Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 25, 2005, 1:29 PM   #11

Here is a photo of the XT with its battery grip.
Attached Images

Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 2:35 PM   #12

It's huge! :blah:
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 3:41 PM   #13

Ewok wrote:
Quote:
It's huge! :blah:
...but oh so gorgeous!
Old Feb 25, 2005, 4:48 PM   #14

Ponin,

I hear what you're saying. Sadly, I can't take a chance on getting the XT. I desperately need a quality camera for my job and budget deadline is the end of March. I'd have to preorder the XT and I'm reluctant to do that without the reviews.

It's a situation I'm not happy about. But maybe I should reconsider. Image quality is the most important thing and I would prefer 8MPs...

What to do...
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 4:52 PM   #15

fredbris:

Contrary to an earlier response, there are a number of Rebel XT reviews available now (2/25/05), and sample images.However, to find them, itis helpful to know that in the rest of the world, the Rebel XT is named Canon EOS 350D.

Can you provide some links, please?
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 6:13 PM   #16

Patton wrote:
Quote:
fredbris:

Contrary to an earlier response, there are a number of Rebel XT reviews available now (2/25/05), and sample images. However, to find them, it is helpful to know that in the rest of the world, the Rebel XT is named Canon EOS 350D.

Can you provide some links, please?
hands on preview
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos350d/
sample images
http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/?gal...s350d_preview/
I am sure there are more out there as well. . .
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 7:56 PM   #17

I have a friend who purchased the D70 at the same time as i got the 300D/rebel. Having been brave enough to let her do a camera swap for two days I am sooooo glad that I went with the canon. The D70 is a nice camera but for me it felt too small for an SLR, the LCD screen was small and the canon photo quality was heaps better. She loved my camera and of course now that Ive got a reasonable zoom lens she is even more impressed. Going on my experience with canon she has already told our canon supplier that she wants the first Rebel XT that is shiped and will be selling the D70.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 8:03 PM   #18

master wrote:
Quote:
assuming I have no previous equipments and time is not a factor.
The Nikon D70 wasa better camera than the 300D IMO, although I bought a 300D when it came out and never owned / tested a D70 myself. But that came at a greater price, and a later date. Another way of looking at this is that it took Canon a very long time to respond -- first with the 20D, which was too expensive for the entry point, and now, finally, with the 350D.

So Nikon's already had a success. To maintain that for the future, they should release an entry-level 8MP camera. This is not law, nor entirely rational, but it is common sense. So another way of looking at this question is, do you like what Nikon's been doing? Do you wish to benefit from that in the previous generation aka D70, or wait for the next one? (D80 could be a nice name for 8MP..) Alterantively, do you like what Canon's been doing better? Do you like the option of a full frame camera in the future (at a much higher price)?

Again, I have not used the Nikon myself, but I have heard some good things about its entry-level zoom lenses, which I think are better received than the Canon's kit lenses, though again at a cost. This is a non-trivial issue. While it is tempting to just look at the body, it is more correct to look at both parts. It's not as if you can use the camera without lenses and ignore the matter -- it will matter, and soon, and cost is an object. So my suggestion here is to price, compare, and handlethe entry level lenses of the Canon and Nikon -- these are not likely to change in the short term either. If you find that the Nikon's entry lens is a good one, as I believe, then you might find that that purchase is a better one, at a slightly higher price, than the Canon with the entry kit lens. Another comparison needs to be made for the next jump up in the Canon line, etc.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 8:11 PM   #19

Patton wrote:
Quote:
Ponin,

I hear what you're saying. Sadly, I can't take a chance on getting the XT. I desperately need a quality camera for my job and budget deadline is the end of March. I'd have to preorder the XT and I'm reluctant to do that without the reviews.

It's a situation I'm not happy about. But maybe I should reconsider. Image quality is the most important thing and I would prefer 8MPs...

What to do...
I understand. You are afraid of the XT selling out too fast upon its debut, hence you need to preorder now. I place all my faith behind Canon. I have trusted Canon for over 15 years and I trust Canon now. Canon must have done something spectacular to earn my trust and faith, and it has. Spectacular image quality. Hands down. Proven track record. Most of the technology has already proven its strength, DIGIC II processor in the 20D, and professional 1D MarkII and 1Ds MarkII. The 4th APS-C sensor, although not proven yet, can be trusted because it was built off the same technology from the 20D, they are not the same chip, but made in similar ways. This probably falls under Canon proprietary information, but I would guess that Canon used the same machinery and technology to build the APS-C as the 20D, just made it 0.2mm shorter.

Phil Askey got his hands on one of the pre-production XT and reviewed it already, though he can only call it a preview because the XT has not been officially released by Canon. It looks fantastic. Canon has also released sample photos:

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eosdigit..._sample-e.html

I have used the Canon site as a source of samples for a few different Canon cameras before buying it and the sample images do not lie. If you see the high-quality shots on the site, provided that you follow instructions correctly, set and compose properly, and have many of the right lighting conditions, you will get the same high-quality results.

I would trust Canon blindly, but I am not expecting you too. From what I have shown you, there is plenty of evidence that shows Canon has high image quality. Of course, both the D70 and the XT have good quality, but IMHO, Canon is far superior, hands down.

Can you clarify more about your work situation? Maybe we can offer some more advice for you to consider. Two options: (both involve pre-ordering an XT).

A) Pre-order the XT, wait until it arrives, try it out, love it and keep it for work.
B) Pre-order the XT, wait until about March 18th, or 19th, buy a D70, try it out, wait until the XT comes out, fall in love with the XT and then return the D70. (Make sure the store which you buy it from has a satisfaction guarantee. And buy the XT from a different store too.)

Goodluck Patton. I have faith in you that you will make the best decision for you.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 9:16 PM   #20

BTW Patton, if you end up deciding on the XT, don't get the regular 18-55mm kit lens, but get the 17-85mm lens. They are more expensive, but you need them for your work.

Will it be for stock work, product shots/samples, portrait, social activities?

If any one of these is the case, the 17-85mm will work perfectly for you. Check Tony's thread or Peripatetic's for more info.