Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 19, 2005, 7:53 PM   #1

I currently have the Nikon N70 with the 24-120mm f3.5-5.6D Nikkor AF and the SB-80DX speedlight. It takes wonderful pictures too.

I am thinking of going digital and am debating over the Nikon 8800 or the Nikon D70. The 8800 has, from what I have read in these forums, focus and low-light issues. The D70 may have color saturation/contrast issues.

Since I already have a lens and speedlight that would work on the D70, I am leaning that way.

Any suggestions, comments, ideas?

Thanks,

abisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 9:59 PM   #2

MY brother in law has the D70 - and HAD a 8800. THere is no comparison. Where the D70 is quick and responsive, the 8800 is slow - slow shutter, slow to return to ready, slow shot to shot with a slow auto-focus. The zoom also has a pronounced "bounce: which Nikon is "working on". Read all the reviews and compare them - then you will stick with your stated intent to get the D70.

Then again there are other DSLR's that are equal or even better in the same price range - look at the Canon line.
xjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:50 PM   #3

There is no comparison between a DSLR and a prosumer, except when it comes to cost and size. In all other factors, the DSLR is way better. In particular, DSLRs are faster, better body (although some of the prosumers are ok too), far better low light performance, and can use interchangeable lenses.

The only reason I would see someone like you getting the prosumer is if you also plan to use your existing camera. In that case, getting a prosumer may be ok.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 9:22 AM   #4

Thanks for you replies.

Well, it became a no-brainer once I played with an 8800 and a D70. The D70 won by a landslide. I bought the D70 Outfit. Now I think I need to upgrade my SB80DX speedlight to the SB800.

abisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:23 PM   #5

I will consider Canon Pro1, Minolta A2, Olympus 8080 or Fuji S20 pro because of their lighter weight, well zoom range, and good(of couse not best) photo quality. But you may see there is a tendency the price margin between prosumer and basic DSLR is disappear, the quality classified is still. There is more dilemma to buy those cam.
:-)
zanwang is offline   Reply With Quote