Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:30 PM   #1

With the new Lumix Dmc-FZ5 coming out, which one do you think is the better camera- the FZ5 or the older FZ20k. I'm trying to decide which oneto buy, the FZ20 or wait for the FZ5?

thanks
captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:44 PM   #2

Some features the 20 has are conspicuously missing on the 5.
greenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:55 PM   #3

Unless size is a factor and you don't want to wait for some practical experience, I would go with the FZ20.. For the simple reason that (personally) I never go for the newest, latest, and greatest right off of the factory floor.. I like to let other people find out what's wrong with it first. There are a lot of users out there, from amature to pro.. Take advantage of the knowlage base. The 20 has a track record and you can read all about the pros and cons over in the Panasonic forum..

Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:12 PM   #4

It's likely any actual improvements the 5 would get would be in firmware anyway, which also makes it likely that the 20 would get some in a firmware update. The hardware is missing a few things - if I recall correctly, a hotshoe, smaller slightly less quick at the telophot end optics, etc.

If the money isn't that different, I'm sure the 20 will remain the better choice.
greenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 9:27 AM   #5

Panasonic hasn't announced the new version of FZ20 so we have to wait before we can compare for sure.

As far as the FZ4 and FZ5 are concerned, these replace the FZ3 but the new ones seem worse. The lens is not fixed at f2.8 throughout zoom anymore it seems. If that is indeed the case, you are basically trading off superior lens (FZ3) for more megapixels and larger LCD size (FZ4/FZ5)...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote