Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 20, 2005, 6:36 PM   #11

Hi Meryl,

Those are great pictures. Where is that? Oh, and what kind of camera did you take those with? Thanks.

:?

shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 6:44 PM   #12

Yes indeed i would be very happy with such results.

Can you tell me which camera produced these wonderfull pics ?

I`m certain whe`re talking about DSLR .

Thanks very much for the examples.
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:18 PM   #13

The first shot was taken in the parking lot where I workoutside of Toronto, Canada. Someone was asking about available light shots and so I simply set the camera on a tripod and took the shot. Aside from resizing for posting, this is exactly as it came from the camera without any post-processing or adjustment.

The second shot was of another office building across the street from our company. It was raining and there was a strange halo around the halogen spot lights on the roof...I guess it was reflecting off the rain drops. It was also placed on a tripod on the top of my car and the self-timer used to minimize vibration. As before, this is right out of the camera aside from resizing for the web.

As for which camera took them...I'm not sure that people will be pleased with the answer...

I use the Sony V3.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 2:57 AM   #14

Why would you think people don`t appreciate the V3 ?

It`s funny that these pics look bright and very much noise free because from the reviews i`ve read this camera has considerably high noise problems starting at 400ISO.

You see this is part of my problem,your pics contradict what the reviews state ? In these condition it`s really hard to choose a suitable camera.

I remember having a V3 in hand a couple of weeks ago and it feels good,not too big and not to small,i`m just a bit confused with this noise feature.....

Buy the way,what made you choose the V3 ?

Thanks

guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 5:43 AM   #15

I chose the V3 because of the Zeiss lens. All of my cameras have Zeiss lenses.

I used a little mini-tripod that I keep in my pocket for these shots and, if you have a tripod, then you don't have to worry about high ISO noise. I just let the camera choose the settings. I used aperture priority (because that is what I always use) and the camera chose shutter speed. One thing that I was particularly pleased with was the auto White balance (particularly in the first shot) even under multiple light sources (halogen, tungsten, florescent) the V3 kept the colours perfect. This is, without any need for RAW or any other post-processing.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:48 AM   #16

Hi Meryl

You have also helped me with the v-3. I was just wondering, did you have to adjust or change saturation, contrast, in the camera? So far I'm very happy with the camera. I went out side last night and with onlyour dusk to dawnyard light, Iwanted to take some pictures of the fresh 8 inches on snow on the trees and bushes. The picutres came out pretty good but the snow wasn't white, it was sort of yellowish. I don't think there was as much light as you had in your night shots and maybe that had somthing to do with it. Would adjusting saturation and contrast in the cameratake care of that color problem? If your've adjusted yours how much?

The camera does take great macro close ups, and regular shots. I'm glad I bought the camera so far.

Terry

tewitt1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 1:43 PM   #17

On these shots, there were no adjustments made but, snow is always a difficult subject because it is so white and can take on the colour of surrounding lighting.

For daylight shots, Sony has a special 'Snow' scene mode which (among other things) deliberately tells the camera to overexpose the shot (keeping the snow white intead of grey)

For a night snow shot, you would probably need to adjust the white balance to account for the warmer (probably tungsten) lighting of your dusk to dawn lights.

Look on pages 73 and 74 of the manual to see how to use the 'One push' White Balance setting that can compensate for any colouration due to lighting.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 4:26 PM   #18

Comment on those V3 pics... Those pics look good because of the following (I think):

First of all, most low-zoom prosumers (such as this Sony V3, as well as Canon G6) are perhaps the best low-zoom cameras. In particular, these cameras are pretty good at wide-angle. I would bet that these pics were taken at wide-angle.

Secondly, those pics have some bright lights... ok, maybe they aren't bright but the lights still look good... This may not be a good test of low-light situations...

Thirdly, the posted pic is small so it's hard to see any noise even if it were there...

Lastly, Meryl is actually a pretty good photographer it seems One shouldn't expect similar pics without effort...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 4:45 PM   #19

Yah...well, the canon G6 has only 4 times zoom compared to those big zoomers out there, but by geez it takes pretty good pics in low light on manual mode.

This one was taken around chinese new year of this year in Hong Kong... 1/30 secs, F2.8, ISO 400, no flash, and put through a noise filter to get rid of the noise due to the high ISO, and it turned out good. I took a bunch of pics like this hand-held (no tripod) and they were all sharp, except for maybe 1 pic where I wasn't so steady. I just held the camera as steady as I could.
Attached Images

Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 4:52 PM   #20

And this one is 1/15 sec, F2.2, no flash, ISO 400, and hand-held, with the picture noise-filtered using noiseware. Actually, I just took a look at the original pic, and there's hardly even any noise in it, so I didn't even need to use the noise filter really.

In HK, there's always a haze in the sky that makes the light get dispersed...probably due to pollution. The haze just doesn't seem to go away on any day or night...so not much we can do about that...except maybe use a lens filter. I didn't use any hardwarefilters in these pics.
Attached Images

Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote