Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 20, 2005, 4:09 AM   #1

I'm currently using a Canon Pro-90is, I generally like it,butget frustrated with how slow it is. I'm wanting to move to a digital SLR, and have been leaning toward the Nikon D-70 but am bewildered at the variety of packages and options. These cameras alone are at the limit, or perhapse even a bit beyond my current budget, and the aftermarket lenses I lust after are another $700+ so there's no way I'd be able to doany accessorizing for some time to come.My dream is a digitalequivilent of the old Nikon F2 I once owned. Somebody please point me in the right direction!:sad:
JDBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:48 AM   #2

You are not going to replicate the prosumers with a DSLR without spending some money... so I think if you are going for DSLR, you should buy one lens that you like and then get the others over time...

If you can't afford a mid-end DSLR, you can look at low-end DSLRs or perhaps one year old models... for example, how about Canon Digital Rebel 300D or the newly announced Canon 350D?
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:14 AM   #3

If your budget is tight i would concentrate on getting some good glass and getting the least expensive dslr. 300d or similiar.
the chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:06 AM   #4

I was afraid of that. A Unanimous "Buy the glass, and make due with a lesser camera", looks as if I had unrealistic expectations again. Guess the realsolution ishaving to wait and save untill I can either afford to spend more, or techknology advances and prices fall. I really, really, really, hate this answer, but thanks for putting it out there!

Oh well, maybe next year!

JDBraddy
Old Oct 11, 2006, 3:47 AM   #5

Ok Guys and Gals! Instead of a year, it's been almost two!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I never bought another camera, am still using the Canon Pro90-IS. Iused someone's Canon 20D this past weekend, and now I really want a DSLR, but still don't have any more disposable income than I did two years ago. I'm not an equipment junkie,anddon'thave to have the latest or greatest. I will likely end up using whatever I buy for years, so I do want to make the best choice I can.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Figured I better check in here before I go off half-cocked, and start bidding on used camera's on E-bay. Please help me choose great new camera, that I'llcome to love, not hate!:|

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Attached Images

Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:12 AM   #6
TDN

Well, give us some more info.

What is your budget, roughly?

What do you consider important about a camera? Does it have to be compact, or do you like a firm "chunky" grip?

Would you prefer to use manual focus lenses, or AF lenses?

Will you be shooting a lot of sports & fast action?

There are many cameras out there, and all of them suit slightly different needs. A simple "What camera should I buy" question doesnt have 1 answer...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:32 AM   #7

There are some pretty affordable DSLR's these days, even new, and some decent mid-range 3rd party lenses. Together they would totally eclipse your current camera, and the step up to better lenses (if needed or desired) next year, or two years from now, would be easier.

I think you could find a good standard zoom for $300-450. Your current Pro-90 lens would be about 24-240mm on a dslr, so you'd have to give something up if you only want one lens. Either give up aperture and critical performance with a superzoom lens, or give up the telephoto range (and get a second lens later).

It all comes down to your specifics though, budget needs and so on.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:31 PM   #8

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Well, give us some more info.

What is your budget, roughly?

What do you consider important about a camera? Does it have to be compact, or do you like a firm "chunky" grip?

Would you prefer to use manual focus lenses, or AF lenses?

Will you be shooting a lot of sports & fast action?

There are many cameras out there, and all of them suit slightly different needs. A simple "What camera should I buy" question doesnt have 1 answer...

TDN

Ok, It's gonna be hard to narrow it down, because to some extent, I do want the "One camera to do it all". I realize this means a lot of compromising, resulting in a camera that's not nessisarily "The Best" at anything! My camera's primary get used for weekend trips, family outings, and events. I'll use the camera one week at a state park, to take picures of wildlife, scenic views, and landscapes. The next week, I'll be taking snapshots at a kids birthday party, or a wedding, and maybe the week after that, I'll be trying to do something like widefield star images with the camera riding piggyback on my telescope. I'm a big ham-handed guy, so I like a big chunky grip, and large widely spaced controls. I want fast auto-focus with the option to easily turn it off, and focus manually. I probably over use magnification, I also do a lot of low-light and twilight imaging, so I.S. and manual shudder control is a definate plus for me. My budget is roughly just under to about a grand.

I know one camera can never be best suited for "all" of these things, and perhapse the answer is to have a big DSLR optimized to catchfat actionor set-up manually for specialtyshots or landscapes, and second camera that'scompact, auto everything,andbetter suited to point and click type shots. The point is, I don't spend muchtime reading product reviews andphotograpy books, so for the most part, I'm ignorant of my options, and was hoping some of the guru's here (Yes, many ofthe regulars herequalify as "Guru's" of this hobby, even if you don't think of yourselves as such!) could help me make better choices.

Old Oct 11, 2006, 2:12 PM   #9

I think this was a good suggestion:

Quote:
If you can't afford a mid-end DSLR, you can look at low-end DSLRs or perhaps one year old models
Perhaps the models which are a year or more old have changed by now.

Also, you are going to want to pay alot of attention to the lenses. What is available in your budget might have a big impact in that price range. Both Nikon and Olympus have very good kit lenses, which makes it possible to get most of what you want in your price range. The Pentax K100 D has in camera image stabilization, and if you really want stabilization, that's the most cost effective way to get it (opposed to buying costly stabilized lenses).

For many of these cameras, you might also be able to find good older lenses available used.

For newer lenses, for those which don't have good kit leneses available, look at some of the better Sigma lenses which are made specifically for digital cameras, particularly the brighter ones, starting with f2.8 (or in some f2.8 fixed). For your longer telephoto, however, in your price range you will likely have to accept a less bright lens. But you will still get good results from the some of the less expensive zooms outdooors with sunlight and stopped down to about f8. For example:

Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 $340.00
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/349/cat/10
Sigma 70-300 f4.5-5.6 $200.00
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/230/cat/31

Also keep in mind the focal length multiplier for each model, 1.5x for Pentax, Nikon or Sony, 1.6x for the Canon, and 2x for Olympus 4:3 cameras. Thus with a 1.5x factor, the 17-70 lens mentioned above covers an effective focal length range of 25.5-105.5mm.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 2:30 PM   #10

You could try the Pentax K100D - it might work for you. It has the advantage of the IS in the camera body and is less expensive than the Sony Alpha. However, it is also smaller so you might not like the feel of it. Best thing to do is go to a camera store and try one out. Up until recently the Pentax was a good buy because it takes all the old lenses (I use 25 year old manual lenses all the time), and you could find them easily and cheaply. That isn't as true any more, but good buys are out there if you look carefully.

Best thing to do is go to a camera store and handle all of the budget dSLR cameras. They all take good pictures and all would probably do what you want a camera to do. You should be able to find a nice camera with a lens or two for around a grand US (as an example, B&H had the K100D and kit lens for $600 recently, and the DA 50-200 is $229 with a $50 rebate that is expiring today - will be interesting to see if Pentax renews it). That would be a good start, and you can add lenses later as you see what your needs really are. Both Canon and Nikon have cameras in similar price ranges, though you'd have to upgrade to a more expensive lens to get the IS.

Whatever you do, make sure you handle the camera first - the K100D is a good buy but it might not be comfortable for you to use (I love mine, but I have small hands).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote