Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:29 PM   #1

Im leaning towards these 2 models the a95 and FX-7, money isnt a problem buying it, but i wanna get the best one and since im a beginner i cant choose without recommendation.

So to begin with, i have used the prior a95 baby sister the a70 and a80 and i like it. never used any panasonic lumix but the one thing that sets it apart is the large LCD screen (with protection) and the Image Stabilizer mode which is beneficial.

But after soughting out of reviews from my other camera-happy friends they informed me that the Image Stabilizer doesnt make much a difference.

My Needs: I would like to play around with the shutter speed, ISO and everything since i used to be an avid SLR fan back in the days. Basically i like customizability in a camera...

So Which one should i get Canon A95 or Panasonic Lumix FX-7

PS - Sorry if this question has been asked before as i have used the search function and no topic came up and also THANKS in advance.
fleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:40 AM   #2

Here's a side by side comparison of the two...

First of all, you won't see much difference between the A95 and the A80/A70/etc. So you pretty much know how it is. A95 is what I would call a 'compact'...

The Panasonic FX7 is what I would call 'ultra-compact'. It is MUCH smaller than the A95. Roughly speaking, the following comments apply to ultra-compacts vs compacts in general:

* ultra-compacts generally have worse noise
* ultra-compacts generally have weaker flash and greater red-eye problems
* ultra-compacts generally have larger LCD
* ultra-compacts generally have better case (metal)
* ultra-compacts generally don't offer manual controls (such as control over aperature/shutter speed)

Those comments are for roughly any camera... So you basically have to pick convenience/size/coolness (ultra-compact) vs manual controls/quality (compact).

If you want manual aperature/shutter priority modes, you have to get a COMPACT OR LARGER. The ultra-compacts generally do not offer those controls (or at best, offer very limited control over the shutter speeds). The Pansonic FX7 definitely does not offer shutter & aperature priority modes. So if you want those, you have to look at compacts (the Panasonic compact line is the 'LC' line) ...

I am a big fan of image stabilization BUT IS likely makes little difference for these low-zoom cameras. When zoom is low (say 3x or 4x max), the blurriness caused by handshake is very minor (compared to, say, 10x zoom). So I don't think IS is THAT KEY of a factor. It helps and I would consier it a bonus but I wouldn't be as picky about it as if I was buying an ultra-zoom.

Based on what you have described, the best camera for you is perhaps a new one that Panasonic announced (likely will show up in stores in two months). The cameras I have in mind are the Panasonic LC1 and LC2. Cameras haven't come out so we don't know how good the quality is, but the specs match what you want. These are basically compacts, with manual priority modes, image stabilization, and 6x zoom(!!!). I say: wait and check these out...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 7:15 PM   #3

I agree with the above post. It is not really a good comparison; the FX7 (which I have and like) is a much smaller camera. Wait for the LC2 to out in 60 days if the FX7 does not fit your needs...
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 3:51 AM   #4

dude, Sivaram Velauthapillai , you really helped answer my doubts man, much probs to ya, and i am checking out the Leica2 , however i have place an order on a95, cause i need a digicam urgently and manual customization is what i want so im going ahead with a95, thanks again man! \m/
fleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 12:37 PM   #5

I just noticed that onecall.com has the FX7 in stock for $359. Heck of a deal, especially since they are reliable folks in Washington, not the jerks in NYC...(sorry, B&H, you guys are cool it's the other ones who give Brooklyn a bad name)
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:31 PM   #6

I don't agree that stabilization isn't significant in the FX7. Whatever zoom range you are using stabilization will give you sharp images at 1/4 to 1/8 the shutter speed according to whose hype you believe. That means you can get indoor shots in good light without flash in many circumstances at wider angles.

Phil at dpreview makes a good point that the stabilization on the FX7 mostly makes up for not being able to hold the camera well because of the lack of an optical viewfinder. Even if you brace in your elbows, holding the camera out in front of you is probably worth at least an f-stop in camera shake.

I don't think you would be happy with the FX7. It is a pure point and shoot. It focuses fine in low light, but with no viewfinder and the LCD not brightening it is problematic framing a flash shot in low light. I really want a pocket camera with stabilization now that I have experienced what it can do, but the FX7 isn't on my wish list.

The A95 is an all-round great camera, but it isn't going to slide in your jeans pocket. If the size is OK it is a great camera for the price.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote