Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 25, 2005, 3:46 PM   #1

Hi! I'm new here, so first to introduce myself... My name is Zoltan, I'm from pula-croatia and I'm a webdesigner with interests in photography.

Well, here's my threelema :?... I'm buying a new camera and I have narrowed the selection to three cameras... Canon Pro1, Olympus C8080WZ and Sony F828.

My favorite is sony, but i'm afraid that I'm misguded dueto his attractive design (at least attractive for me :? ). Browsing through reviews I understand that 8080 has best image quality, but I don't like the fact that it has only 4x zoom which is not enough for me. Pro1 and F828 are quite equal, pros and cons are quite balanced.

What about Sonys barrel distortion and chromatic abberation? Is it really bad or not? I saw the reviews, but I would appretiate a sugestion from the first hand.

Thanks a LOT!!!
23-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2005, 3:08 PM   #2

Have you considered the new KM DImage Z5 or the Panasonic Lumix FZ5 units at all?
xjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:19 AM   #3

xjay1 wrote:
Quote:
Have you considered the new KM DImage Z5 or the Panasonic Lumix FZ5 units at all?
These can't compete against the high-end prosumers... maybe the Panasonic FZ20 but even then, it will likely have high noise...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:35 AM   #4

The high-end prosumers have many flaws and I would wait if I were to pay that much for them. The Olympus 8080 seems to be the best of the bunch but you don't like its zoom. Have you looked at Nikon 8800 (which has image stabilization)? There is also the Konica Minolta A200 but that seems to have some focus issues.

I would really wait until the 2005 high-end prosumers are released before I pick one. In particular, I wonder if Canon will release an updated version of the Pro1??
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 5:32 AM   #5

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
xjay1 wrote:
Quote:
These can't compete against the high-end prosumers... maybe the Panasonic FZ20 but even then, it will likely have high noise...

I've came to the same conclusion. And the thing is that my priority is not huge zoom, but wide angle (28-200). I'm aiming to the high-end prosumer camera and IMHO KM Z5 just doesn't fit in this class. If Panasonic would have a wide angle lens it would be definitly my final choice, but just 36mm it's not enough for me.

Quote:
Have you looked at Nikon 8800 (which has image stabilization)? There is also the Konica Minolta A200 but that seems to have some focus issues.

With Nikon8800 I have the same issue as with PanasonicLumix; there is no wide angle. And Nikon is too expensive compared to those three I was thinking about.

Yesterday I compared Minolta A2 and A200 with SonyF828 and CanonPro1, and really has focus issues like Canon (although I read somewhere that there is a firmware for Canon that repairs the AF problem with Pro1), and also has some noise issues.

Quote:
I would really wait until the 2005 high-end prosumers are released before I pick one. In particular, I wonder if Canon will release an updated version of the Pro1??

I CAN'T WAIT ANYMORE!!! :G:G:G

If I wait for new models I believe that they will be more expensive than current ones, and these ones at the moment are the top for my current financial capabilites, so if there comes out a new Pro1 or maybe a Sony939 I believe that I would have to wait for at least 3 or 4 months for the price to come down.

In this two days, since opening this thread I've comed decided to take Sony (I hope I won't regret it :-) ). Sony has some barrel distorsion and there is CA also, but hey, there is Photoshop . Other than this two issuesI couldn't find anything else that will say to me not to buy it (I was on the Sony forum and I browsed all 828 threads in past year and every owner of the 828 is more than just satisfied with the ''black monster'' :-) )

Anyway, THANKS guys, A LOT!!!

:|
23-D is offline   Reply With Quote