Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 1, 2005, 6:56 PM   #1

I am brand new to this and would love some suggestions. This camera will be used for everyday family type pictures. It needs to be easy to use, and hopefully durable.

We also would like a good image. Features such as good battery life, type of batteries, and media storage are also important.

Size and esthetics are less important for us. We've heard about the ease of Kodak cameras - is this good advice, and also are there any other brands / models we should consider? We are looking at a 3 - 4 mega pixel camera.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

emergency_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2005, 7:31 PM   #2

I'd say that the A75 or A510(basicly the same model with a few differences) is an excellent camera. It offers you lots of manual controls, but is at the same time very easy to use in Auto mode or in P mode(nearly all auto, but better). It also has a good number of scene modes, so it can help you take pictures in situations where the Auto mode isn't so great, but where you don't want to go in manual mode. The image quality is excellent.

I do not own any of those cameras, but I own the A95 which is very similar to them in terms of image quality, manual controls and everything.

The A75 has a lens that goes from 35-105mm which is very nice, the A510 has it even better, the lens starts at 35 and goes up to 140mm. Now if you don't know what that means, well 50mm is basicly what your eye sees. Anything above that brings objects closer thus reducing the field of view, very good for far objects. Anything below that puts objects further, thus increasing the field of view, very good for familly pictures or for scenery.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:30 PM   #3

I would highly recommend the Canon A75, or Canon A85 (4 Megapixel's, which basically means slightly sharper photo, larger in size, meaning more cropping and editing options than the 3 Megapixel A75. I would also not advise getting the new Canon 510's or 520's (the 4X zoom, replacements for the A75's and A85's. Why?! Because reviews at dcresource.com show that the redeye is horrible with the new models. It's a pain to remove in software, why did Canon mess something so great up? Oh well.

I sell cameras for a living at Office Max, and I can tell you, I have personally never had a Canon come back with a customer being unsatisfied. Highly recommended models.

Enjoy whatever you choose, but you really can't start off wrong with a A series.

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 11:50 PM   #4
KSV

A75 for starter - totally agree.

Good luck! :|
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 5:14 AM   #5

Have there been any reports of the "e18" error message with the A75? I think I've heard of an A85 with the problem. I know it occurred through the A70 because I had the problem with that model.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:42 AM   #6

Depending upon what you want, you could consider the Canon S1 IS. It has the super zoom 10X that is image stabilized so it compensates for shake at long zooms. You can shoot an animals eyeball at a quarter mile... It is 3.2 megapixels but you sound like you are not going to need MEGA pixels. Anyone can pick it up and start shooting or if you get into it, you can learn a lot the manual features that will start you drooling for more in a couple of years. And since it is a little over a year old, the prices are falling fast.

There are a couple of others out there such as the Z 10 15 20, check your walletthat are comparable, but I like the S1 because it uses compact flash memory (which I had a boatload of in my prior camera) which will work on any upgrades (can yo say digital SLR's) you might make in the future and double A batteries with a good battery life. Get rechargeables though for economy.

Kavoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:49 AM   #7

Kavoom wrote:
Quote:
Depending upon what you want, you could consider the Canon S1 IS. It has the super zoom 10X that is image stabilized so it compensates for shake at long zooms. You can shoot an animals eyeball at a quarter mile... It is 3.2 megapixels but you sound like you are not going to need MEGA pixels. Anyone can pick it up and start shooting or if you get into it, you can learn a lot the manual features that will start you drooling for more in a couple of years. And since it is a little over a year old, the prices are falling fast.

There are a couple of others out there such as the Z 10 15 20, check your walletthat are comparable, but I like the S1 because it uses compact flash memory (which I had a boatload of in my prior camera) which will work on any upgrades (can yo say digital SLR's) you might make in the future and double A batteries with a good battery life. Get rechargeables though for economy.

Seconded... another very good camera.

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote