Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 27, 2005, 8:58 AM   #1

Want to move up to digital slr from my current point and shoot Minolta Dimage F100. Most of my shots are landscapes and wildlife. I would like a small camera because I will be hiking or biking with it in the mountains. So far the smallest I have found is the Pentax 1st DS but noticed Canon has the new Digital Rebel XT which will be available soon.

Advice is appreciated.

//jim
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2005, 4:57 PM   #2

killdeer0007 wrote:
Quote:
Want to move up to digital slr from my current point and shoot Minolta Dimage F100. Most of my shots are landscapes and wildlife. I would like a small camera because I will be hiking or biking with it in the mountains. So far the smallest I have found is the Pentax 1st DS but noticed Canon has the new Digital Rebel XT which will be available soon.

Advice is appreciated.

//jim
Buy the XT, it is the smallest in its class, and it also has superior performance, and high image quality. I will be buying the XT or the 20D. I plan on doing some landscape shots and wildlife shots just like you.
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 5:14 PM   #3

Ponin wrote:
Quote:
killdeer0007 wrote:
Quote:

Advice is appreciated.

//jim
Buy the XT, it is the smallest in its class, and it also has superior performance, and high image quality. I will be buying the XT or the 20D. I plan on doing some landscape shots and wildlife shots just like you.

superior performance?.... you meantheXT hasbeen reviewed and the review shows this? Or you have both and was able to compare them?
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 5:31 PM   #4
KSV

To Ponin.

FYI - XT just get to size of *istDS, but still couple of mil bigger. Yes, it is lighter for couple of grams, but sorry it is full plastic versus stainless still frame in *istDS. Or probably you believe that *istDS in lower class that XT? I would stick to Pentax just because I can put on this camera virtually any Pentax lens, and some of them having excellent image quality cost close to nothing.
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 5:40 PM   #5

EEK, my bad...... Apparently ima littlechallengedor have been up in the thin air of the mountains a little to long which has caused some sort of brain damage.... I didn't happen to see that pretty well every site has a preview of the XT.

Please forgive me..... now were's my oxygen tank.:?
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 6:07 PM   #6

KSV wrote:
Quote:
To Ponin.

FYI - XT just get to size of *istDS, but still couple of mil bigger. Yes, it is lighter for couple of grams, but sorry it is full plastic versus stainless still frame in *istDS. Or probably you believe that *istDS in lower class that XT? I would stick to Pentax just because I can put on this camera virtually any Pentax lens, and some of them having excellent image quality cost close to nothing.
The XT and *istDS are both roughly the same volume, dimensions are very similar as well, to the point that the size difference between them is negligible. The XT is lighter, which may be kinda important when hiking or biking for longer periods, every little bit counts. I don't see the importance of having a stainless steel frame? Do you plan on photographing riots, or going into a warzone and risk damage to your equipment? Do you plan on treating your equipment like crap?

Canon's lenses are superior to Pentax's. Image quality for Canon is better than Pentax. Sure, pay some price and get okay quality from Pentax, pay a little more and get better quality from Canon. Besides, both cameras will be about the same price. I would go for a Canon hands down. Whether that Canon will be an XT or a 20D, only time will tell. After many years of fine optics and high image quality, I will continue to trust Canon.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 6:15 PM   #7

While I am personally a big Canon fan, Herbert Kepplerer of Pop Photo.. (among other things) seems to love his pentax gear. Everyone will give you a different opinion.

I recommend that you wait until you can get your hands on the two cameras side by side and see which one you like better. From a performance standpoint, I think most anyone will be happy with both!

David
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 6:39 PM   #8
KSV

To Ponin.

Stainless still frame has absolutely nothing to do with using camera as a hummer. Tolerance and longevity of metal construction is not comparable in any way with cheap plastic - I will not be convinced does not matter how hard manufactures trying. The same applicable for "glass v plastic" in lenses. This is why all proper equipment is made from metal - aka 20D for example to witch *istDS is much closer than to 300D. Whats about lenses - do you ever hear about Pentax 31 mm?

Canon under no means producebad equipment - I have some Canon gear as well - but so does Pentax.And choice usually made based on personal preference; if you like Canon - enjoy it. But saying such a nonsense as "superior performance" meaning that Pentax is c**p is not really right. And by the way Nokon D70 is real killer in performance department. And also if you are value each gram in your bike trips, why you have not get *istDS - almost 1/2 year on the market? Or even *istD - more than a year? LOL here.
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 7:47 PM   #9

KSV wrote:
Quote:
To Ponin.

Stainless still frame has absolutely nothing to do with using camera as a hummer. Tolerance and longevity of metal construction is not comparable in any way with cheap plastic - I will not be convinced does not matter how hard manufactures trying. The same applicable for "glass v plastic" in lenses. This is why all proper equipment is made from metal - aka 20D for example to witch *istDS is much closer than to 300D. Whats about lenses - do you ever hear about Pentax 31 mm?

Canon under no means produce bad equipment - I have some Canon gear as well - but so does Pentax. And choice usually made based on personal preference; if you like Canon - enjoy it. But saying such a nonsense as "superior performance" meaning that Pentax is c**p is not really right. And by the way Nokon D70 is real killer in performance department. And also if you are value each gram in your bike trips, why you have not get *istDS - almost 1/2 year on the market? Or even *istD - more than a year? LOL here.
Cheap steel rusts. Plastic doesn't. Plastic is more shock absorbant than cheap steel. Cheap steel conducts electricity better than plastic... damaging electricity.

Certainly plastic will more than likely break when struck hard enough compared to steel, but that requires a lot of force.

Superior does not mean one is crap and another is not.
Pentax can be at any level, good, bad, great, spectacular, the other when compared with 'superior' is just better.
Canon is superior to Pentax. Canon is trusted by the most professionals, there is a reason why, Canon is better.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 7:47 PM   #10

And no, Pentax is not crap.

'crap' is not considered derogatory in English.