Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 19, 2005, 4:12 PM   #1

Im traveling Europe this summer and would like to get an easy to use camera with a good amount of functions. The size isn't the problem, I just need a camera that has the best quality pictures. What are the cons for these 2 cameras? I hear the sd300 pictures give u redeyes a lot but its so handy. What do you guys suggest? Thanks in advance
cw_ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 4:19 PM   #2

or should i wait for the powershot sd400 to come out and maybe the price of the sd300 will go down? since im not leaving until summer anyways.. and the sd400 is set for release in April
Old Feb 19, 2005, 4:48 PM   #3

If size isn't an issue, I would get a compact (eg. Canon A95) rather than an ultra-compact (eg. Canon SD300). The compacts tend to have better pic quality (stronger flash, less red-eye, etc) and more features, especially manual shutter/aperature priority modes.

Panasonic announced a couple of killer compacts: Panasonic LC1 and LC2. We need to wait for reviews but the specs make those two stand WAY above the rest of the compacts: 6x zoom with image stabilization! You should keep an eye on these models...

On the ultra-compact front, the Canon SD300 and Pansonic FX7 are arguably the best ultra-compacts right now. I don't think you can go wrong wtih either of them (or the newer ones like Canon SD400/SD500)...

Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 4:55 PM   #4

wow.. thanks for the very informative reply. Got some quick questions... Is the a95 kind of out of date now? And what do u think about the canon powershot S400? Thanks