Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 2, 2005, 8:45 AM   #1

Hi!

I am hoping that I can get some advice on picking one of these two cameras. I am completely new to digital cameras. My husband gave me a Sony DCP 73 for Christmas and we were very disappointed in it. The first one had a manufacutring defect regarding white balance. the second one overexposed all pictures no matter where they were taken, what setting, etc.

I am looking at the Canon A510 or the Nikon 4200 as a replacement. I like the Canon for the zoom, AA batteries, and that it has a small memory disk with it (so we can at least try it before buying a bigger card). I like the Nikon for the red eye reduction, 4 mp, and the fact that it has been on the market for a longer period of time than this particular Canon model.

We take pictures in many types of settings, but don't do 8 x 10 enlargements.

Thanks for your help!

Glenna
Glenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:07 PM   #2

Hi!

I'd like to thank you for your help. I went on and bought the Nikon 4200. After reading the "pro" review at dcresource I was a little spooked about the red eye issue and the possible shutter lag with the Canon. I saw that I might have been able to get the 4600 through Circuit City, but not being able to see actual user reviews was kind of a downside plus looking at the technical information on the Nikon website led me to believe that they may have cut some things out. Granted it may not have mattered since I am absolutely new to digital cameras and we really haven't explored the full potential of my husband's Pentax SLR, but I'm hoping to be able to learn how to use some of the advanced capabilities sometime.

I've taken and developed 4 pictures because I wanted to be sure that this camera would be better than the Sony. I know that 4 pictures probably isn't a very good test, but I knew with the first couple of pictures withboth Sony cameras that we had a problem. All4 of the pictures came out beautifully with no "help" when developed on the Kodak Picture Maker.

I am really wondering if Sony has a quality problem with the Sony DSCP 73 since all but about 3 or 4 reviews on the Circuit City website were fairly positive. Those 3 or 4 reviewers had the exact same problem that I did with the pictures coming out way too dark.

Anyway, thanks again!

Glenna

Glenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:11 AM   #3

Glenna,

From all of us,you're verywelcome! Come back whenever you havemore questions about your camera or photography in general.

Enjoy your new Nikon!:|
shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote