Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 2, 2005, 2:22 PM   #1

Hi!

I'm hoping to get an opinion on the Canon A510 and the Nikon Coolpix 4200. I am completely new to digital photography and could sure use some help. My husband gave me a Sony DSCP 73 for Christmas. The first one had a manufacturing defect related to the white balance (there was no way to adjust it) and the second one all pictures came out too dark no matter what the camera setting was (even automatic) and no matter what conditions the picture was taken in. So we ended up returning it as well.

I have been doing a lot of looking around and reading user reviews and have come down to these two cameras, however, I'm not sure which would be the better of the two. On the Canon I like the 4x zoom, AA batteries, that it comes with a minimal memory card (at least enough to see if we like the pictures before buying a memory card), and that it seems to have positive reviews. On the Nikon I like the 4 MP, red eye reduction, the fact that it has been out for a while, and that it too has mainly positive reviews. When I went to a local store to look at the cameras, I was impressed with the appearance of both. The sales person was pushing the 4200 until she realized that they didn't have any in stock and then the Canon became the better of the two.

We will use the camera in varied situations -indoors, outdoors, but probably not very much at night. We will probably most often develop the pictures in a 4 x 6 format, but probably not any enlarging up to an 8 x 10. Because i'm new to digital photography I do want something that is fairly easy to use or at least has a good owner's manual. The idea is to take this camera when we will be somewhere that my husband doesn't want to drag his Pentax 35 mm with the flash bar.

Will the 3 MP on the Canon vs the 4 MP on the Nikon make a great deal of difference on the 4 x 6 picutres?

I guess I'm too cautious, but I've done so much reading that I'm getting buggy eyed:?.

Thanks,

Glenna

Glenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:05 PM   #2

Glenna wrote:
Quote:
When I went to a local store to look at the cameras, I was impressed with the appearance of both. The sales person was pushing the 4200 until she realized that they didn't have any in stock and then the Canon became the better of the two.
Will the 3 MP on the Canon vs the 4 MP on the Nikon make a great deal of difference on the 4 x 6 picutres?

I guess I'm too cautious, but I've done so much reading that I'm getting buggy eyed:?.
Sales people are told to pushthe product the store is trying to get rid of.S/he probably thought they had a pile of Nikon 4200's sittingback there. You're smart for seeing that.

You're not beingoverly cautious. It'salways good to do your homework if you have the luxury of time.

Cheers.:|
shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:16 PM   #3

:|
Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:17 PM   #4

Are you sure you're looking at the 4200?? The Nikon 4600 looks much more attractive. See link:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/

(more homework!!)
Old Mar 2, 2005, 8:51 PM   #5

Hi Shutterbug!

Yes, I was looking at the Coolpix 4200. I haven't seen the Coolpix 4600 in any of the local stores. I saw on the review site that it was just released on the 16th of February which may be why I haven't seen it. I wonder if the 4200 is going to be discontinued and that is why our local Circuit City is sold out & an answer from the online store was that they would not guarantee the price that they had on it ($207.99 after rebate)??? I will have to keep an eye on the 4600....

The other part of the question is will there be a major difference in picture quality from a 3 MP to a 4 MP camera as long as you are only printing 4 x 6 picutres?

Thanks,

Glenna

Just went to the Amazon website to read more about the Coolpix 4600 & it says that their release date for the camera isApril 5th. I'm not sure we'll wait that long (even though it is only a month away) to get a camera....

Glenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:37 PM   #6

Glenna wrote:
Quote:
3mp is considered the minimum for 8x10, so it should be more than satisfactory for 4x6. As long as you are comparing cameras with lenses of equal quality, you will not see any difference between 3 and 4 mp when printing 4x6.

If I were you, I would consider waiting for the reviews to come out on the A510. I'm sure it will be a nice camera, but some comments I've read recently talk about long write times and long shot-to-shot times when using flash.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:28 PM   #7

PhilR. wrote:
Quote:
If I were you, I would consider waiting for the reviews to come out on the A510. I'm sure it will be a nice camera, but some comments I've read recently talk about long write times and long shot-to-shot times when using flash.

PhilR.
Here's a review on the Canon A510:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a510_a520-review/index.shtml

By the way, Amazon.comseems to be slower at gettingnew product than someof the other retailers from what I've seen.
:|