Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:31 PM   #21

I agree, a small picture is a poor indicator of actual noise levels. Since I can't post the full size image here I will provide a link to the full size copy of picture #1 for those who are interested.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/marbing/Pictures/DSC00511.JPG

It is a 2Mb file and should still have the EXIF data attached. There has been no noise reduction software used...only what is provided in-camera at exposure time.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 7:24 PM   #22
KSV

Picture is very clean - I can not see any speakable noise at all, BUT!!! you been using ISO100 + 8 sec shutter + (of course! :-) ) tripod. With ISO100 or less almost any consumer/prosumer camera will do OK - even my old Canon A60. Question was (as least as I understood it, because it was related to IS) if something like can be done from hand. And my answer was (and is) "No, because too much noise ****AT HIGH ISO***". BTW this pix can not be taken (from hand) even with DSLR at ISO3200 (OK, as least with F5.6 :-) ). And at the end of the andcamera does nottake pix - photographer does and you, Meryl, obviously know what to do with your camera:-)

Cheers
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:02 PM   #23

Many people think that they need fancy stuff like image stabilization and, I will admit, it is quite a help when trying to handhold.

But, the idea is to work with what you have...and, in this case, a $5 mini-tripod did the trick. It isn't a big secret and, everybody can do it...with any camera.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:45 AM   #24

Here is a sample handheld low light indoor night time Pic from aFugi S5100, untouched in Auto mode, no flash, not much noise, if any? videos are similar from this camera, do you need even better???
Attached Images

MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:58 AM   #25
KSV

1/4 sec from handhold? If this is true, it is really awesome - you newer need any IS! :-)
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:52 AM   #26

Ok now take a look at this next site

http://www.digitalvisionen.de/

Taken with a Fuji S7000 which is for most people a camera out of date.This camera has it all....a good zoom....a video 640 resolution....AA batteries....and apparently good low light and night shoots!!!

Look at the night pics,unbelievable and difficult to find any better,do you think they are for real ?

The camera costs only 435 euro ,what a bargain hhuuh ?

Give me a good reason not to buy such a camera ?

What is incredible is that all the reviews i`ve read about the S7000 are bad so tell me how did this guy get such fantastic pics ?

By the way,i see the newDSLR from Canon is out, the EOS-350D the replacement of the terrific EOS-300D (879 euro body only)

guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:36 AM   #27

Hi

I was in the same position as you for over 2 month and could not decide between the A200, A2, 8800 or the Sony F828, as money is a major factor for me I needed to buy the right camrea first time around with no going back!

You can (as I did) study all the web reviews, decide on a camera then go to the user forums in the hope thateveryone just loves the camera you have decided to buy, the truth is a perfect camera does not exist as there is allways someone out there that will find fault with every camera on the market - this is what they do, this is what they enjoy doing, fault finding seems to be a strangehobby for some people, granted perple fringing on the F828 does seem to be a major concern and I agree with the complaints about the laggy stepped zoom on the 8800 but I have alsoreadabout someonecomplaining that the 8MP claim is false, in fact it is only 7.999.999 or somthing like that but still he felt cheated - sad!!!!

I bought the A200 3 days ago and love it, yes it is a bit soft but that is easily sorted as you say in camera or PS where as perple fringing / nasty zoom controlscan not.

Hope this helps

Eddz

Eddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 7:28 AM   #28

I agree that some consumers (not usually the pro critics) wouldn't be happy no matter how many megapixels, what clarity of image, what magnification a camera had. Maybe it's human nature. Maybe it's just their nature.

I had an S7000 till about 10 days ago, when it disappeared and is now probably being sold on some version of Ebay as a "hot" item. It is indeed hot. Anyway, it took good pictures. I was happy with it. I really liked being able to use rechargeable AA batteries and both CF and xD memory cards.

Despite that, I might wait a month or two or even three before buying that camera, if I were you. I suspect Fuji will be coming out with an updated version by mid-summer. If that's the case, the remaining S7000's should drop in price and you can also ask yourself, "Do I want to buy the S7100 (or whatever it is) for these extra features?"
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:31 AM   #29

None of this is meant personally... just friendly critique ...

MikeDee's hand-held pic is ok but it is blurry... I can see the blurriness with the small size pic but if you look at the original full size, I'll bet it'll be more evident. In other words, one likely can't print 8"x10" pics with that.

Meryl's full size pic is at low ISO, and as someone above mentioned, shooting at low ISOs generally results in little noise.

In any case, if noise is a concern, I would go with a low-zoom like Canon G6 or Sony V3 and shoot at wide-angle, rather than go with an ultra-zoom, like the Fuji S7000 or Panasonic FZ20 or whatever.

As far as image stabilization is concerned, I have the Canon S1 IS (which has pretty good IS) but it is very difficult to take hand-held low-light pics. I highly value IS and would pay to get a camera with it (assuming the zoom is 5x+--otherwise it is not that benefitial) but it won't let you take very good low-light pics.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:39 AM   #30

What sort of noise would we expect from a...for example...ISO 2400 shot? I don't think I have seen one fresh from the camera without a lot of heroic 'noice-reduction' interventions.

Does anybody have an example of an ISO2400 (or higher) shot?