Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:24 AM   #11

Ponin wrote:
Quote:
To all the 20D owners reading this, I am thinking of getting an XT, not because I think it is any better than the 20D, but only because it is kinder to my budget. If I could be in a better situation, I would have no trouble choosing the 20D. It is a fantastic camera. In fact, I am seriously considering waiting longer to save up for the 20D. Although I focus more on still life, landscape and portraits, so the higher fps may not be absolutely necessary. It is nice to have though in case my tastes change and more action happens to fill my frame.
First off the 20d is the better camera. I have already found the 350d for $899.99 body or $999.99 with an 18-55 ef lens. the 350d will give you 8.0 mgpx &3 fps& the 20d will give 5fps at 8.3 mgpx. they both have the aps-c size sensor.
Improvements over the EOS 300D

The new CMOS sensor and high performance DIGIC II performance lead a number of improvements to the EOS 300D. Other advances include E-TTL II distance-linked flash metering for easy, consistent and precise flash exposures. Users can now select between three focus modes: One-Shot AF, AI SERVO and AI Focus. Writing to memory card is 3.5 times faster and the interface is upgraded to USB 2.0 Hi-Speed for fast image downloads. Mirror lock-up and 2nd curtain flash have also been added.

http://http://www.dpreview.com/news/...on_eos350d.asp

go here to see review. i have seen the 20d for 1449.99 with a n 18-55 ef lens at costco.comso if you have the extra 450.00 i would buy the 20d. if you want to savethe 450.00 & get a flash buy the 350d and get ther canon speedligh 550ex for around 400.00. then send me the extra 50.00

hope i helped.....
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:47 AM   #12

Man is this a test of patience...I wish the XT was out for a couple of weeks with in-depth reviews...

I'm almost 100% ready to get the D70 but the XT is really piquing my curiosity. Is it worth the wait? Money doesn't seem to be an issue if I can believe what some are saying (XT for around $1400-$1500 Cdn)...

Ponin, I don't recall reading much about noise at high ISOs with the D70 (don't take this to mean I don't believe you). How much noise is there i.e. how much does it affect photos? Presumably it's in low-light shots...?

Also, I have some concern about the lens that comes with the Rebels. I'd like your opinion. One informed opinion I hear was that the lens isn't the best..
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:51 AM   #13

major wrote:
Quote:
Hey Ponin,

I was in a shop the other day here in Vancouver and they estimated the XT kit with the 18-55mm lens will go for around 1300 or 1400 CDN. Sounds reasonable, given the competition.

-major

sweeeeeeeeeeeet! hey u know where in Vancouver? kerrisdale's? Leo's? Broadway?
Cowardlylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:52 PM   #14

Man, hearing so many different things.

One store guesses April or May arrival of the XT, while another says March. I asked Canon and am waiting for a response. No one would even guess at a price.

When/if I hear from Canon, I'll pass it on.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 8:23 PM   #15

I heard that Canon will be shipping it in March, and I also heard that the price will be $899 body only, so that means the kit should be $999
from Dpreview ". . .lower introductory list price (US: $899 body only, Europe: €899 body only). . ."
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05...on_eos350d.asp
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 12:27 AM   #16

Patton wrote:
Quote:
Man is this a test of patience...I wish the XT was out for a couple of weeks with in-depth reviews...

I'm almost 100% ready to get the D70 but the XT is really piquing my curiosity. Is it worth the wait? Money doesn't seem to be an issue if I can believe what some are saying (XT for around $1400-$1500 Cdn)...

Ponin, I don't recall reading much about noise at high ISOs with the D70 (don't take this to mean I don't believe you). How much noise is there i.e. how much does it affect photos? Presumably it's in low-light shots...?

Also, I have some concern about the lens that comes with the Rebels. I'd like your opinion. One informed opinion I hear was that the lens isn't the best..
I haven't heard anything about noise problems with the D70, there may or may not be. All I know is that the new XT has a better sensor over the 300D which allows the XT to have low noise across higher ISOs. This was mentioned in the PMA report.

http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon..._rebel_xt.html

What I read a few days ago on the Canon website was the XT was due for release in March, when in March is unclear. The release price is $1400CDN. I am expecting this price to drop in the next few months after its release. Especially at Aden Camera.

Anyways, when picking a camera, it is especially important not to compare numbers if they are fairly similar. D70 has flash sync at a slightly higher speed, and a higher max. shutter speed over the XT. I have no use for these. The XT has 8.0 megapixels which does interest me because I like to do some cropping of photos sometimes. Ultimately, it rests on image quality. I have been a loyal Canon follower for over a decade and have never swayed. I have always trusted Canon's optics. That is why I seriously recommend the XT over the D70. I have compared the samples from the 300D and the D70 and the D70's are all off to me for some reason. The colour just isn't right for some reason. And the pictures have a dark feel which I just don't like. Not that the D70 isn't a good camera, just not what I prefer.

The kit lens (18-55) are cheap, in price and quality. They are good for someone to get started, they are decent for taking pics, but the quality matches the price. If you buy the 17-85mm, I am certain you will be happy. Even though I haven't tried these out myself, I have read on these forums that they are very good lens, pricier, but very good. I plan on getting those very lens.

I have decided on the XT or the 20D. The D70 crossed my mind for only 1/500s. Asked whether I would take the D70 or a 300D, I would take the D70, then sell it to buy an XT or a 20D. D70 is a good camera, but I prefer the image quality of Canon.
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 12:34 AM   #17

Patton wrote:
Quote:

I am expecting the price of the XT to drop to $1100-$1200 at some point. Noise is often noticeable in cameras at high ISOs in low light conditions. The new APS-C sensor coupled with the DIGIC II processor is supposed to reduce noise in low light markedly, as "reproduce natural colours and capture the very finest details with unprecedented speed." according to the Canon site. DIGIC II is the same processor used in the 1D Mark II professional series. If you are worried about lens quality and have the cash for it, go with the 17-85mm EF-S lens.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 11:34 AM   #18

The announced release date is March 20, and Canon's been accurate with these recently as I recall. Vistek in Toronto is particularly good about their announcements. But you'll probably have to pre-order it soon in order to get in on the first shipments, assuming you're interested.

Henry's has a pre-order page up. Prices are CAD $1300 with EF-S 18-55, and $1150 body alone. I wouldn't expect the prices to change until supply exceeds demand, which might be ina couple of months.

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...;storeId=10001
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 2:44 PM   #19

Madwand wrote:
Quote:
The announced release date is March 20, and Canon's been accurate with these recently as I recall. Vistek in Toronto is particularly good about their announcements. But you'll probably have to pre-order it soon in order to get in on the first shipments, assuming you're interested.

Henry's has a pre-order page up. Prices are CAD $1300 with EF-S 18-55, and $1150 body alone. I wouldn't expect the prices to change until supply exceeds demand, which might be in a couple of months.

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&storeId=10001
That is fantastic news. The price now is comparable to the American price with the conversion factor. I was worried that it would start at $1400, can't wait until supply exceeds demand, which I hope will be the case because Canon is making twice as many XT's as it did 300D's during initial release.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 9:55 PM   #20

Cowardlylion wrote:
Quote:
major wrote:
sweeeeeeeeeeeet! hey u know where in Vancouver? kerrisdale's? Leo's? Broadway?
Lens & Shutter - so probably cheaper everywhere else
major is offline   Reply With Quote