Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:59 PM   #1

Hi

i want to buy digital cam for good pics , i need bit professional like 300 d or 70 d,

i am confused what should i buy 300d, 20d, or 350 d, or 70 d?

plz guide me i need good fast slr camera for uotdoor, night, weddings, paties, land scape photography do 20 is bit expencive but if it good then i will buy it

an d1 thing is that once i use 300 d pics were good

and size was anout 1.5 mb

when i edit pic size was 250 kb so i wana to know if i print pic then will resulation good ur i should print without editing?

and i should buy big mega pixel for better result? or 300 d will give result wheni edit pic coz i print it on my lexmark printer 4800x 1200 dpi but result was really not good,

so plz give me any idea?

regards

azeemmir
azeemmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:42 PM   #2
Super Moderator

go to the store and try them out.. see which feels better to you.. you do not mention any budget...

for starters, i think you would be well suited with the canon 300d.. buy it body only and with the money you saved from not getting the 20d etc, buy a good lens..

i.e. Canon Ef-S 17-85 IS , Canon 28-135 IS, Sigma 24-70 F2.8

ENjoy, Dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 9:41 PM   #3

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
go to the store and try them out.. see which feels better to you.. you do not mention any budget...

for starters, i think you would be well suited with the canon 300d.. buy it body only and with the money you saved from not getting the 20d etc, buy a good lens..

i.e. Canon Ef-S 17-85 IS , Canon 28-135 IS, Sigma 24-70 F2.8

ENjoy, Dustin
Very good point. It is important not to cheap out and settle for a cheap lens when you want to take good photographs, especially of weddings like the original poster mentioned.
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:33 PM   #4

Wedding pics are quite important. 8 Megapixels may be the way to go since you will definitely want to enlarge some wedding photos and frame them and hang them up. But also, it allows room for cropping. If you go with Canon, go for the 20D or the XT when it comes out. But don't get the 18-55mm lens (kit). Get the 17-85mm lens instead. Or you may want to go for the 17-40mm 4.0L or a 70-200 4L if you want to do some portraits. Though the 17-85mm will be good for your purposes, landscapes, parties, outdoor and night shots.

I recommend the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT over the Nikon D70 because it has better resolution and will have better photo quality and colour reproduction. It will be faster too since it uses the DIGIC II processor. Start-up is phenomenal for getting some candid wedding/party shots. Essentially, you are getting a 20D, only slightly watered down, but just as potent. Although you may have to settle for the XT and not get the 20D because of your budget, do not settle for the kit glass for your purposes. :|
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 2:21 AM   #5

Hi

guys thanx for u rreplies,

i was thinking same thing first i wil check d 20 then i was thinking 300d coz 300 d is easily available here, in Amsterdam.

and i need some photos in bigger size , so i will try d20 i fi can get good price then 300 d is second priorty , i was also thinking nikon d70

but after ur openion i am conused and i heard that nikon d 70 was best camera of last year,

so if i have to choice between in d 70 or 300d which should i buy ?

regards

azeemmir
azeemmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:19 AM   #6

Last year the D70 was king, beating the 300D Rebel by a mile. Now the Canon 300XT has come out I reckon that it is the better choice. It will be in the shops in Europe at the end of March, so if you can wait I would buy that. As regards the 20D that is much more a semi professional camera but is streets ahead of any of the others in it's price range, The D100 Nikon is old and is due for replacement, while the D70 can do most that the D100 can do at a cheaper price anyway.Your requirements will dictate your choice of lens, but like the D70 the kit lens is perfectly adequate for everyday use. 1.5mb picture size? Something wrong here in the way you are either setting the camera or post processing. My picture files are up to 28mb at A4 size, and much bigger at A3.

As regards printing, you need to set the resolution at 300dpi to get a good quality print. I use the Canon i9950 which copes with up to A3 size, but it's smaller brother copes with up to A4 and is highly recommended too.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 1:09 PM   #7

I cant speak for the 300D or the 20D, but I can back the D70. I'll admit I dont understand a lot of the technical ends and outs as explained by Ponin, but this D70 I just cant imagine how I could have been anymore satisfied for what I spent. I did reject the kit lens for the Tamaron 28-75 2.8, which I use for just about everything I shoot, including Weddings. The color renditions from this camera is absolute pinpoint.

This shot was taken on location with one SB800 on wireless remote on the lowest resilution possible. No after shooting editing.
Attached Images

bugshutter is offline   Reply With Quote