Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:16 AM   #1

Hi folk,

A friend wants to get an easy-to-use camera, & can pay up to £300 /573 dollars for it. He will use it almost exclusively while travelling, photographing landscapes and people.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

abw,

Canna
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:05 PM   #2

Since there are about a thousand cameras out there that will satisfy your stated requirements, my recommendation would be to let the readers know how many megapixels you need, how much zoom you want (if any) and any preferences as to battery type, memory card type, overall size/physical appearance (again, if any,). If you are in a remote location and are limited in selections, you might also let the readers know what brands are available to you, so no one wastes any time trying to recommend an camera you can't get.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 1:50 AM   #3

Actually I think the answer is quite simple given the needs stated. Landscapes require a wide angle lens, as do people in indoor shots, so this limits the camera choice. Perhaps the Canon S70 is a bit tight on the budget but it is a superb camera though. If the size isn't that important you could look around for the Olympus 5060 which is discontinued awaiting the new 7070 but a damn good camera nevertheless. I know, I had one till it was stolen. Come to think of it the Canon S60 would be just as good as the S70 since with 5 megapixels it will cope very well with any prints up to and including A4 and fits nicely into the budget, being light and portable at the same time. On reflection I'd go for that, You can even buy a car charging kit to plug in to the cigar lighter if renting a car, but anyway it uses a lithium ion battery which will give 150/200 shots before needing recharging. Memory is compact flash, which is about the cheapest of the formats and a 1GB card, enough for 400 photos I guess, will only be about $80.

With the S60 I don't think you can go wrong. Light and reasonably compact, good lens, good battery life, and all you need I reckon, and available within the UK for under £300.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 3:27 AM   #4

Hi Phil and Cameranserai,

Many thanks for your comments & taking the trouble to follow this up.

In fact last night I went into the Canon section on this forum and got whirled around in a long argument about the pro and cons of various Canon cameras....and realised the more I knew the less I knew!

Other checks on what people have said in the past in this section, also made me think again....

I have now told my friend to go to his nearest highly recommended dealer (travelling miles if necessary), andlet them grill him about his requiremnts, even those he doesn't know he has.

I'm going to ask him to mention the Canon S60 to them. It sounds excellent.

Many thanks again for your help.

abw, Canna
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote