Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 22, 2005, 3:14 PM   #31

Sivaram, you are right, but on my monitor I didn't notice the blurryness, when I downloadedit to this site I did, Anyway, It is shown heredownsized to800x600, nothing great, but not bad either I think, considering the long zoomcamera type.
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:25 PM   #32

MikDee wrote:
Quote:
Sivaram, you are right, but on my monitor I didn't notice the blurryness, when I downloaded it to this site I did, Anyway, It is shown here downsized to 800x600, nothing great, but not bad either I think, considering the long zoom camera type.
yeah.. it's not bad... however, I think if someone is expecting crisp clean pics in low-light hand-held they may be dissapointed...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:29 PM   #33

Meryl Arbing wrote:
Quote:
What sort of noise would we expect from a...for example...ISO 2400 shot? I don't think I have seen one fresh from the camera without a lot of heroic 'noice-reduction' interventions.

Does anybody have an example of an ISO2400 (or higher) shot?
Not sure about ISO2400 but here are some pics at ISO1600 using Canon20D...

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...w/IMG_0629.JPG

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...htshot1600.jpg

I don't know how much noise reduction is built into this camera but DSLRs typically have minimal in-camera processing...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:31 PM   #34

Would you consider that this shot of a couple of my friends has too much noise?

What ISO do you think it was taken at?
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 1:57 AM   #35

Yes it has way too much noise,i`d say it was taken at 800 ISO
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 7:10 AM   #36

I agree, that there is lots of visible noise but, these days, we have the choice of cameras with built-in noise reduction capabilities or using third-party noise reduction add-in like 'Neat Image'.

This shot was taken handheld (and, of course, with no flash) with the V3 'NightShot' feature and the EXIF data shows that it was ISO2500. I would expect a certain amount of noise at that ISO.

The shots are monochrome if there isn't sufficient light for colours. The greenish tint can be eliminated, of course.

In the search for a camera for night shots, this exclusiveSony feature is a plus since there are no other cameras in this class that can go as high as ISO2500. If the choices are 1) get the shot and put up with the noise or 2) not get the shot at all then many people will elect to deal with the noise. And, as I have said, we could always run the shot through one of the noise reduction add-ins.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:48 PM   #37
KSV

Meryl, look at this and make your judgment *BEFORE* open EXIF data :-)
Attached Images

KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 7:21 PM   #38

But, that would be exected with a dSLR. There are few other point and shoots that can produce anything at ISO2500.

Old Feb 23, 2005, 7:56 PM   #39
KSV

I post this pix on your request about ISO2400 or higher. Actually at ISO3200 my Pentax produce quite a bit of noise, but in this pix (right of camera, no post processing what so ever) it isinvisible because lots of small details around. The similar applicable to your B&W photo - lots of noise, but who cares? It has not make pix "unusable" in any way! Furthermore - I have seen somewhere pix of frozen trees in foggy whether. It also was B&W and there was *HEAPS* of noise, but just because of this noise pix looks wonderful!!! I just like to say that sometimes some people concentrate way too much about technical c**p instead of shooting, studying what they have and experimenting.IMHO this is probably only one real advantage of digital over film - possibility of endlessexperiments with instantaneous feedback! There is no perfect equipment, but there are heaps excellent photos made on doggy equipment as well as heaps of doggy photos made on state-of the art equipment.Fortunately cameras does not make photos - photographer does.
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 8:00 PM   #40

KSV wrote:
Quote:
I post this pix on your request about ISO2400 or higher. Actually at ISO3200 my Pentax produce quite a bit of noise, but in this pix (right of camera, no post processing what so ever) it isinvisible because lots of small details around. The similar applicable to your B&W photo - lots of noise, but who cares? It has not make pix "unusable" in any way! Furthermore - I have seen somewhere pix of frozen trees in foggy whether. It also was B&W and there was *HEAPS* of noise, but just because of this noise pix looks wonderful!!! I just like to say that sometimes some people concentrate way too much about technical c**p instead of shooting, studying what they have and experimenting.IMHO this is probably only one real advantage of digital over film - possibility of endlessexperiments with instantaneous feedback! There is no perfect equipment, but there are heaps excellent photos made on doggy equipment as well as heaps of doggy photos made on state-of the art equipment.Fortunately cameras does not make photos - photographer does.
That's exactlyright. Thanks for this excellent post.

shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote