Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 24, 2005, 11:13 PM   #1

assuming I have no previous equipments and time is not a factor.
master is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2005, 11:29 PM   #2
KSV

Unless strong biasing toward Canon I can not see reason why do not get Nikon - it is fastest camera in the class
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 12:56 AM   #3

May I refer you to my post in the Nikon DSLR forum under "Where is the D200"?. I think this will provide the answer, at least from my point of view.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 12:56 AM   #4

Personally, I would wait. I know I am...
Old Feb 25, 2005, 3:23 AM   #5

wait
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 3:36 AM   #6
TC3

After 15 years of lugging 35mm slr equipment around i got fed up with the bulk and size.....for me the XT would be the choice

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 9:04 AM   #7

Master,

I'm in the same dilemma, but sadly time is a factor. If only the Rebel XT had come out last month, there'd be reviews by now and my decision would be easier.

I need a camera and have narrowed it down to the same two, but since I need to make a decision by the end of March, I have no choice but to go withthe D70 - but that's just fine. The biggest appeal factor with the XT is the 8MPs - I need to run the pics at 300 dpi. Were the D70 8MPs, I wouldn't worry about the D70.

IMHO - and humble and amateur it is - I can't take a chance to see if the Xt will equal or surpass the D70. As far as I've discovered and learned, the D70 is a better camera than the Rebel 300. Given that, it's safe to assume Canon will have improved things...

One thing I am certain of is that I like the feel of the D70 better. Canon is not changing the body, as far as I know, besides making it smaller, so it will still have that cheap, plastic feel. Not a big deal, I guess, just a personal preference.

Since you've got the time, I'd wait. These were really the only two cameras in the race for me and I wish I had your luxury. Please let me/us know what you do and what you eventually get.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:02 AM   #8

KSV wrote:
Quote:
Unless strong biasing toward Canon I can not see reason why do not get Nikon - it is fastest camera in the class
Without any bias towards Canon, I would choose Canon anyway simply because of better image quality.

The D70 is not the fasted camera in its class, but the XT is. The XT starts up in 0.2s, uses USB 2.0, has the new Digic II processor found in the professional DSLRs from Canon for high-speed processing, and it has 3fps (same as D70). Focussing and write-speed are supposed to be very fast.

I own no lenses for Canon, and yet I would still choose Canon. If I were given a Nikon D70, I would sell it and buy a Canon. Even the image quality of the 300D is better than the D70. With the new improvements on the XT, it would be even easier for me to choose the XT.

In response to the original poster, it is better to wait for the arrival of the XT. It is a camera that meets or exceeds the D70 in speed, but most importantly, its image quality is far superior. Isn't image quality what it's ultimately all about?
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:35 AM   #9

Contrary to an earlier response, there are a number of Rebel XT reviews available now (2/25/05), and sample images.However, to find them, itis helpful to know that in the rest of the world, the Rebel XT is named Canon EOS 350D.
fredrbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 12:23 PM   #10

Patton wrote:
Quote:
IMHO - and humble and amateur it is - I can't take a chance to see if the Xt will equal or surpass the D70. As far as I've discovered and learned, the D70 is a better camera than the Rebel 300. Given that, it's safe to assume Canon will have improved things...
Have faith. I truly believe that the XT surpasses the D70.
Even the 300D I truly believe surpasses the D70 in image quality alone. You won't be taking any chances with Canon. Canon has never let me down.

The XT will be released March 20th. Hold out until at least the 25th before settling on the D70. www.dpreview.com has a nice preview of the XT. The sample images from the Canon site already have me sold. Besides, I find the XT far more aesthetically pleasing than the D70. That red triangle really bothers me. It reminds me of a 'cheapness or fakeness' marker. For example, real guns are solid black. Fake airsoft guns have a red ring on the front to indicate that it is not real. Sure, there is nothing a piece of black utility tape won't do, but why should you need it in the first place to cover up an intentional red mark by the manufacturer?
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote