Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:24 AM   #1

Which camera to go for. Canon has 4X zoom against sony's 3X. Sony has better vidio than Canon. Canon has more manual controls(although that is not essential but nice to have).

Will any users enlighten please?
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2005, 9:21 PM   #2

I'mthinking about theS70 myself. But I'mnot an expert. Maybe when the prices drop.

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/?gal...ons70_samples/

This thing takesawesome pictures. (Pretty girl too):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...0_samples.html

Cheers.

shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 3:20 AM   #3

but inferior vidio than P150. Don't you think so.:?
Old Mar 1, 2005, 7:53 PM   #4

wise wrote:
Quote:
but inferior vidio than P150. Don't you think so.:?
You may be right.I can't imagine good video from a digital camera, anyway. Personally, I'm more interested in stills.

:|

Old Mar 1, 2005, 8:39 PM   #5

thanks shutter bug. Does it mean that S7o gets you better stills than p-150? Have you had occasion to compare? I mean, first hande photo-compare?

Thanks in advance for further enlightenment. I am going to buy one of these to compliment my FZ-20, as a Take anywhere camera.

Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:17 PM   #6

Wise,

Between these two, I would get the S70, with its 28mm lens. Especially, because youalready have the FZ-20.

But I don't have hands-on experience with any of these cameras. Somy advice is for you to get at least two other opinions before you make adecision.

I think theP-150 was replaced by the P-200, which costs about the same... I still like theS70 better than both of these.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:30 AM   #7

wise wrote:
Quote:
Which camera to go for. Canon has 4X zoom against sony's 3X. Sony has better vidio than Canon. Canon has more manual controls(although that is not essential but nice to have).

Will any users enlighten please?
I recently bought the Sony P200 for use as a compact camera when hauling around our Canon digital SLR wasn't practical or convenient. I looked hard at the S70 but the Sony's size made the difference for me. If the size difference doesn't mean that much to you then I would recommend the S70. The 28mm wide angle is a very nice feature and the additional manual controls gives more flexibility should you want to get creative. If all you want to do is point and shoot then, IMO, the decision comes down to the Sony's size verses the Canon's 28mm lens.
PicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 2:58 AM   #8

I have the P150 as a pocket camera to supplement my D70 kit. Fine for snaps as long as flash isn't needed when pictures get blurred for some reason. The control wheel on the back of the P150 turns very easily, so you have to watch that it is correctly set all the time.

I previously had the Olympus 5060, which was ten times as good as the P150, but it was stolen. I recently had the chance to try an S70 and would love to own it for several reasons:-

1) Manual control override. I prefer shooting in aperture priority to control the depth of field. You can set this camera up as you want to, or just leave it on auto if you don't want to be creative.

2) The wide angle lens. Unless you have ever had a 28mm lens you won't believe the difference it makes. Indoor shot become easy, not cramming yourself back in the corner to get everbody or everything in!

Both are 7mp cameras, but for me there is no comparison. The Canon wins hands down in every way.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 6:18 AM   #9

Thanks shutter, pic , cameran!

I guess the die is cast then. It is s70 then. I guess it is my destiny to own awsome still pic cameras with mediocre vidios( FZ-20 vs Canon S1 IS, s70 vs p150). SO BE IT.

Thanks again for all the inputs.

PS: BTW what has gotten into Dave of imaging resource, to praise p150 so? Fast, tremendous detail, VHS class vido at 640*480? Well, i was almost misled into beleiving that FZ-20 was also not so good as A95/A85 etc. That is the reason I asked the experience of the users because it is defficult to believe the experts.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 6:19 AM   #10

One more thing. In picture s70 looks pocketable. Is it really so?:|