Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 19, 2005, 1:31 AM   #1

i'm planning to buy a new cam but i've three choices. each has pro and con.

for me:

S1 - cheapest and long zoom with IS but i adi have A70 (3.2Mp)

G6 and Pro 1 - both oso have good quality image

so for u which to choose???????????????

help
ph_5599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:25 AM   #2

Why all Canon? Are you limited to those?

There are new models coming out within the next two months so if time is not of the essence, I would wait a bit. In the worst case, the new models will at least push the prices of the old ones down.

In any case, if money is no objective then the high-end prosumers are probably the best. They have many shortcomings and likely aren't the best if you count bang for your buck, but if you ignore cost, they are the best it seems. Perhaps the benchmark high end prosumer is the Olympus 8080. I would pick that over Canon Powershot Pro1 any day. The Pro1 is flawed in soem respects and I wouldn't really get that. I'm just guessing but Canon may announce a successor to the Pro1--otherwise, I would stay away from the Pro1. Don't forget that high-end prosumers approach the cost of a low-end DSLR (eg. Canon Digital Rebel) with minimal features (eg. one basic lens). So it is worth looking into the low-end DSLRs if you are going for the high-end prosumer.

The Canon G6 is the best one you have listed (if you look at the cost for its features). It is arguably the best mid-end prosumer. If you don't like the G6, you may want to consider the Sony V3, which is also good but I think is worse than G6 because of slightly worse ISO performance.

The S1 IS is the cheapest here, as you mentioned, so it isn't exactly comparable to the rest. It is perhaps the best ultra-zoom out there if you care about video. If you don't care about video then something like Pansonic FZ3 is better--or the higher cost FZ20 (5 megapixels vs 3MP on the FZ3).

If you REALLY need zoom (eg. shooting birds in a tree, animals strolling about, sports athletes down on the field, etc) then you need an ultra-zoom. Otherwise, I think the G6 offers the best deal here. It is low-zoom but is better than anything here including the Pro1 IMO (if you count the flaws of the Pro1).
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:01 AM   #3

check this out :

:|http://www.diwa-awards.com/awards
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:02 AM   #4

thanx for your reply. y all canon??? because i love its design and performance. then the CF card/microdrive, although is the biggest saiz compare to others. Actually i love long zoom camera that can............

check this out:

http://www.pma-show.com/digital_cameras.html

Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:12 PM   #5

:? I too have been trying to decide on my new camera. Well, I ordered it yesterday! Yep, had to go with the Canon Powershot G6. Although, I was so tempted to go with the Sony DSC-V3. There is just not enough time (or money!) to try them all!

But check this out... http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong6/ These guys have done some serious in depth reviews on the 7 MP cameras. Maybe this will help you.

Let me know....

Fragalpuss
Fragalpuss is offline   Reply With Quote