Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 26, 2005, 11:51 AM   #1

I have read that the CT1 can 'fry' the electronics in a D70. Or is this just one of those clever marketing ploys to get me to fork out an horrendous amount for a SB6/800?
sandworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2005, 12:42 PM   #2

Not sure about the CT1, but read this. It comments on the hot shoe and a Mecablitz adaptor.

http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron...hlung.142.html

Also I copied this from the same site:-

Can mecablitz flash units also be used with digital cameras?

Metz flash units can also be used with digital cameras. These cameras can be subdivided into three groups according to the type of flash connection they feature. Group 1: Cameras without accessory shoe, but with built-in flash. Group 2: Cameras with sync contact (X-contact or hot shoe). Group 3: Cameras with hot shoe and special flash functions.

Group 1: Cameras without accessory shoe can still be operated with a flashgun featuring a slave trigger unit and automatic flash mode. "Metz mecablitz 34-CS-2 digital" is such a flash unit as it has an integrated slave unit. Furthermore, the SCA-3083 digital slave adapter can be used with all flash units that are compatible with the SCA 3002 system. It is only necessary to select the given slave function "WITH" or "WITHOUT" pre-flash suppression.

Group 2: All current Metz mecablitz flash units with sync cable connection or standard foot can be used with digital cameras featuring an X-contact or hot shoe. Here, too, the flash unit should permit the automatic flash mode.

Group 3: Cameras with special "dedicated" flash functions, such as TTL flash control, require a flash unit with an SCA adapter system or with a corresponding camera connection so that the additional special functions can be used. Normally, these cameras can also be used in conjunction with Metz flash units with a standard foot and in automatic flash mode, except that in this instance the special flash functions can no longer be used.

Seems to me that you have no problem but you can also contact them from the same site to reassure yourself

cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 12:46 PM   #3

And then regretfully I went on to read further and found this, which says definitively that the CT1may fry your D70 depending on the serial number.

Can the mecablitz 45 CT 1 also be used with the new autofocus cameras?

Regretfully, the Metz mecablitz 45-CT 1 does not yet have the connecting capabilities of the Metz SCA adapter system. Consequently, no corresponding adapter is available for combination with autofocus cameras. The Metz mecablitz 45-CT 1 can therefore only be connected to such cameras with a standard synchronising cable.

Furthermore, it is necessary to note that Metz mecablitz 45-CT 1 units featuring a model number that is smaller than 534 000 are fitted with a so-called high-voltage ignition circuit. These flash units must not be directly connected to modern cameras as this could even damage the camera!

All other flash units of the Metz mecablitz 45 CT and 45 CL series feature a low-voltage ignition circuit in keeping with the current standard.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 5:47 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. I checked the number on my flash and it is less than the quoted number. I will be putting the gun on Ebay today. I really don't want to risk it!!!! Thanks again.
sandworm is offline   Reply With Quote