Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 22, 2005, 8:00 AM   #1

Hi, I have been goin round in circles trying to choose a replacement from my trusty but extremely slow samsung v3. I was dead set on the sony w1/w12 but then read in depth user reviews saying that it can sometimes be complicated to get a clear image and i was also advised that canon's produce nicer colours than sony cams.

Bearing in mind I will only print out up to A4 size and maybe once in a blue moon A3 size I decided on choosing something from the ixus range becasue the smaller size is a big + and principally for the better colours. I gather the sd300 has a fair amount of purple fringing and blurring in courners but that with the sd200 it was a much smaller issue (as the small sensor had to deal with less megapixels) Therefore iam set on getting the sd200 this week. What i wanted to ask was:

1) is it stupid replacing a my 3mp samsung with another 3mp camera all bet it a canon (will i notice an improvement in image quality?)

2) I understand the sd200 can access long shutter speeds but does this mean i can choose exactly how long the shutter stays open (as long as its within the 15 seconds limit)

3) Would the w1 perform better for night photos in cities as i have heard it does.However i have also read that its has an aggressive anti-noise filter causing photos to loose detail)and have seen photos of a city bridge at night withthesd300 and w1 onmegapixel.netand the sd300 produced much nicer colours.

(http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/sony-w1/gfx/w1-ns.jpg

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/can...x/sd300-ns.jpg)

4) Finally should i wait for the sd400 as 3mp to 5mp upgrade seems pretty substantial.But the use of thesame 1.25 sensor surely mean worsequality images compared to the sd200.

THanks for answer any of these questions and hopefully i finally choose a camera!

roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:01 AM   #2

roots wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I have been goin round in circles trying to choose a replacement from my trusty but extremely slow samsung v3.

4) Finally should i wait for the sd400 as 3mp to 5mp upgrade seems pretty substantial. But the use of the same 1.25 sensor surely mean worse quality images compared to the sd200.

THanks for answer any of these questions and hopefully i finally choose a camera!
This isn't necassarily true. It could suffer in low light situations at higher ISOs but for full crop photos in normal situations it may give you an advantage over a 3mp camera.. Overall it's the way the firmware handles the task of recording the image.. I'm afraid I can't help you much with a choice as I know nothing about any of your choices.. I have read however, within these forums, that the Sonys are more expensive to support (memory sticks vs SD cards for example).. Something you may want to consider if that's an issue. Finally, no I don't think it's unwise to replace a 3mp with a 3mp.. You may get better software, better lenses, more refined features.. There are many other things to consider in that equation.

Good luck,
Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:15 PM   #3

If iam printing no bigger than a4 surely I will not notice any difference with the sd200 sd300 and sd400 (bearing in mind i dont crop the photo)

From what u say about the sd400 i should wait for the review as the quality might not be degraded even though it uses the same sensor
roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:45 PM   #4

That would be my suggestion with Any brand new camera. Even if it has a predecessor, a lot of changes can make it a completely different camera.. Escpecially going from 3-5 mp in the same sensor area.. At least wait for one of the pro reviews such as those on Steves.. He provides Lots of examples so you can see what the camera is capable of. It's my philosophy, if you can call it that, never to jump the green light.. Wait a few seconds for the rush to clear and then proceed.

But again, I'm not at all familiar with any of your choices.. If you are interested, I've owned 2 digicams. The Fuji DS300 I've had since mid-late 90s and the Panasonic FZ20 I just purchased little more than a month ago.. Those, are my actual experience.

A couple user reviews couldn't hurt either but most of them are usually limited to "love it" or "hate it" without stating specific reasons... Not all but most.

Good luck,
Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote