Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 1, 2005, 2:26 PM   #11

P.S. I have not experienced the jerky play today. I downloaded a half dozen other video clips today from sites other than Steve's (both .mov and .avi) and tried switching from one format to the other but the jerkiness did not happen. It remains to be seen whether this idiosyncrasy is related to the source of the downloads or some other variable.
ArchP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:20 PM   #12

ArchP

I do not own an E550 but I do own an S7000, the video capability of both of these cameras is about equal (same chip, different hardware and firmware). The video quality is magnificent, but file sizes are large. The E550 has only one drawback, it may have difficulty focusing in low light (as do many digicams). This camera has all of the advantages of the A series Canon cameras with the bonus of much better video and high quality (interpolated) 12MP stills. There is full manual control of exposure as well.

The main reason I chose the S7000 over this camera is the ability to use external flash for event photography such as weddings, and its slightly longer optical zoom range.The E550 has almost all of the features of my S700 exceptFuji has improved many aspects of this particular imaging chip in the E550 such as offering lower ISO settings (my S7000 starts at 200 which is a little noisy compared with the 64 ISO of the E550). This is a consumer priced camera which has performance worthy of pro class cameras (its continuous fire modes are almost a match for a Digital Rebel).

There are many good cameras out there which will produce the video you want but the E550 is probably the best bargain.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:26 AM   #13

From what I have seen and heard, the E550 is indeed a great bargain. If I weren't such a super zoom enthusiast, I would have bought it.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 8:52 AM   #14

Welcome Fellow Newfoundlander,

I'm here in Bishop's Falls. Did you purchase your E550 in Newfoundland?

Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:42 AM   #15

robbo wrote:
Quote:
1. Get more RAM - if possible another stick of 256 Megs. It shouldn't be that expensive. I like the stuff that crucial sells - http://www.crucial.com

2. Defragment your hard drive. It's easy on XP. Not so hard on previous OS's, either.

Bingo.
montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:58 PM   #16

Thanks for the reply. Yes, defragmenting the existing drive has seemed to all but eliminate the jerky play on my computer, even in clips that I saved from several days ago. I believe that I forgot to redo the defragmenting processthe first time after freeing up some space on the hard drive. To get back to the digital camera scene, and my planned prospective purchase (of a Fuji E-550), I have beome very luke warm aboutthe whole thingsince. This camera is not cheap at $500 (Can). Add to that the cost of a necessarily large memory card for videos and you'reapproaching or surpassing$700 with taxes. And is this good value? Reviews indicate that The 12 mb interpolation on the E-550 is probablymore ofa sales gimmick than anything else. I'm sure that I don't want to spoil $1000 of my money on a camera that produces noisy images and can't even focus in dim light! But the problem is more general than with Fuji. I have my doubts ifEITHER ONEof those hundreds of point and shoot cameras out there- even at a cost of$500 plus is really a great camera (with no serious drawbacks) and is also a great value.Am I expecting too much for my money? Does anyone disagree with me?Will the product be better in another year or so?
Old Mar 8, 2005, 3:40 AM   #17

Dear ArchP,

I don't have the E550, so I can't say exactly how good its images are. Some questions first, though.

Can Canadians buy cameras from US online vendors? I am assuming yes. If you can, do you have to pay huge duties or taxes when they arrive?

From what I have seen of E550 images, they are very good for a camera in that price range. I know that its 12 megapixel pics are not really 12 meg pics, but I think the 12 meg fine setting pics are the equivalent in detail to some of the pics from 8 megapixel cameras. Go to Steve's review of the E550 to check for yourself. Look at the picture of the schoolhouse/hospital (brick building).

You can get 512 meg xD cards from www.buydig.com for US $70 shipped (they do ship to Canada).

If you want to use the E550 as primarily a video camera, you will probably be disappointed. You should get a digital camera instead. But from what I have seen, it's an outstanding camera for its class. I think its low ISO pictures are better than those of the S7000, which I very much enjoyed using for more than a year.

You yourself have to be the judge of what is enough for you. If I were going to buy another camera however, and had 300 bucks American, the E550 would be at the top of my list.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:05 AM   #18

Hi again Robbo,

Thanks againfor your comments. Ingeneral, I have found thatI save a ton of money by finding theitemI wantat a largeretailer in Canada, such as Walmart. Thegreatest expense that I have had in the past when ordering items from the U.S. isin shipping fees. The company that is shippingoften greatly underestimates the cost, probably basing the cost onshipping toToronto or Montreal. I am in Newfoundland whichis one of the more remote areas. I understand that FedEx rates are also high. I know they have a scale of rates depending on how fast you want it shipped, and, if you don't specifythey may choosea rate at ornear the top.Also, of course,Canada Customs never rushes its work, anyway. I can recall a few years ago ordering a $250 item that ended up costing$450 extra including all the UPS charges. I believe that includedbrokerage fees and specialadditional courier charges to the town where I live, whichis outside the mainl UPS area. Of course, there's always the exchange rate, which at around 20% is lower this year than it has beenfor a long time. I have found that some small items like cd's and books can be shipped hereatlow postal rates, otherwise ittends to bedifficult to avoid the high-cost couriers. Maybe someone out there in Canada has actuallyreceived a camera from the U.S. at low cost and can relatecurrent information to us.

Most of my conclusions on theproblems with theFuji Finepix E550 came from this site:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...x_e550-review/

Besides the camera, it is so annoying about all the different memory card formats. As someone has said, it's as though there were 30 mm, 31 mm, 32 mm, 33 mm, 34 mm and 35 mm cameras.Worst thing is that with Sony, Fuji, and others, you are stuck with the one type, and have to pay a lot more.There are even differentstandards within each format, e.g. different speeds, and, with Sony you have to get a special higher priced Memory Stick Pro to record VHS movie clips. I find all this extremely objectionable. I already have a 128 mb SD card that I won't be able to use.

It seems that memory card prices have bascially halved in price the last year or so. I hope that trend continues. Prices for higher priced digital cameras have fallen even faster by my observations. Hopefully that trend will continue as well. Like Canada customs I don't plan to be rushed (in makingmy next camerapurchase).

Regards,

ArchP

P.S. I like thecapabilities of the new Casio Exilim EX-P505 listed on this page:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...il.php?cam=675

Old Mar 9, 2005, 3:23 AM   #19

Arch,

Good luck with whatever you decide. If you change your mind and decide on a trip to NY, you might get a good deal at

B&H Photo
420 Ninth Avenue
New York, NY 10001, USA

The camera you mentioned at the end of your post looked interesting. There will, I am sure, be many other good prospects coming out in the next 6 months.

Good luck!
Old Mar 9, 2005, 9:23 AM   #20

Thanks. Wish that money was more plentiful. Oh well, at least when the money is scarce one tends to spend it more carefully.