Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:27 PM   #1

I`d like to buy a camera capable of making good night pictures.Pictures without too much noise.

I fancy a bridge camera because of the powerfull zoom and the video capabilities but are they noise sensitive ?

I had a few cameras in mind : Panasonic FZ3 - Minolta A200 - Minolta A2 - Nikon 8800

If i buy a camera with "Anti-Shake" will this give me the possibility to make night and indoor pictures withouy having to increase the ISO sensitivity ? i know that these cameras become noisy around 800 ISO.

Or maybe i`d be better of with a reflex ?

I wish i could try a few cameras before buying .

Thank you

guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 1:16 AM   #2

To take good night time photos requires a big lens, F2.8 at leastand will depend on what you want to photograph. If people I would even look at F1.8. Whatever, there are few prosumer cameras which could even think of coping, so you are left with an SLR like the Rebel or D70. I see that on Ebay there is a 50mm F1.4 for £50 and with that you can photograph by candlelight. Some of these second hand lenses are real bargains, will give you the ability to take night shots, and at the same time not cost the earth.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:05 AM   #3

Well thank you very much dor your help.

What about the FZ3 or FZ20,they both have a very good Leica F2.8 lens ? will this and it`s "anti-shake"mecanism be enough ?

I`ve seen a couple of pics taken at night and they had quite a lot of noise.....noise appeared strongly at ISO800.

As for the Rebel the pics were almost noise free rightup tol ISO1600.

I`m no professional photographer but tell me if i`m right,the ISO is important in the fact that it let`s more light though the lens or does it just try to keep thepic sharp because of the low shutter speed ?

I suppose that photography is like in other fields you cannot get everything real perfect..you have to make a choice..here the choice is,or you get a bridge camera which will handle most of the pics at a reasonable quality + the super zoom + ability to film at 640 and all thisin a quite compact format camera , or you get a reflex which will not record films but only pics which will undoubtebly be of very superior quality,with more costly zooms which will have to be purchased seperately.

Thats my choice right ?

Thanks again
Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:11 AM   #4

The just announced Fuji FZ10 is supposed to have very good lowlight performance. However, it has just a 3X optical zoom. I strongly doubt that the current superzoom prosumer cameras will give you what you want. A few have ISO 800 settings, but there's almost always lots of noise at that level.

You may have to go to a DSLR with a fast zoom lens. That will cost a bit, I am afraid.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:03 AM   #5
TC3

There are a few pics of low light photography in the Kyocera forum....have a look at the M410R....i have had good results with this camera doing low light pics and it is a very well priced camera

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 5:26 PM   #6

You can read reviews on sites like dpreview.com or dcresource.com for ISO/noise tests. DCresource.com takes low light pics at different ISOs so you can get a good idea of the low light performance...

Boosting the ISO basically boosts sensitivity. It doesn't really let in more light but it amplifies the light that is detected. THe downside to boosting ISO (or increasing sensitivity) is, of course, that it increases noise as well.

The ultra-zooms (10x+ zoom) have tons of noise because they use smaller sensors than low-zoom cameras (within a price range). The low-zooms, such as Canon G6, tend to have better noise performance. BUT the actual results depend on the specifics (for example, Canon G6 starts out at F2.0 at wide-angle and drops off like crazy when you zoom; whereas the Panasonic FZ20 starts out at F2.8 and stays at F2.8 as you zoom).

If you want good low-light performance, I would stay away from ultra-zooms (of course, if you need high zoom then you have no choice I suppose). (Boosting the ISO also lets you use higher shutter speeds, which can help when taking action shots (low-light or not), but this has nothing to do with low-light photography per se).

Overall, I would say that consumer and prosumer digicams have poor to horrible low-light performance. They really aren't going to satisfy you if you are into night photography--you'll be lucky if you can shoot anything decent at ISO400...You really need to go for a DSLR if you want good low-light performance. As you alluded to, a low-end DSLR like Canon 300D/Digital Rebel at ISO800 is almost the equivalent of a consumer/prosumer at ISO200!!! That's a huge difference in noise.

So to sum up, if you need serious night photography, you have to go for a DSLR...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 2:07 PM   #7

I know now that for good night pictures i should buy a DSLR but let us say that i would find it important that my camera has the following possibilities :

A good zoom

Full manual control

Not too big and heavy

Good video (640 at 30 fps)

Good battery life (if possible AA )

Good quality pics (viewing pics on TV) therefore very good lens

The bestquality night pictures keeping the noise as low as possible

Maybe Anti Shake (helps with low light)

I like to view the pics on TV but i rarelly print larger then 6X4,finding a camera with all these features is almost impossible but i`ll settle for something close.

>>> i know a few camera with these possibilities but which one is best :

Minolta A200 - Minolta Z3 (soon Z5) - A2 - Panasonic FZ3,FZ20 (soon FZ5)

Canon IS - Fuji S5500 - Nikon 8800

If only i could try them out.......here in Belgium this is impossible....i better make the right choice from the start.

If someone has low light or night pictures taken with any of these cameras i would really like to see them.you can send them to [email protected]

Thank you.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 5:14 PM   #8
KSV

Everything is OK, except of low light. I have FZ-10 and happy with it, but you should forget about low light pix. I never use ISO more that 100 - IMHO useless. And despite being an excellent device anti-shake has limited usage for low-light shooting - you can (potentially) stabilize *YOUR* movement, but how about *SUBJECT* movement? So what is left? Landscapes? But you can put camera on tripod and have 1 sec or even more for such an exercises without any IS! IS (IMHO) is very usable with long tele (300+ equiv) when you can shoot with 1/100 sec (not 1/500) - this is area when IS shines. And I totally support point of view Sivaram Velauthapillai- prosumer and consumer cameras has horrible low-light performance
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 5:27 PM   #9

robbo wrote:
Quote:
The just announced Fuji FZ10 is supposed to have very good lowlight performance. However, it has just a 3X optical zoom. I strongly doubt that the current superzoom prosumer cameras will give you what you want. A few have ISO 800 settings, but there's almost always lots of noise at that level.

You may have to go to a DSLR with a fast zoom lens. That will cost a bit, I am afraid.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05...inepixf10z.asp

If you can wait 'til April... :-)

shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 5:27 PM   #10

Would you be happy with something like this?

Or this

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote