the camera that works we will need long time support.

"I know about the Nikon D2H. We went through a Nikon - a high end one and found the controls to be akward. That said- I'm sure it's an entirely different interface. Has anyone had experience w/ the FTP/wireless attachment on this? The WT1A I believe is what it's called.

"REALLY all I need is any digital camera with a unit similiar to the WT1A attached to it. That would be great. But I think Nikon is the only player in that right now.

"This may be a stupid question- but would a webcam work??

"Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks so much for your input.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"regards-joe

sumofallparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:19 AM   #2
Super Moderator

sumofallparts wrote:
Quote:
these are my requirements:

2) Either an FTP client built into the camera or some kind of software solution that supports instant upload to an FTP server. So "snap--->server" with no human interface or file naming or directory changing. Does not have to be wireless.
As a software developer I have to ask what happens to the picture when it gets to the ftp server? You will have to have some human intervention at some point to match the photo to your database.

It sounds like you have rather special needs, and that in fact what you might be looking for is a camera that recognizes what it's taking a picture of! :-) There is almost certainly no camera that will fit your needs without a bit of customization.

Now a fancy interface might cost you $10,000 but it certainly need not. With most digicams it should be possible to set them up so that windows will automatically download the pictures into a folder of your choice and delete the images from the camera as soon as you connect them. It isn't always obvious how to do this - but certainly should be possible with most cameras, I can do it with my Canon 20D for example. Ask if you need more details.

With a bit of configuration, plus perhaps a bit of utility programming, it would mean taking the photos then plugging the camera into the PC then waiting for a bit and switching the camera off again. That's all the user intervention that would be required - though the webcam route would require even less and remove the requirement for plugging and unplugging.

Actually, I think a webcam is probably a better bet: first of all most of the higher spec. ones now do resolution of 640x480. They also tend to cost <$100.

e.g. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...nce&vi=reviews

Typically they are bundled with software that allows you to take snapshot photos.

Then just set up a small utility program that watches the output/save directory of the camera and automatically transfers it to the ftp site.

That should do it. It will mean that you need to click with the mouse on the PC to take the photo, and that should be the last user intervention required to get the photo to the ftp site.

The hardware costs will be minimal and any novice programmer should be able to write a program that does the transfer.

Not much development at all and certainly not $10,000 worth. Of course if you connect it to the right PC it may be that you don't need to ftp it at all because it will already be accesible by the application that needs it. This might easily be the case if your ftp site is on a local PC or windows server. If you're ftp site is on a different server or on a remote site then you would need the transfer utility.

To provide more info I will need more detailed info of your requirements.

Actually - I might be able to write a utility for you which could do what you need - will work for lenses...hahaha :-)

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:07 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Feel free to send me a private message if you don't want to discuss the specific detail of your requirements in a public forum.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:38 AM   #4

Virtually all cameras can step down in resolution to 640x480.

Automated file upload is not a common requirement, but I understand the need. Kodak has a EasyShare system that automates uploading pictures from camera to their ofoto online gallery. Maybe that is worth investigating.
msb0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:22 AM   #5

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
sumofallparts wrote:
Quote:

As a software developer I have to ask what happens to the picture when it gets to the ftp server? You will have to have some human intervention at some point to match the photo to your database.
Quote:
We will link to the photo(s) manually. There is no way around that.
Quote:

It sounds like you have rather special needs, and that in fact what you might be looking for is a camera that recognizes what it's taking a picture of! :-) There is almost certainly no camera that will fit your needs without a bit of customization.
Quote:
LOL! (Well if I can find a way to cram a square peg into a round hole, I'll find the hard way)
Quote:

Now a fancy interface might cost you $10,000 but it certainly need not. With most digicams it should be possible to set them up so that windows will automatically download the pictures into a folder of your choice and delete the images from the camera as soon as you connect them. It isn't always obvious how to do this - but certainly should be possible with most cameras, I can do it with my Canon 20D for example. Ask if you need more details.
Quote:
I'll PM you- I'm definitely interested in how you set that up.
Quote:

With a bit of configuration, plus perhaps a bit of utility programming, it would mean taking the photos then plugging the camera into the PC then waiting for a bit and switching the camera off again. That's all the user intervention that would be required - though the webcam route would require even less and remove the requirement for plugging and unplugging.

Actually, I think a webcam is probably a better bet: first of all most of the higher spec. ones now do resolution of 640x480. They also tend to cost <$100.

e.g. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...amp;vi=reviews

Typically they are bundled with software that allows you to take snapshot photos.

Then just set up a small utility program that watches the output/save directory of the camera and automatically transfers it to the ftp site.
Quote:
this is the part that gets confusing to me- would this be some kind of utility that I download or have to develop or can I buy?? I'll PM you.
Quote:

That should do it. It will mean that you need to click with the mouse on the PC to take the photo, and that should be the last user intervention required to get the photo to the ftp site.

The hardware costs will be minimal and any novice programmer should be able to write a program that does the transfer.
Quote:
any novice program writers for hire?
Quote:

Not much development at all and certainly not $10,000 worth. Of course if you connect it to the right PC it may be that you don't need to ftp it at all because it will already be accesible by the application that needs it. This might easily be the case if your ftp site is on a local PC or windows server. If you're ftp site is on a different server or on a remote site then you would need the transfer utility.

To provide more info I will need more detailed info of your requirements.

Actually - I might be able to write a utility for you which could do what you need - will work for lenses...hahaha :-)
sumofallparts is offline   Reply With Quote