Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 2, 2005, 5:37 AM   #11

Big pockets, yes! It is thicker than the P150, and an anorak pocket would swallow it no problem, but not a normal trouser pocket. Go have a look!
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 9:03 AM   #12

guess so, thanks!:|
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 2:17 PM   #13

Pic_guy.

Can you please give your assessment of the quality of P200 pics? I am having second thoughts about S70, as there are several rants on dpreview users forum about it's low light performance drop. I may be interested in getting a P200, if image quality is good( outdoors, indoors, macro).
Old Mar 4, 2005, 4:07 PM   #14

Keep in mind my only good reference point is to compare it to the Canon 300D (aka Digital Rebel) which is really comparing apples and oranges. It does a very good job regarding picture quality. They are not as vibrant as the 300D but they are better than I expected. I suspect if the P200 optics were as good as the lenses I have for the Rebel they would be closer in quality.

The only real fault I have with the Sony is it needs a wider angle lens. Personally I don't see why they don't offer a 28mm wide end and cut the zoom down to 2X. This would make the camera just about perfect, IMO. I also suspect that the average person wouldn't see a big difference in picture quality between P200 and Digital Rebel pictures.

I also haven't had any trouble shooting in low light conditions. The flash could be stronger but I don't expect too much from such a small camera. The red LED that illuminates the subject for focusing in low light is excellent though. Overall, the flash and low light performance hasn't disappointed me at all. I also have had no problems with blurry pictures that some have had with the P150.

What sold me on the P200 is the size, speed and 7.2 mp capability. Aside from the wide angle end of the lens I mentioned earlier it has met, or surpassed, all my expectations.
PicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 8:32 PM   #15

thanks, I think I can pass up the 28mm of S70, for better alround performance and peace of mind and of cource better vidio of P200. I already have FZ20 for more exacting things. What say?

Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:45 PM   #16

I don't think you will be unhappy with it. I also don't think you would be unhappy with the S70. The P200 is small enough that you'll find yourself taking it just about everywhere you go. It easily fits in my pant or jacket pocket taking about the same space as my cell phone. I find myself getting great shots just because I carry the camera most of the time.

Another good thing about the P200 is the battery life. I can carry it for over two weeks and still have a half full battery. That combined with a 1 gig memory stick really makes it nearly hassle free.
PicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 2:10 AM   #17

Here I agree with picguy; the P150/200 is really portable, but again for most purposes I question whether the p200 is necessary over the P150. I have an A3 printer which I use in conjunction with my my Nikon D70, like picguy has a Rebel. Not many people ever use A3 printing, confining what they do print to 7x5 or perhaps A4, so in this case the P150 will do the job just as well as the P200.

I think the trouble is that you are getting sucked in by reading too much. Both picguy and I agree that a 28mm lens makes a darn sight more sense than the 38mm of the Sony, and is incredibly useful. If you have never used one you can't understand, but in the DSLR range I couldn't operate without my 17/55 lens. The wide angle is so creative and useful. As regards the video, are you going to take that much and is the difference in quality that great? I don't know because if I wanted a video camera I would have bought one, but I bought my cameras for still purposes. Whatever, a still camera is for photos with the video feature a secondary matter, not the other way round.

I still stand by my choice, given the requirements stated, of the S60. The P150 has given me a lot of problems when flash is required - low light - with blurred photos, and this apparently is quite well known with this range of cameras including the P200 I guess. In it's favour it is very portable, but the S60 isn't much bigger and has the extra features of manual override should you wish to push the envelope further than point and press. I know I wish I had bought it instead of my P150, purely because you get a lot more camera for your money
Old Mar 5, 2005, 8:42 AM   #18

cameranserai wrote:
Quote:
I think the trouble is that you are getting sucked in by reading too much. Both picguy and I agree that a 28mm lens makes a darn sight more sense than the 38mm of the Sony, and is incredibly useful. If you have never used one you can't understand, but in the DSLR range I couldn't operate without my 17/55 lens. The wide angle is so creative and useful. As regards the video, are you going to take that much and is the difference in quality that great? I don't know because if I wanted a video camera I would have bought one, but I bought my cameras for still purposes. Whatever, a still camera is for photos with the video feature a secondary matter, not the other way round.

I still stand by my choice, given the requirements stated, of the S60.
I agree with you, Cameranserai.

Wise, you already have the FZ-20, which isa zoomcamera.Getting aS60 or S70 would get you into the the wide-angle range and would complement your FZ-20. I was thinking along those lines.

As for the form-factor of the cameras and their portability, I'm not too sure. Have you seen/held the cameras in person?

Ofcourse, you could always wait for something better.

:|
shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 3:14 PM   #19

Thank you all for your inputs?

I am no enemy of 28mm, in fact I was almost sold on to S70, till I saw a lot many complaints about it's low light focussing problems.

And yes , I too want my camera to do quality stills , and then if it does good vidio too, it is a bonus. After all a poratable camera is supposed to be carried anywhere, which we can't do with vidio cameras, as they are bulky.

To cut a long story short, How is your experience of S70's low light focussing? And yes I may seem to be a victim of reading too much. That's because all the time I could get only the views of people who have used any one camera, not both. And I don't believe the experts most of the time because their assessments are based on the cameras available on the date. A camera which is smash hit now may lose it's shhen to some other model later .

Sorry for this long winded explanation. I really would like to have a opinion of a person who has used both the cameras. Pity, the reviewers never tell as to how certain cameras stack up against each other.

So Cameranserai, how's your experience of low light focussing of S70? Thanks in adavnce.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 3:30 PM   #20

I have used a S70 just a little bit, and find it in every way superior to my P150 of which I have extensive use knowledge. I did not find a problem with low light focusing, and I did try it in a shop once not long back when I was considering buying it and selling the P150. The other time was outdoors whenI tried someone elses's camera and there was no problem at all.My advice to you is to go and try one in a shop and look at the low light focusing yourself. There won't be a better environment!

I also query why you are looking only at the S70 and not the S60. If you aren't going to do A3 size prints the extra pixels are completely superfluous. Everybody seems to think that more pixels = better photos but in many cameras it is the opposite, with the phenomen known as "purple fringing" appearing caused by too many pixels. Up to A4 the S60 will be just as good, has the same facilities as the S70, and will keep good money in your pocket. It's like people keep comparing memory cards and writing times. How many people need to shoot at 8 frames per second I ask you?

I do print at A3 here with the Canon i9950, but then I also use a Nikon D70 for that, not the Sony. In fact I am just as guilty and in retrospect should have got the P100 instead of the P150, and as for the P200 well, we are talking overkill for normal photography. I plead not guilty because I had had my Olympus 5060 stolen and needed a camera in a hurry!