Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:34 PM   #1

Hi,

I thought I had my mind made up on the Canon SD300. I really liked its size and quality. I would have liked manual shutter & aperture controls, but its size convinced me that I wouldn't miss manual control very much.

Then I read about the SD500…

This suddenly became my top choice. It has a larger CCD and 7mp. From what I can tell, it allows shutter or aperture priority. The reviews weren't too clear on this – could someone please clarify?

Ok, so it sounds like a no-brainer: choose the SD500. The only problem is that it isn't available until late March. The whole reason I started looking for a digital camera was because I'm traveling to Mexico this Friday (3/4) and would like to have a digital camera with me. I currently only own a film camera (Olympus XA). Of course, switching to digital is something I've wanted to do for a while, but the Mexico trip became the catalyst.

Do you think the SD500 is worth passing up having a digital for my trip, or is it not all that much beyond the SD300?

Thanks,

Scott
mgmidget72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2005, 7:21 PM   #2

mgmidget72 wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I thought I had my mind made up on the Canon SD300. I really liked its size and quality. I would have liked manual shutter & aperture controls, but its size convinced me that I wouldn't miss manual control very much.

Then I read about the SD500…

This suddenly became my top choice. It has a larger CCD and 7mp. From what I can tell, it allows shutter or aperture priority. The reviews weren't too clear on this – could someone please clarify?

Ok, so it sounds like a no-brainer: choose the SD500. The only problem is that it isn't available until late March. The whole reason I started looking for a digital camera was because I'm traveling to Mexico this Friday (3/4) and would like to have a digital camera with me. I currently only own a film camera (Olympus XA). Of course, switching to digital is something I've wanted to do for a while, but the Mexico trip became the catalyst.

Do you think the SD500 is worth passing up having a digital for my trip, or is it not all that much beyond the SD300?

Thanks,

Scott
Hi,

Would you be able to take some film shots just for the time being, but wait until the SD500 comes out. At least you can get the camera you want and still have some photos of your holiday to Mexico? It seems you may have a win-win too. :|
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 11:53 AM   #3

I think that is the direction I'm leaning right now.

Does anyone know if the SD500 does have aperture and shutter priority? I have found conflicting reviews.

Thanks,
Scott
mgmidget72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:39 AM   #4

All I can do is WARN YOU that the SD series from Canon produces far lower quality images than their other cameras- although they are slim and fast to startup, it's at the price of a poor focusing mechanism AND noisy images. I made the mistake of getting the SD300- a huge error except for family snapshots. I strongly advise that you avoid the SD series and instead look at Casio or Sony for small cameras. Otherwise the S series (S70 etc) though slow and a little bulkier, give much better images.
Photopain is offline   Reply With Quote