Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 18, 2005, 1:34 AM   #1

Do you think it is worth waiting for the XT to come out and get that or to get the D Rebel? I have found one here for $1379.99 CDN (~$1100 USD) that includes EF-S 17-85mm lens, brand new. The Rebel XT will probably go for $2000 with the EF-S 17-85mm lens.

So,

Canon EOS Digital Rebel $1379 (w/EF-S 17-85mm lens)

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT $2000 (w/EF-S 17-85mm lens)

I might spend $2000-$2200, so maybe I will get the cheaper Rebel and get some better glass to reach the $2000 mark.
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:06 AM   #2

Have you heard that the XT will be $2,000 cdn? I called around yesterday and I was the one informing the camera stores that the Rebel II is out... No one could tell me a price...

Had I not found out the Rebel XT was coming out, I'd have a D70. From what I've learned and heard, the Rebel D just doesn't match up against the D70 and that the extra bucks are well worth it. But if you have a pile of Canon lenses, I guess that's a moot point.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:53 AM   #3

Patton wrote:
Quote:
Have you heard that the XT will be $2,000 cdn? I called around yesterday and I was the one informing the camera stores that the Rebel II is out... No one could tell me a price...

Had I not found out the Rebel XT was coming out, I'd have a D70. From what I've learned and heard, the Rebel D just doesn't match up against the D70 and that the extra bucks are well worth it. But if you have a pile of Canon lenses, I guess that's a moot point.
According to the Canon.ca website, the retail price of the XT will be $1450. And what aspect of the XT do you think won't match up against the D70?
Old Feb 18, 2005, 12:08 PM   #4

Woah woah everyone. First, the XT is not "out" -- it was merely announced at PMA.

Quote:
In stores beginning in March, the EOS Digital Rebel XT camera will take its place alongside the EOS Digital Rebel. The EOS Digital Rebel XT model is offered in two kit configurations: with and without Canon's high-quality EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom lens. The estimated street price for the zoom lens kit will be $999 while the estimated street price for the body only kit will be $899. The original Digital Rebel will be available at the same time for a reduced estimated street price of $799 for the zoom lens kit. The EOS Digital Rebel XT camera will be offered in both the stylish brushed silver patina and the sleek Canon matte-black finish

And the price seems pretty inflated, even with the 17-85mm lens (I'm not so sure I'd want that lens considering how expensive it is comparatively, but that's another kettle of fish).
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:40 PM   #5

perdendosi wrote:
Quote:
And the price seems pretty inflated, even with the 17-85mm lens (I'm not so sure I'd want that lens considering how expensive it is comparatively, but that's another kettle of fish).
Yeah, the announced prices always seem a little inflated, but once released, the stores always sell them for cheaper. $1400 may become $1200 quite readily, and even lower in some cases. A place like Henry's is selling the 300D for $899, but I think it dropped in anticipation of the March release of the 350D (300D sales expecting to decline). But advertised at another place, a few blocks away, it is advertised for $799. I am not sure how it works, but I am guessing the store buys them at some price, then have to sell it for a higher price to turn some profit. But, the company has to optimize between number of sales and profit for each item. Probably, the ultimate aim is to optimize total profit from sales. Some think that they can make more profit by selling more units at a lower profit for each unit. I am not in the business, so I don't know the intricacies of pricing.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:42 PM   #6

Ponin,

I meant the 300D when I saidthe Rebel Ddidn't match up against the D70. I should have been clearer.

Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 4:25 PM   #7

I don't know what camera you should buy, but if I was considering these two cameras, I would definitely go with the 350D / XT. Why? Because the couple of hundred I'd save at this time would be swamped over time with the cost of lenses, etc, and I'd probably get a longer lifespan out of the 350D than the 300D at this point.

From what I read, the 350D improves on most of the relative weaknesses of the 300D (say compared to the D70 and the 20D) -- speed being high on the list, together with flash performance. Can't tell about auto-focus performance yet. The speed is no issue if you compose your pictures like large format landscapes, but in some other cases -- e.g. sports, kids, getting off that 5th frame immediately can help capturing the moments. The 350D has enlarged JPG (14 frames vs. 4) and RAW (6 frames vs. 4) buffers, which means that you can shoot that many frames without waiting for the images to be written to the drive. Moreover, the 350D's performance in RAW is also much better than the 300D's when the buffer is full.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos350d/

Unfortunately, unlike the 20D, the batteries are not interchangeable with the 300D.

However, if this is a big purchase for you, then it might be prudent to wait for more detailed independent reviews, which check the sensor performanceand noise for example.

Finally, at this time, almost every vendor has an entry-level DSLR that's competitive. Canon and Nikon are no longer the only choices; it's quite likely that some others' products will also do very well in your hands. Choice is good.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:19 PM   #8

Patton wrote:
Quote:
Ponin,

I meant the 300D when I said the Rebel D didn't match up against the D70. I should have been clearer.
I see. In spite of this, the D70 still has some things that are 'more' than what the 350D XT offers, for example, more pixels in the LCD screen and a faster maximum shutter (1/8000s). Even if the D70 was a lower price than the XT, I would still go with the XT because of reduced noise across higher ISOs. But ultimately, it will not be a matter of 1/4000 vs 1/8000 Tv, that does not matter to me, as I am more than happy with 1/2000 or even 1/1000, but it rests on better image quality.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:24 PM   #9

To all the 20D owners reading this, I am thinking of getting an XT, not because I think it is any better than the 20D, but only because it is kinder to my budget. If I could be in a better situation, I would have no trouble choosing the 20D. It is a fantastic camera. In fact, I am seriously considering waiting longer to save up for the 20D. Although I focus more on still life, landscape and portraits, so the higher fps may not be absolutely necessary. It is nice to have though in case my tastes change and more action happens to fill my frame.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:42 PM   #10

Hey Ponin,

I was in a shop the other day here in Vancouver and they estimated the XT kit with the 18-55mm lens will go for around 1300 or 1400 CDN. Sounds reasonable, given the competition.

-major
major is offline   Reply With Quote