Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:03 PM   #1

Hi folks,

I work with young children, and they don't hold still for very long. I have a Nikon CoolPix 880 (3.2 MPixel, 4+ years old) that works fine but has a long delay between pressing the button and taking the shot, and a similar delay between shots. What do you recommend that fits these priorities

1) minimal autofocus and shutter lag
2) small shot-to-shot delay
3) pocket sized
4) modes like backlight and beach/snow
5) 3MPixel or more
6) price range $150 - $400
bill_torcaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2005, 12:30 PM   #2

I've been using a Canon SD300 and it meets all your specs nicely.

It's very fast with little lag time and with a high speed SD card you can set it on continuious mode, hold the button down, and take 2-3 photos a second until the card fills up.

Cheers
jevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 1:54 PM   #3

Try Sony P200, its cheaper than SD300 higher MP, longer battery life, info lithium (shows how much time left on battery).
ftahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 7:57 PM   #4

Another vote for the SD300 here. It blows away EVERY other compact digital camera I have used for speed... including Nikons, Casios, Sonys, ect... even other Canons. Fro size/quality/speed, the SD300 is the best I have seen.
David
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 5:26 AM   #5

According to Steve's review of the Casio QV-R62, its shutter lag matches that of the SD300. Here is what he had to say about it in conclusion:

"Bottom line - With an MSRP of only $299, the Casio QV-R62 offers an awesome value. Normally cameras in this price range fall into the class of entry-level consumer digicams, but its speed, size, features and photo quality are comparable to higher-end cameras costing much more. This is a camera that can be used by the entire family, while still offering usefulness for the more advanced user with its wide variety of image adjustments."
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 5:47 AM   #6

I own a Sony P200. Very happy with it. Go check out some of the sample pics users have taken in the Sony section.
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 7:36 AM   #7

Another vote for the Sony P200 - for the same price as the SD300, you get 7 mpgs, and virtually no shutter lag (.9 secs) - I use Sandisk Ultra II memory stick and there is NO DELAY between shots. I owned the SD200 - the SONY's image quality is superior.
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote