Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 24, 2005, 2:17 PM   #1

I am torn between a Sony P200 or Canon SD500. The feature comparison leads me towards the Canon SD500 but I am scared by the pricing. The Sony is at a $350 or so price now and the Canon's list price is $499. I am guessing that the street price will be around $450.

Picture quality wise the Canon may have an edge if the Canon S70 is representative. The question is is it worth an extra $100 to get the camera I want or should I accept one nearly as good in the Sony?

Any comments regarding Sony vs. Canon and the expectation of street pricing would be helpful.

Thanks

windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2005, 3:00 AM   #2

I would go with the Sony P200 for sure since the specs are so similar yet the Sony will save you some money. Money that you can use for a larger memory stick. Sample pictures from users and in other forums show a really solid camera and the new white balance feature is really good and on par with the Cannon. Plus, the P200 has a newer and better color processor which improves over the P150 and the battery lasts a little longer because it uses less power per shot. The Cannon camera is smaller; however the Sony is slightly longer in width and has a groove for the index finger so it might be easier to grip than the other if you have large hands. From what I can see by reading this and other forums, most professional photographers are choosing the P200 as their pocket camera over anything else at the moment and most are satisfied with it. I just bought the P200 and have taken quite a few pictures with it and also am very impressed. I am not getting any blurry images and the white-balance works great. Also, the red-eye is the best I've seen in any camera this size. Since both of these camera's are small and have no anti-shake, you will need a tri-pod to keep the camera steady under low light conditions. I just use a separate flash. So again, I would choose the Sony and buy yourself a 512 memory stick pro as your memory. Dell is selling it at $340 at the moment and Best Buy has a discount on the Sony 512 memory. Good luck. -Kona
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:38 AM   #3

The competitor to the Sony P line is the Canon S line (eg. S70/S60/etc). The SD line is ultra-compact while the Canon S and Sony P line are slightly larger. If you don't care about size, the Sony P line and the Canon S line are better (in this case, the Sony P200 is likely much better than the SD500). For example, like most ultra-compacts, the SD500 doesn't offer any manual controls such as shutter/aperature priority modes. THe SD line is better if you care about size (ultra-compact) and stuff like that.

So the way I look at it... the Sony P200 is better than SD500 if you ignore size... obviously if you care about having something small then one might not even want to consider the Sony P line (it's too big for some people)... however, the real tough decision is whether to go with the Sony P line or the Canon S line...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 12:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the great information.

I missed the deal at Dell earlier this week. Now it is back up to $400 plus it is not shipping for 1-2 weeks. Of course I was sitting on the fence too long and now would love to find that deal again. Well I guess I can wait like I convinced myself to do.

There are many new cameras always coming out. I will seriously consider the SD500 but I hope the street price is not outrageous. Sony introduced the P200 at $100 less than the P150. I hope Canon sees the same competitive marketplace and cuts their price.

The Canon S70 is attractive with the wide angle zoom but it seems a little too big to carry everywhere for me. The smallish LCD is important to me with failing eyesight. I think 2 inch is the minimum.

windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 5:02 PM   #5

If you are going for an ultra-compact, I think a large LCD is best. Two inch is on the upper side but most ultra-compacts and some of the higher-end compacts are 2" now.

Now that you missed the deal, you might want to wait until Canon announces the successor to the S70. Don't know when they will but that may be worth it. Of course, Sony and Canon charge a lot more for the new models...
Old Feb 27, 2005, 1:14 AM   #6

sw2cam wrote:
Quote:
Makes no diff what cams I have now. I have had many brands and no way would I buy another Canon.
:?: Why?
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:43 AM   #7

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
sw2cam wrote:
Quote:
Makes no diff what cams I have now. I have had many brands and no way would I buy another Canon.
:? Why?

He had a bad run with some canons and now hes making sure everyone wont buy one, thing is plenty of brands get lemons, Im on my third canon digital, the first one an A10 purchased 6 years ago for some really expensive amount. It is now my teenagers camera, is treated rough and had never missed a beat, even though it is only a 1.3 megapixel it takes good photos, one placed first in a photo competition up against Dsrls:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote